+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Melbmumma3boyz View Post
    Pippy&woof- I am from Launnie and I agree totally with you on the lack of shopping options available! they doo need and ikea and an aldi down in tassie but i still prob wouldnt live there iv'e gotten so used to the melb with all it has to offer.

Hubby has changed his mind again and is now looking NOR up towards Joondalup and Kinross area as a friend from his work suggested this area would be perfect with young kiddies.

Im still trying to find some kindies that do 4yo up there that arn't full time care centres. I did find a playgroup/ child health centre/ 3yo centre but i cant remember the name.

Lakeside Plaza looks massive with pretty much everything you need except it doesn't open til 11am on a sunday!!
    All shopping centres in perth open 11am on Sunday. We only had Sunday trading recently. I haven't found it a problem (we're from Melbourne but I personally like the fact most people here don't shop on Sunday).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yep, shopping starts late on a Sunday and until recently, there were only about 3 areas that were allowed to open on a Sunday at all. Joondalup is getting either a David Jones or a Myer (sorry cant remember which) soon.

People are often 'north' or 'south' and dont generally move to the other (the divider is the Swan River in the city).

I'm north, and agree with the pp regarding the Kwinana area (also from teachers who have taught in the area) that I wouldn't move my kids there. In saying that, there area certain areas north that don't have very good reputations too.

Mandurah is a different story altogether. Housing is cheaper an there are lots for kids to do there, there are FIFO transport busses going to the airport all the time. The beaches and estuary are good, and lots of school options. Keep in mind it still has a 'regional' feel to it and your kids would have to travel to the city if there's anything they want from there, but the train is easy.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Moving to Perth with young children- which suburbs to you suggest?

I would rephrase what a lot of people are saying if I could... I would avoid the OLD areas of kwinana. The new areas, like wellard, are really nice, without the problems these people are mentioning

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week

I second or third or forth Mandurah. It has a real community feel. Only 15 minutes away from a fantastic hospital in Rockingham. A lot of great schools in and around the area. I would be wary of coodanup though but the rest is pretty good, even the outer suburbs of Mandurah like Madora bay, safety bay, falcon, erskine, north and south yunderup, Greenfield's, Ravenswood, pinjarra, halls head, Dudley park, lakelands, dawesville, Miami.

Sent from my magical black talky thingy using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sonja are you able to compare any suburbs from melb to those over in perth?! prob a bit hard but it's nice to get another melbournians opinion on perth suburbs!

I did have a look at the Mandurah area but I feel that it really is a bit of a hike by public transport into the cbd for hubbys work but it does look like a really nice area and the rentals seem to be a bit more affordable

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Hi

Probably not very easily, as we moved to Perth when I was 6 months pregnant with DS1 and TBH we don't really get out and about to many different areas. We lived in Fitzroy North when we were in Melbourne and led a very inner city lifestyle. When we moved to Perth we went for the opposite of what we had in Melbourne - we live in Trigg which is 500m walk from the beach and nowhere near great cafes or restaurants.

It depends on what you like and where you lived in Melbourne. Sorry I haven't read back - do you say where you are currently living? While we are much further from the city here than we were in Melbourne, the train is very quick and reliable.

TBH Perth is nothing like Melbourne - nothing at all. We have changed the way we live entirely, and the kids are so much better for it. While DH and I loved living in the innercity, the kids were over it and I don't know how much longer we would have survived with 3 kids living with everyone on top of each other. I'm very happy to give you as much help as I can though.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Moving to Perth with young children- which suburbs to you suggest?

Quote Originally Posted by Melbmumma3boyz View Post
    Pippy&woof- I am from Launnie and I agree totally with you on the lack of shopping options available! they doo need and ikea and an aldi down in tassie but i still prob wouldnt live there iv'e gotten so used to the melb with all it has to offer.

Hubby has changed his mind again and is now looking NOR up towards Joondalup and Kinross area as a friend from his work suggested this area would be perfect with young kiddies.

Im still trying to find some kindies that do 4yo up there that arn't full time care centres. I did find a playgroup/ child health centre/ 3yo centre but i cant remember the name.

Lakeside Plaza looks massive with pretty much everything you need except it doesn't open til 11am on a sunday!!
    Are u having trouble finding kindergartens? My daughter started 4 year olds this year (she was 3.5 years when she started at the beginning of the year). I thought everywhere offered 4 year old Kindy..?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by Pippy&Woof View Post
    Are u having trouble finding kindergartens? My daughter started 4 year olds this year (she was 3.5 years when she started at the beginning of the year). I thought everywhere offered 4 year old Kindy..?
    I think kindy is known as different things between the states. Maybe that could be a reason? I have heard (WA) kindy referred to as prep and (WA) Playgroup as kindy I think.

Sent from my magical black talky thingy using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just a suggestion, maybe pm the op if you have advice of suburbs not to live it. Many people on this site may live in these areas and could easily be offended.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Acerbaby that's a pretty good idea as I really dont want to offend anyone either but earlier on in the post a lady came on and said she couldnt pm me as i'm a newbie! not sure how I can receive pm's maybe I need to post more topics or something?

Sonja I do know of fitzroy and yes it is very inner city living I lived in coburg myself before having children but then moved south of the city where I currently live now.

Here in Vic the children need to have turned 5 by the end of April to attend school that year but over in WA I think iv'e read that they have to turn 5 by the end of June the year they attend is this correct?
    so with DS1 he can start school here once he turned 5 as he is an early feb baby but my DS2 cant start til the following year as he turns 5 at the end of June.

So should I be looking for Pre-schools instead of a kindergarten?