+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption

Default Stubborn with Attitude

Ok, I am ready to snap, I am really really not coping with DD at the moment.

Most of the time she is a sweet, bubbly and very happy little girl. She has good manners, seems genuinely concerned if she sees someone sad or hurt - an absolute angel in public.

But if she does something wrong or is told she can't do something she turns into a completely different 2.5 year old.

Now I am stubborn and so is DP, I figured she was going to be a bit of a handful but this is just too much.

An example: she hit one of the child care workers today, it is a problem we have been working on for a while and she is getting better. When we got home she wanted to watch Pepper Pig. I told her no because of what she did today and she lost it.

I sent her to the naughty corner and told her to stay there until she calmed down. Most kids will carry of for awhile and calm down. Not DD she will not let things go, after an hour and a half and no listening to reason, talking, begging, pleading I ended up taking her for a shower, she eventually calmed down but I was a wreck.

This is usually what happens just different beginnings and I don't know what to do? I can't handle the hitting, screaming, jumping up and down, hysterics anymore

My question is: is this a phase or should I get help?

When she is in one of her stubborn tantrums I look at her face and think how the hell am I going to control her as she gets older? I am so scared she is going to grow up into a really stubborn aggressive girl who we can't handle even though we are doing everything we possible can.

I am so scared that I am a terrible mother and doing everything wrong.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

What do you do when she is having a tantrum?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

bpac  (30-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption

I try to ignore her but after about 20 minutes I start to worry about her hurting herself or overheating and usually try to calm her down, I have tried to ignore it for longer but she will not let things go.

Thanks
    Reviews

I could have written that word for word :-( I'm hoping it's just the age... It's horrible.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to soon2bmumzy For This Useful Post:

bpac  (30-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's such a tiring age!

My only advice is that I think consequences too far after the act are not understood by little ones. Consequences/discipline need to occur immediately so they can link it to the behavior better. I don't think I would have disallowed Peppa Pig in the afternoon/evening at home for something that was done during the day at daycare.

Another suggestion - invest in the book 123 magic. It is awesome (and I am not one to usually subscribe to parenting books and the like).

Hope it gets easier for you soon!

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Barnaby For This Useful Post:

bpac  (30-11-2012),Gothel  (30-11-2012),SoThisIsLove  (03-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeh I have one too. He was a co sleeping , baby worn, filtered watered , no colors or preservatives kid and he still screams like he is being skinned alive even if so much as try and correct him!!

I think in neuro typical kids its a phase for control in some personality types. I also have an autistic child , that's a whole other kettle of fish!!

Good luck , have a glass of red that's what I'm about to do. !!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to babynomad For This Useful Post:

bpac  (30-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

There are 3 things you need to be a mum - love, patience and WINE! lol

12. The Following User Says Thank You to soon2bmumzy For This Useful Post:

bpac  (30-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

2.2-4.3 send them to the nuns ;-)
    Haha I'm upto my third son at this stage and I'm done with the screaming at me for what he wants ! I screamed back bigger and better yesterday in a more hysterical way and he looked at me and walked off! LOL I have only ever mimicked bad behavior once before with my middle child and he was mortified so he put himself in his room !
    It is a phase and it is awful but it's a long string of different phases until about 4 then they become a lot better until 6 when they apparently know it all ! Arghhhhh mums who'd wanna be one ;-)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Kelly8329 For This Useful Post:

bpac  (30-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bpac View Post
    An example: she hit one of the child care workers today, it is a problem we have been working on for a while and she is getting better. When we got home she wanted to watch Pepper Pig. I told her no because of what she did today and she lost it.
    This is far too long after the event, to be an effective discipline method. You need to nip those things in the bud as soon as they happen.

For me, Super Nanny style time out has always been the most effective method for DS. I have always found that no other method has worked, he just does not respond to being talked to and I don't want to use physical punishment like smacking. Often just the threat of time out will make him behave now as he doesn't like it and he knows I will follow through after a warning.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

bpac  (30-11-2012),SoThisIsLove  (03-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    This is far too long after the event, to be an effective discipline method. You need to nip those things in the bud as soon as they happen.
    That's what I was going to say but couldn't get the right words out - thank you!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to 2Bboys For This Useful Post:

bpac  (30-11-2012)