+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DH's company pays all moving costs so we took everything.....it was around $22,000 including cars. The car was $1400 to transport door to door. Going into WA the car needs to be scrubbed clean, I went in one of the car washes that blasts underneath.

When we moved to Perth, I stayed at Mum and Dad's for a couple of extra weeks (it was just after Christmas) and DH was there for delivery of everything, including the car, so it was there when we arrived. On other moves though, DH's company payed for hire of a hire car and car seats.

Definitely take the bare minimum if you are paying for the move yourself. A friend I made in Perth moved back to Melbourne while we were there, and she took the bare minimum with a cheaper company and it was around $3000. She was very happy with them, I can find the name if you like?

Thanks
    Reviews
    hi, my family and I use to live in Perth and I would def recommend the northern suburbs, we lived in Ellenbrook which we loved but it is still a new suburb and while it has nearly everything you need and great schools you do have to go to midland or joondalup for the movies. Also we have friends there that do rent for under $450. We then moved south of the river to save money because rent was a lot cheaper but we really didn't like it and missed living out north.

Joondalup is also another great area and has great drs etc, I had my little girl at joondalup health campus and loved it.

As for moving cost do be careful and only take what you really need, we have moved from NZ to Port Hedland and from Perth to Geraldton and while we are lucky now my husbands work pays for everything I do remember moving from Port Hedalnd to Perth and only taking our fridges washing machine and table plus a few boxes and mattresses and it cost 3 grand. Would also never recommend using Grace as we had the worst time with them when we last moved.

Traveling with little ones is often a challenge and something I have done many times on my own so I usually pack a goody bag with a few new little toys and a portable DVD player but like someone said some airlines have tvs with kids channels so this kept my little girl amused last time we flew back to NZ.

Anyway hope this helps and good luck with the move!
    Last edited by Crzymum24; 01-12-2012 at 08:29.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Melbmumma3boyz View Post
    See my hubby likes the sound of Joondalup and how you've pretty much got everything you need there (minus Aldi of course!) but he has a friend who might be coming over from QLD and he would be working at Kwinana plant so im not sure if he's still want to be NOR when he came over?
    My hubby is now saying he's like something under $400pw if possible as we need to save up some cash to buy a place after the lease ran out on the rental.
    Is the area around Kwinana Station any good? e.g. Pameila, Medina..?

What is the life style like over there are people really easy going? what are the shopping hours like over there? iv'e heard there isnt much late night shopping

It would be nice to find an area where people are welcoming and it has a lot of young working class families about.
    Wellard is near kwinana, there is a train station which takes about 20min to get to the city, it's within that price range and there are some new schools in that area too. We are in Baldivis which is a bit further from the train line but I have bussed/trained into the city and it takes about 40min. Very nice area but rent is about $430-$500 a week a bit less if your on the City side of Safety Bay rd. We have a new primary school which opened 2 years ago and the new high school opens next year. Not sure about shopping in wellard I think the closest one is Cockburn which has big w and a coles (and a woolworths??) and a few specialty shops but you would probably be within 20min drive of another similar sized shopping center as well as Rockingham shopping center which is a major one.

Honestly I am not sure you will find what you have mentioned in the suburbs you have mentioned for $400 a week

I love living SOR

Thanks
    Reviews
    What about the area of Warnbro? theres a train station nearby and a few rentals under $400. the area of Baldivis looks good but considering we will only have the one car DH would like to be able to either walk to the station or take a bus.
    We hopefully will only be renting for a year and then will buy somewhere that has good schools etc. as my DS1 turns 5 in Feb 2014.
    up until then i'll need access to the maternal health nurse clinics, playgroups, kinders and possibly occasional care centre if there is any about.
    I would like to be living somewhere that I can feel safe enough being at home of a night if hubby is staying back at work etc. or if he is away at a conference.
    Also we have a dog and I would like to bring him with us but im not sure if this will have a negative affect on renting a decent property. He is a rottie so not a small dog. MIL has offered to take him for us but somehow I think the kids will miss him greatly but im worried about his

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Moving to Perth with young children- which suburbs to you suggest?

I live just south of Warnbro. In secret harbour. Warnbro has a Woolworths and Coles and is about 15 away from Rockingham shops. Buses go to and from Warnbro train station regularly. I go to parmelia for my pre natal and see Dr bouverie. I am delivering at Rockingham hospital in February. There's heaps of drs around but not sure about obs. Rocko hospital is really good and has just had a major remodelling done

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would definetly choose Warnbro over Kwinana. Mandurah is nice, I don't know if it is too far out of the CBD. Lot's of people do commute on the train. The rent is not too bad.
    Lakelands
    Secret Harbour
    Settler's Hill are some other nice places South.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Moving to Perth with young children- which suburbs to you suggest?

I don't think there would be many houses in the Shelley/canning/Willetton area for under $400 if any as its on the Willetton high school and leeming high school area, so they're often snapped up quick. I have a friend in Langford, it used to be a lot of department housing, but i read in the paper a few weeks back that its 'up and coming', rent there seems to be quite cheap, you're not too far from carousel shopping centre, and there are a couple of day care and private schools.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Honestly, if you can help it, dont bring the dog. We have a 2x1 unit in a crap suburb, not close to the city, it was 320 wk and leased in 2 hours of it going online.

Our tenants are paying 400+ a week now in stratton, which is also not great and a long way out. They applied for 20+ properties, even after giving their dog away. It is crazy.

You may need to take what you can get initially.

Hth

**Mum, Dad, Big boy (Dec 08) and Baby girl (Feb 11)**

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Look into back loading services for cheap removals

**Mum, Dad, Big boy (Dec 08) and Baby girl (Feb 11)**

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Moving to Perth with young children- which suburbs to you suggest?

Hi
    I'm in Baldivis and its just getting bigger n bigger (shops n transport ect) There is a bus that goes to the train station and u should b able to get a rental for $400-$450.
    It's also just off the fwy so really not that far from places