+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default How do you afford private school fees? What do you sacrifice?

After reading how hard it is for people to get a job in the last while and live somewhat comfortably, I'm wondering how alot of people can afford to pay for private school fees?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Minchi View Post
    After reading how hard it is for people to get a job in the last while and live somewhat comfortably, I'm wondering how alot of people can afford to pay for private school fees?
    A friend who teachers at a private school was saying their enrolments are down for next year as people can not afford the cost. Also children were moving out into public schools due to school fees for next year.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I don't have children of school age yet - but from the research I've done, private school fees will work out cheaper than the current cost of child care for my family.

I'm still undecided as to whether we will go private or not, it will depend on the catchment area we are living in closer to the time. A couple of streets can have a huge difference.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheerilee View Post
    A friend who teachers at a private school was saying their enrolments are down for next year as people can not afford the cost. Also children were moving out into public schools due to school fees for next year.
    I can imagine. I really hope the public schooling system doesn't go really really bad, I know alot of schools go without as it is and it's hard enough. I was reading on the Courier Mail website a few weeks back the number of students some public schools have, and it was staggering. I could not believe it. Our local one has 900 students, even tho there is a catchment area and the other 2 local ones have about 215 odd in them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our private school fees aren't exorbitant. For the 3 of them in primary school it is $3200 total.

They are down at several high schools, and they vary from $12,000 each, to $5,500 each, to both girls for approx. $5000.

DH income is high enough to pay these fees. If this wasn't the case, there is an excellent public school I would send them to, and then I would return to work when they have all started high school to pay the fees.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

We won't be able to afford too. With one yes but not two.
    Last edited by waterlily; 30-11-2012 at 15:49.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I suppose it is dependent on the family income. We can afford to send our kids to private school (fees are very exey at the one we are looking at, but worth it I think) but if we have more than two children, I might have to return to work to do so. I will most likely be back in the workforce at that point anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

I'll go back to work part time to afford to pay DS school fees even though we started saving when he was born!
    my SIL works a second job at Coles doing night fill 3 nights a week to pay for her girls and my sister has just started working full time now (single mum) so she can save to pay for my nieces private high school

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I originally wanted to send Ds1 to a private school which we could have done.... However we have chosen to have a big family (4 kids) and will be sending them all to public primary school.
    I don't work ATM so there's no way we could have given them all the opportunity to attend a private primary school ($20,000+ a year for 3-4 kids)
    We will be basically using my entire wage when I do go back to work to send them all through private high school and live off DH's wage.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to faroutbrusselsprout For This Useful Post:

OS&N  (30-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    We'll probably go private once the girls hit year 5. I don't love our local public high school, but DH and I are both publicly educated and are strong believers in public education.

Hopefully the gonski report is accepted by governments at state and federal levels so public schools don't go broke.

Once they're all at private school we're looking at $60-70k a year. If I'd had my item again I would have moved into a different suburb when we were moving to perth so I could get into a different catchment area for state high school.