+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption
    Thank you for taking the time to reply.

I should point out that the example i gave you happened as i was walking through the door to pick her up. It didnt happen during the day.

123 magic is brilliant, it works for the small stuff. I usually only have to get to two. Unfortunately when she gets this dark look in her eyes, it does not help at all. Its like she is possesed.....

I use the naughty corner also. She actually listens to me when i tell her to go to the naughty corner even in mid tantrum. It doesnt help the situation - only relocates it...

DD goes absolutely mental on sugar so it is a major nono. Even an over ripe banana can make her go loopy.

And Wine - oh what would i do without my best friend!!!

So do you think i should just try and ride it out or should i try to get professional help?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption

Default Stubborn with Attitude

So desperate for help please

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

I have a book about how to react to tantrums depending on age etc. I don't have any kid yet but reading now to try and understand how their brain work

If you are interested I could send you what they advise about tantrums for 3yo. I remember they discourage the use of naughty corner or room time as the kids are not old enough to think back/reflect on what they did and understand the consequences.

Will copy the book tomorrow if you are interested x

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

bpac  (02-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption

Quote Originally Posted by Lili81 View Post
    I have a book about how to react to tantrums depending on age etc. I don't have any kid yet but reading now to try and understand how their brain work

If you are interested I could send you what they advise about tantrums for 3yo. I remember they discourage the use of naughty corner or room time as the kids are not old enough to think back/reflect on what they did and understand the consequences.

Will copy the book tomorrow if you are interested x
    Omg you are wonderful I didn't realise that about the naught corner! Thank you so much

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Maybe you need to look at the other suggestions for consequences listed in the 123 magic book? Sorry I must of missed how old she is but ill go back and look.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Oh she is only 2.5 yeah it's def to long after the even to punish her like that at that age. Try to have a re read of the book a lot of tactics for this age that work best are prevention ones. Watch and distract that simmering pot, don't let it boil over!

Sorry I also wanted to add that remember the basics of 123 magic are less talking more counting and dont forget the little adult assumption!

How do you react when she is having a tantrum?
    Last edited by headoverfeet; 03-12-2012 at 00:23.

Thanks
    Reviews

I've worked with 2.5 year olds and I really think that ppl underestimate how smart that they really are and how aware of what really goes on around them lol. The tantrum thing isn't because of her age it's because she can get away with doing it and she knows it irritates you and stresses you out. I am aware that children will behave differently for different ppl, does she chuck tantrums for an hour and a half at daycare? I doubt it so you should ask them what they do or how they deal with it. Do you feel you are communicating with her properly? Did you ask her why she hit the daycare worker, whether she likes being hit and that it's not acceptable to do that? And then if you aren't satisfied with her answer then put her in time out. Even if she is screaming and balling and carrying on I wouldn't let it go on for too long. Call her over while she is carrying on and ask her if she knows why she was put in time out and what the right reaction should have been. If she can't answer you she isn't ready so back she goes. I would try this three times max. 2 minute sittings. I couldn't handle a screaming kid for a long time!!!!! If she doesn't communicate with you over that time you still need to show her who is in charge and perhaps that is when u take a favorite toy away or something for a period of time.
    At the end of the day kids know what they can and can't get away with.... It's so frustrating!!!! Kids no matter how young they seem understand the relationships and how to manipulate circumstances to get what they want. They will try many ways until they find the one thing that makes you give in. They will keep milking it for all it's worth lol. I've seen all my nieces and nephews in action and I am aware that I don't have children but I have one on the wAy and not a day goes by I wonder if I will let things slide and be persuaded by my lil one. Lol.
    Goodluck and keep your chin up and don't back down by worrying over whether she is going to hurt herself. If she did hurt herself she might learn from her own actions that tantrums are silly and make me sick.

You know it's really our love for our children that creates issues!!!!! Lol