+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Moving to Perth with young children- which suburbs to you suggest?

Hello!

Hubby and I will be moving to perth in the new year and we have 3 young children under the age of 4 and we are after some helpful answers to the following questions:

Which suburbs around perth would you rent in that are in close proximity to the train line? Hubby will be working in the cbd and so far iv'e heard the Bull Creek, Murdoch, Bibra Lakes, Willeton and Lemming area is a good start. Our budget is about $450 at the most until we sell our property here in VIC then we can go a little more crazy. minimum bedrooms would be 3 and if possible a 4br.

What is the health system like over there in relation to Hospitals and doctors? will it be easy enough to find a good doctor that would be taking on new patients? which hospitals are good for maternity?

If anyone else has relocated to perth from the eastern side of Aus and you had young children, how did you manage the long flight over? in our case there will be 3 kids between two of us on the flight - one of which needs to be held as he is only 8mths old but the other 2 will have their own seats.

I think that's all i can conjure up at the moment question wise but i'm sure i'll think of some more soon!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

The rental market is nuts at the moment. I work in a real estate office near-ish to the suburbs you've mentioned (as in 20 or so mins) and we've had 2-3 rentals available over the last2 weeks. Properties are almost guaranteed to be leased after the first home open! So in that respect I suggest you have everything you need to apply ready to go - ID, referees contact details, current/previous employment details, etc. Use the real estate agent who is selling your VIC home as a reference too

In our office our property managers conduct home open style viewings. So if 1 Smith Street is open at 4:30 on Tuesday, they won't show it before then, and you turn up on time or miss out.

$450 isn't *heaps* nowadays. It'll keep you out of the less desirable suburbs but in the more desirable suburbs it'll get you something nice but basic. I don't want to offend anyone by saying which suburbs to avoid, but at work I tell people that the price usually reflects the area! Some of the areas you mentioned are sought after in the sales market so I guess they are as rentals too.

Hope I don't come across as a know-it-all! Just passing on info I've picked up at work

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MoonMoon For This Useful Post:

Melbmumma3boyz  (01-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for replying so quickly!
    Do you mind if you can PM me the suburbs you can recommend or not recommend that way you wont be offending anyone at all?

I think we may have to just apply for a place without seeing it as the company my hubby will be working for needs him possibly early Jan and he still needs to hand in his 4 weeks notice. Will the real estate agents let you just apply without seeing a property?
    I would prefer to get something more basic in a better suburb as we may buy at a later stage.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can second the Leeming/Murdoch/Bullcreek areas. Close proximity to the city, public transport, freeway, fremantle. Also has fantastic public and private schools.
    Not sure what youd get rental wise for $450 but as previous poster mentioned rentals are in high demand. You could also try Canning Vale which is only 5ish minutes by car from the above suburbs.
    St John of God Murdoch is a private maternity hospital and you also have Kaleeya for public which is near Fremantle. We also have the new childrens hospital being built next to St John of God.
    Hope that helps
    Good luck with the move!!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bressar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews

Melbmamma I would message you but it won't let me, I think because you are too new to the site and you need a few more posts/comments under your belt before you get "message privileges"! Canning Vale's a good spot too, a tad further from the freeway but full of amenities!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Here is a link if you want to see some suburbs and opinions
    http://finance.ninemsn.com.au/top100.aspx?state=WA

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Rissy84 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there, You'll find that Perth is more or less split into North & South of the river. Posts so far have been about South, which I know nothing about. I'm North so will give you my opinion. Most suburbs are close to the rail line. I live in Tapping, near Joondalup and Currumbine train lines. I used to work in the CBD. It's an 8 min drive to Currumbine and then 25 mins on the train. Good schools locally. Public have to offer a place if u live in the catchment. Nice shopping centres. Good public and private maternity hospitals. You'll have no probs finding a GP but private OBs do book up quickly. Rentals are hard to find Perth over and like poster before said $450 doesn't go far. As for flights over. I'm off to the uk with a baby and 4 yr old. If I survive I'll let u know how it went 😝 Good luck x

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bellaleggos For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    See my hubby likes the sound of Joondalup and how you've pretty much got everything you need there (minus Aldi of course!) but he has a friend who might be coming over from QLD and he would be working at Kwinana plant so im not sure if he's still want to be NOR when he came over?
    My hubby is now saying he's like something under $400pw if possible as we need to save up some cash to buy a place after the lease ran out on the rental.
    Is the area around Kwinana Station any good? e.g. Pameila, Medina..?

What is the life style like over there are people really easy going? what are the shopping hours like over there? iv'e heard there isnt much late night shopping

It would be nice to find an area where people are welcoming and it has a lot of young working class families about.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi

We moved from Brisbane to Perth for 18 months.

We lived in Carramar, which is near Joondalup and Wanneroo (right next door to Tapping as a PP mentioned - my kids went to Tapping Primary School). It is a very new area. Tapping rent is cheaper then Carramar (or it was when I was there). You do find the odd property under $450. You have less chance of under $400, but there are houses on small cottage blocks that you may be able to get for less then $400.

Joondaup Health Campus seems to be a good hospital, and there is rail way station at Lakeside Shopping Centre, or another at Currambine. Excellent gym and pool facilities at Arena Joondalup. Only 10 minute drive from Byrnes Beach.

Very family friendly area, lots and lots of lovely immigrants from the UK and South Africa.

As for the flight over, I did it from Townsville and there is no direct flight, so I had 2 stopovers with 3 kids under 5 by myself. It was a living hell. But the other flights I had my DH and it was direct to Brisbane and it was fine. If you fly QANTAS they have free TV's with a stack of channels was fantastic.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Pina Colada For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Pina Colada thanks for your reply!

Besides the flight over how did you handle getting a car arranged we are trying to figure out if its worth just selling the wagon we have now and getting another cheaper car over there or maybe putting it on the train that runs from melb to perth? it could take up to 15 days to get our car back once we arrived in perth and it would also have all the car seats in it too. I said to hubby maybe we could put it on the train but hire a car with car seats temporaily til we got our car back.
    what about movalists as the company hubby will be working for doesnt include relocation costs. we are only going to be moving the bare minimum e.g. beds, tv's, fridge etc. unless the cost becomes more than what our gear is worth.

I was thinking of getting some cheap little tablet things for the kids to watch dora or whatever on during the flight but again this is added costs.