+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Melbmumma3boyz View Post
    Acerbaby that's a pretty good idea as I really dont want to offend anyone either but earlier on in the post a lady came on and said she couldnt pm me as i'm a newbie! not sure how I can receive pm's maybe I need to post more topics or something?

Sonja I do know of fitzroy and yes it is very inner city living I lived in coburg myself before having children but then moved south of the city where I currently live now.

Here in Vic the children need to have turned 5 by the end of April to attend school that year but over in WA I think iv'e read that they have to turn 5 by the end of June the year they attend is this correct?
    so with DS1 he can start school here once he turned 5 as he is an early feb baby but my DS2 cant start til the following year as he turns 5 at the end of June.

So should I be looking for Pre-schools instead of a kindergarten?
    I Pm'd you! last week I think. I am pretty sure it went through, I'll go back and check. I teach 5/6 years olds.
    In wa, they start kindergarten if they are 4 by end of june but some are turning 5 after june if that makes sense.
    Pre primary is five before end of june and then some turn 6 after june. PP will be compulsary next year. Kindy not, but is rare that kids don't attend. Kindys are attached to schools now unless you go with a community kindy or one through day care.
    here is a wa calculator:
    http://www.det.wa.edu.au/curriculums...le-id-11572345
    hope I am allowed to put the link in?!
    Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: Moving to Perth with young children- which suburbs to you suggest?

My son does pre kindy half day a week (3+) next year kindy (4 by june 30 2009) 3 days wk, 2014 he'll be full time pre school

**Mum, Dad, Big boy (Dec 08) and Baby girl (Feb 11)**

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Melbmumma3boyz View Post
    Acerbaby that's a pretty good idea as I really dont want to offend anyone either but earlier on in the post a lady came on and said she couldnt pm me as i'm a newbie! not sure how I can receive pm's maybe I need to post more topics or something?

Sonja I do know of fitzroy and yes it is very inner city living I lived in coburg myself before having children but then moved south of the city where I currently live now.

Here in Vic the children need to have turned 5 by the end of April to attend school that year but over in WA I think iv'e read that they have to turn 5 by the end of June the year they attend is this correct?
    so with DS1 he can start school here once he turned 5 as he is an early feb baby but my DS2 cant start til the following year as he turns 5 at the end of June.

So should I be looking for Pre-schools instead of a kindergarten?
    Kindergarten is part of the school system in WA. Get in contact with your local primary schools if you want to enquire about kindergarten (which is a 2 day a week program). Great part is it is free as it is part of the education system

To attend kindergarten they need to turn 4 by 30th June, and to attend Pre Primary (1st year of fulltime school) they need to turn 5 by 30th June. So it looks like your DS2 will be starting school a year earlier in WA then he would in VIC.
    Last edited by Pina Colada; 10-12-2012 at 07:11.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Moving to Perth with young children- which suburbs to you suggest?

I grew up in wa and from a kids point of view go to a suburb close to a beach if you can, I have so many memories of going to the beach every afternoon in summer, some of the best beaches in the world

jezikas is offline Mum, House Wife, Student, Employee
    Thanks
    Reviews

I've lived in Perth my whole life and can tell you in every shire, city and town there are areas to avoid. But with all the estates going up rapidly this is constantly changing. Like kwinana, Armadale is an area most would avoid because of the bad wrap. But all the money the state is spending on transport, schools, shopping centers and parks is really bringing in the young families because they are affordable. Our two suburbs we are looking at building in are Byford and Wellard. But again they are sooo popular and even though a rental may be advertised for $400/wk on application people are are offering higher offers to ensure they get the rental eg. $500/wk. I love Mandurah and we holiday in Madora Bay annually. Some would say Rockingham is rough but I love it and when my hubby has a job closer to Rockingham we'd happily move there. We currently live in Wungong which is between Byford and Armadale. Bike riding distance to bus, train station and shops. Rent is cheap an we don't have anyone walking around the streets at night because it is a rural setting and nothing to really offer the few trouble makers out there. Some would also turn their nose up at Langford, but again a lot of money has been spend to tidy up and my aunty has lived there for over 30years and not had any trouble at all. I have lived in cannington, beckenham, thornlie, langford, Belmont, Wungong, cloverdale and Mundijong. The only place we had any trouble was cloverdale but we were near a park, backing the Tonkin hwy so was more location than anything.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I would start calling schools regarding the kindergarten program ASAP, as soon as u pick an area. As the kindy program is not compulsory schools can turn u away if their Kindy classes are full (if u haven't applied by the time applications close, which was in August when we first applied). So if that is the case u may have to try a few schools. I'm certain u'll find one though, it's just something to be aware of. =)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Plan2bamummy View Post
    I grew up in wa and from a kids point of view go to a suburb close to a beach if you can, I have so many memories of going to the beach every afternoon in summer, some of the best beaches in the world
    I really agree with this. We went from living in North Fitzroy to 500 metres from the beach and our life is amazing for 3 young kids. We often go to the beach in summer straight from school. DD1 was terrified of waves when we first moved here (typical inner city child who saw beach once a year) and now boogie boards confidently on her own right out from where we sit on the beach. My kids are sun-kissed and constantly covered in sand. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Just to put it out there have you looked at Woodlands or Scarborough? Scarborough is close to the beach and it's very high density living but there are beautiful pockets. Woodlands is also expensive but there are still good reasonable houses to rent. You're also very close to Innaloo which has heaps of shops, as well as Karrinyup shopping centre. We live in Trigg and it is so different to my life in Melbourne, but we're really happy.