+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default When to stop using formula

I'm here, yet again with another feeding question haha

DD is 13 months (12 mo adjusted) and I'm unsure when to stop using formula.
    She is currently on karricare aptimal gold + stage 3 and has 3-5 200ml bottles a day (I know that's a lot but she eats HEAPS, but she still wants a bottle)

Chn #1 - recommends to continue with it formula as long as she has a bottle. As it has extra nutrients etc for a growing baby. Also said to give her as many bottles as she wants.

Chn #2 - stop formula, use full cream milk, and only 3x 180ml bottles per day... She says stage 3 is a marketing scam, and only really needed by kids who are fussy eaters and may not be getting enough nutrition (no way is this my lo!)

So I'm a bit confused as they are both recommending very different things and I'm unsure what to do.
    Any advice and suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks x

** Depending on the out come of this post I may be also posting a topic about formula brands, As im not happy with karricare aptimal stage **

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Everyone will have differing opinions - but health wise, they do say cows/soy/goats etc milk is fine from 12mths.

If your lo is eating heaps then there's really no need for the formula - but not going to do any harm if you prefer to stay on that. Is it more expensive?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Pesca77 For This Useful Post:

perthmumm  (01-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I switched the girls to LF full cream milk at almost 1. For 2 reasons, I was struggling to afford it and they had cut down so much anyway and were eating plenty of food.
    I agree with the second opinion you were given but as PP said there are lots of differing opinions, just go with what you feel comfortable with.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsOhara For This Useful Post:

perthmumm  (01-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

I'm not a fan of cows milk as it has no where near the nutrients of formula ( no iron, no vitamin D especially, which I think is really important for toddlers)

I kept my DS on his stage 2 goat formula until 18 months ( which was only about 400ml a day) as I felt it was a better choice than cow milk and he was also a great eater

If you do choose cows milk I suggest a fish oil or vitamin D supplement and try not to let her drink milk with meals as dairy hinders iron absorption

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

perthmumm  (01-12-2012)

αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews

I'd rather continue with formula then feed cows milk that is less meant for your bub than formula.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to αληθη For This Useful Post:

perthmumm  (01-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

When my DD turned 1 she was on 5 bottles a day. I was reluctant to cut back as she wasn't a good eater. It was like a switch flicked in her not long after that and she did become a great eater.

So I dropped it back to morning, day and night bottles. Them dropped the middle one. Today I cut the breakfast one. In a few weeks the night time one will go. She is 15 months now.

I'm keen to ditch the bottle soon as I know she will only get more and more hooked on it, and it will get harder to take it off her. She loooooves her bottle, but I don't want her to be 3 and still having it. I just give her a sippy cup of cows milk where I used to give her a bottle.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

perthmumm  (01-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

DD is 20ish months and still has a bottle of formula at night. It gives me piece of mind coz she's not an awesome eater. It's not that she's fussy, she'll eat anything u give her if she has chosen to eat at that meal! So for me at least I know she has some goodness in her before bed!

Fwiw we use S26 gold toddler. We have used s26 gold the whole way through as that's what the hospital had and she responded to it so I couldn't see the point of changing! (Plus our local iga stocks it so I could get it in an emergency. Always a plus!)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Pipsicle For This Useful Post:

perthmumm  (01-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

DS had karicare gold until he was about 29 months

15. The Following User Says Thank You to MummaJez For This Useful Post:

perthmumm  (01-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I stopped formula around 13/14m. This was transition slowly (mixing formula with cows milk over time). Also transitioned from bottle to sippy cup. Plus lots of cheese, yoghurt and custard made with milk (the Heinz organic powder)

17. The Following User Says Thank You to 2BlueBirds For This Useful Post:

perthmumm  (01-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks everyone - I'd probably prefer to stay of formula, she just seems to young to be having cows milk lol (probably just me trying to hold on to "my baby" haha)
    I'll also talk to her dr, and see what she recommends if not we will just do some trial and error with cows milk
    Thanks again xxx