+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Ky is offline <--- Ruby, the most precious little red gem ever!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm in Port Kennedy which is right next to Warnbro. It is a nice area, in fact, I find it so much like a seaside village that it feels a lot like I am holiday a lot of the time.

We're only a 10 minute drive to the Warnbro train station and there are great, timely bus services from here. I used public transport exclusively for about 18 months and it was fantastic. The buses and trains are very clean, they run to time most of the time and they are not too expensive.

We're in a 4 x 2.5 x 2 and are currently paying $410 a week. It is in a small link road to a road running close to the beach and we can hear the ocean (and see glimpses from upstairs) when all is quiet at night - it is really nice.

The suburb itself is pretty safe. It has lovely roads without too much traffic and parks around what seems to be every corner! My older kids, who are 11 and 9, have been going to the local shops, playing at the park and meeting up with friends on their own for a couple of years now. They ride, walk or scooter to school at the local public primary and have never had any problems.

There are several public primary schools (strictly zoned like the rest of Perth), a catholic school and a lutheran school. There are many daycares, some of whom I have heard great things about, some not so great - I guess that's the norm though.

I didn't have my little one at Rockingham hospital, but I did have a lot of monitoring there and my DD also had her appendix removed there and I have to say, I haven't been able to fault them at all. We have also spent a fair amount of time at the emergency department and have been pretty impressed there too. Sure, you wait a long time sonetimes, but they have always been courteous and never dismissed my concerns.

The train commute to the CBD isn't too bad - check out the transperth site to look at train lines, their timetables etc and then work out what you would see as your maximum commute time then look at suburbs around there. The freeway isn't too far away from Port Kennedy - takes 15 minutes at the most to get there and being south of the river, it tends to be a lot less congested than north of the river.

In general though, Perth is a wonderful place for families. There are so many parks and activites that families can enjoy and it is a very pretty city. We moved here from NSW 3 years ago and haven't regretted it for a minute. The people are a lot more relaxed and friendly here but do be prepared for some things to take a bit of extra time as there is a very laid back attitude.

Aldi is something I miss, but in general, I have found my finances to not be too bad since we've been here despite paying more for groceries.

We're looking at moving in February as we wish to save for a house. We have seen an admittedly run down, but liveable 3 x 1 in Mandurah for $210 a week, so we're looking at heading down there so we can save for the next 4 years. We plan, however, to buy in the Rockingham region as it is just so nice. DH is FIFO so it doesn't really matter where we live ...

Good luck for your move - hopefully you will be happy here!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ky For This Useful Post:

Melbmumma3boyz  (02-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Port Kennedy sounds really nice but hubby really doesnt want to go that far south he would rather go as far as Warnbro.

Clarkson up North would also be the furthest he would go as thats where the train line seems to finish! prices for rentals arnt exactly cheap he doesnt want to push the $400 mark as we need to save some money and make back what it's costing us to relocate.

He has been looking around the rockingham area now and would like to know if there is any decent areas or pockets which we should keep an eye out for rentals in.
    Is Hillman an ok area? with Warnbro should I keep an eye out for properties on the beach side of the hwy? what about cooloongup or Waikiki?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Moving to Perth with young children- which suburbs to you suggest?

Pt Kennedy is part of Warnbro almost. They are one and the same in some parts... I have a friend who is pt Kennedy, yet her next door neighbour is Warnbro!

In the Rockingham area, I would be careful of cooloongup, as some areas are reknown for druggies. Hillman is quite nice. Waikiki is beautiful, as is safety bay, if you can handle seaweed smells... Remember, no matter where you live in this area, you have the Freo Dr visit every afternoon (the sea breeze). Very rarely does the Dr miss a visit. Lol.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smidget3004 For This Useful Post:

headoverfeet  (03-12-2012),Melbmumma3boyz  (03-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think i'll be waiting patiently every summer day in perth for this so called Dr Freo! I cant stand much of this melb summer at the moment then it rains then it goes back to being sunny so you never put away any seasons worth of clothes!

Ill check out the Waikiki area tonight after the boys go down for the night.
    Maybe I should see if there is any rentals on the Warnbro/ Port Kennedy border and along the beach area.

I know this might be a far reach but has anyone been to Challenger Tafe at all? was thinking once we got settled (if in the rocky area) I might take up a course.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Moving to Perth with young children- which suburbs to you suggest?

I have no idea what the rental prices are (we live north of the river), but SIL and her DH used to have a little unit in Brentwood (south). She used to ride her bike or catch the train to work in the city, as the train station was very close. There was also shops nearby and a school. But like I said, I don't really know what the rental prices are sorry..

We lived in Joondalup and loved it, but as DH works south of the river it was far too long a drive for him every day. We had a nice 3x2 townhouse and that cost $465pw (5 years ago), it went up after we left. We were originally looking at spending under $400pw, but after going to a few home opens and being one of about 30-50 people looking at it we decided to spend a little more.

We live in K a r r i n y u p and absolutely love it, but the rental prices are mostly pretty $$$. Worth looking though, just in case! =)

We also used Grace (I think..) to move back from Tas, and they stuffed up and ended up taking more than 6 weeks to get our belongings to us! We slept on foam mattresses borrowed from my parents and all we had were some deckchairs and a camping fridge!

Ky is offline <--- Ruby, the most precious little red gem ever!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    As smidget said, Port Kennedy is basically part of Warnbro. From one end of Warnbro to the southernmost end of Port Kennedy is approx a 3 minute drive!

Definitely look for "old Warnbro" if you are looking there which is the sea side of Warnbro Sound Avenue. We are only just down from there just past where it changes from Warnbro to Port Kennedy (Grand Ocean Boulevard is the border).

Thanks
    Reviews
    There is still a few property's in the canning vale area around the 400s but you can move to something more comfortable after getting settled. My hubby works in kwinana and it's only a 25-30 min drive down the freeway. Other than that it's 20 mins to the city and fremantle and there is a good selection of shopping centers including westfield and only 20 mins from the airport which makes it a popular area for FIFO workers. I have had no trouble in finding a doctor and there is plenty to choose from ,we also have good public, private hospitals and after hours Gp clinics close by including dentists and other services. The schools are mostly above average around the area and the high school in willetton is one of the top in the state. Anyways hope that helps and if you have any questions just ask we also have a couple of challenger tafes nearby but it depends on what you want to study as to what campus you need to go to.
    Last edited by lulu 2; 03-12-2012 at 19:35.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have been looking around the canning vale area too but again not sure which bits to avoid. I like the fact that it has after hours gp's especially if the kids get sick and have to wait til hubby got home to take them in, I enjoy my shopping centers! With the tafe I was hoping to do the Diploma of Nursing so if we lived up in Joondalup i'd go to WCIT and I think Challenger in Rocky has the course too. I think it would be something i'd look into further once we had settled.

lol we were both talking about it last night and originally I was more SOR suburbs and he was NOR especially the Joondalup area but now seem to have swapped opinions!

Pippy&woof- where in Tas did you live? i'm actually from there originally but have lived in melb for 12 years.

Thanks
    Reviews
    what about the areas of Piara waters and Saville Grove?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: Moving to Perth with young children- which suburbs to you suggest?

They aren't close to trains,buses out that way are a bit blech. Piara waters is nice and new

**Mum, Dad, Big boy (Dec 08) and Baby girl (Feb 11)**