+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm the same as the above poster. We have one in private school now and can just afford to send her, next year we have another going into kindy.
    DF will need a pay rise or a higher paying job for us to be able to live and afford private schooling.
    I don't like the public school in my town and I really would like my children to go to the private school they are at.
    We don't go out for dinners much etc and I sacrifice a fair bit, but I think there education is worth it.
    Now hopefully they become lawyers and help me out one day

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Our fees are the same amount as our car loan repayments, which finish when DS starts school, so we'll just use it to pay the fees instead of repayments.

I'm not above asking my grandmother or parents to chip in either if we need them to.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default How do you afford private school fees? What do you sacrifice?

I always saved my whole life so as soon as we started having children I put a large portion of our savings away to cover the cost of private education and other expenses. Most private schools will actually allow you to pay them off weekly now..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I work to cover private school, after school care, karate, dancing, swimming, music.................. I am a slave to giving my children the best opportunities we can afford. And its worth every penny.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

We both have careers that have decent salaries. But the main thing is that we are saving for it in advance. 13 years in advance! So we will already have the cash when the time comes. Important in case our circumstances change.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

GM01  (30-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

I'm completing a second degree (law) while staying at home looking after dd and the next when we have one. Then when they are both at school I'll start my law career which will pay for all the private school fees.
    Baby plus law degree plus some casual work from home is a hard slog right now, but I'm glad that I'll be setting our family up for all possible options.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

I think we will move to an area with good private schools.

We believe the familial environment is very important in success at school. We both are quite educated, read a lot, no tv at home, etc so we hope that learning environment will make up for the opportunity our kids might miss out by going to public vs private.

I prefer to put our savings in property. That's the theory though - before even having kids or even looking at schools fees etc
    So there are high probability we will change our minds

How much does private schools cost in inner Melbourne?

Thanks
    Reviews

We would like to send our child to a private school. Especially for high school as we live along the mornington peninsula and only two public high schools near us which don't have the best rep. If we have two children we will send them to an independent school as it is much cheaper. I would have to go back to work a few days a week.

But on the other hand if I stayed at home I can educate my child as well as send them to a public school. I am a teacher and do get quite frustrated when parents don't read with their child, encourage writing at home and include them in maths experiences such as cooking, working out change at the shops etc....

Pros and cons to both sides I think!

Thanks
    Reviews

Just priced up DD1 (Yr 1) and DS (kindy) school fees for next year. It will be around $1900 which considering we are out of pocket $400 per month for daycare will be a lot cheaper.
    DD's uniform will be around $300 inc shoes, luckily I got some dresses 2nd hand as they are $75 each brand new! DS doesn't wear a uniform.
    DD's book list was $70.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dh is most likely sacrificing his chance of having a boy haha we always planned on 3 kids, but at the moment we have decided on 2.

We can afford to send 2 to the school of our choice, and once both have started we will re-look at our finances and see if we can afford to have a 3rd child like we always planned.