+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: Moving to Perth with young children- which suburbs to you suggest?

I'm kinda out that way though, kelmscott, there are nice bits (bush side) and really rough bits

**Mum, Dad, Big boy (Dec 08) and Baby girl (Feb 11)**

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, We currently live in Brisbane, QLD but my dh has a FIFO job in perth so we are moving in the new year, I have a 2 year old and 9 year old. I was thinking of Mandurah, Any thoughts also.?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I grew up in Mandurah and now live a town closet to Mandurah. I think it is nice.
    It is quieter than Perth which I like. The housing is not too bad. I rent a brand new 4x2 for $360 pw. It has a train line to Perth, nice beaches, good schools. My kids go to a private school in South Yunderup which is nice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Moving to Perth with young children- which suburbs to you suggest?

I live in harrisdale near piara waters and canningvale and love it. Close to armadale hosp, great schools, bus lines direct to the trains. 25 mins to the city from the freeway. And hardly ever need to go to the city. We have so much here and more being built

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks for your reply, I looked at all the perth suburbs but think im falling in love with mandurah, I don't need to be near the city, just hospital schools and shops. and im happy . it is a bit of a hike to the perth airport, But i think that will be ok. I am just wondering how id go about renting. If you have to view the house first. we don't have any family or friends there. I guess we will have to have a little holiday before we move.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    heaps of people FIFO from mandurah. I think there is even a charter bus service that will pick him up and take him to the airport.

If you look at some rentals online and give a real estate agent a call and have a chat they might be able to help you.

I believe south halls head is a good school - we were looking at moving down there last year.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Moving to Perth with young children- which suburbs to you suggest?

Quote Originally Posted by Melbmumma3boyz View Post
    We have been looking around the canning vale area too but again not sure which bits to avoid. I like the fact that it has after hours gp's especially if the kids get sick and have to wait til hubby got home to take them in, I enjoy my shopping centers! With the tafe I was hoping to do the Diploma of Nursing so if we lived up in Joondalup i'd go to WCIT and I think Challenger in Rocky has the course too. I think it would be something i'd look into further once we had settled.

lol we were both talking about it last night and originally I was more SOR suburbs and he was NOR especially the Joondalup area but now seem to have swapped opinions!

Pippy&woof- where in Tas did you live? i'm actually from there originally but have lived in melb for 12 years.
    We lived in Hobart (in Sandy Bay). DH is originally from Hobart (I met him when he was living in Perth) and we moved over there for a bit. It was nice there but dare I say not enough shops! If they had a David Jones, a new Myer and an Ikea I'd be right there! =)

Whereabouts in Tas were u from?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bressar View Post
    I can second the Leeming/Murdoch/Bullcreek areas. Close proximity to the city, public transport, freeway, fremantle. Also has fantastic public and private schools.
    Not sure what youd get rental wise for $450 but as previous poster mentioned rentals are in high demand. You could also try Canning Vale which is only 5ish minutes by car from the above suburbs.
    St John of God Murdoch is a private maternity hospital and you also have Kaleeya for public which is near Fremantle. We also have the new childrens hospital being built next to St John of God.
    Hope that helps
    Good luck with the move!!
    I second the above. Except for Canningvale... I wouldn't go near the area, it's was a hot spot for crime when my dh was a police officer, I suspect it would have only just worse. I would not got anywhere near Kwinana area either, state housing and known spot for rif raf but there are newer suburbs at the end of the freeway near Kwinana, just can't think of the names of them at the moment. Personally I love South of the river, not sure why, I just don't get a warm feeling north of the river. Personal preference really. Hospital wise, no drama there. I highly recommend St John of God Subiacco for a private maternity hospital.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Moving to Perth with young children- which suburbs to you suggest?

Stay away from Kwinana! Apologies if I offend anyone from there, but I did a short stint of teaching at a public high school in the area - the kids were feral! Some clearly stated their greatest ambition was to finish school asap so they could go home to drink and get stoned with their dad, high incidences of child abuse & neglect, one student even asked me if I wanted to be raped. I avoid the area entirely - I have never felt safe in any public places around there.

I live north of the river and we are currently paying $450 a week for a 4x2 - but the owner is increasing the asking rent by $100 per week once we move out in a couple of days. I'd suggest that if there's somewhere asking less than $400 a week for the amount if bedrooms you want I'd seriously research people's opinions and news reports on the area.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Arlais For This Useful Post:

Blessedwith3boys  (09-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Pippy&woof- I am from Launnie and I agree totally with you on the lack of shopping options available! they doo need and ikea and an aldi down in tassie but i still prob wouldnt live there iv'e gotten so used to the melb with all it has to offer.

Hubby has changed his mind again and is now looking NOR up towards Joondalup and Kinross area as a friend from his work suggested this area would be perfect with young kiddies.

Im still trying to find some kindies that do 4yo up there that arn't full time care centres. I did find a playgroup/ child health centre/ 3yo centre but i cant remember the name.

Lakeside Plaza looks massive with pretty much everything you need except it doesn't open til 11am on a sunday!!