+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't get it either. I missed my daughters first Santa photo (she was 2.5 weeks) She was hot, due for a feed and tired. I told the girl to be quick (she wasn't crying but I knew once I took the dummy out it wouldn't be long) There was no film in the camera!! LOL
    So we left

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Forcing Santa photos

This was our first successful year so far. This is DS1s 4th Christmas.

I tried each year but I certainly didn't force the issue. It really isn't that important to me.

Thanks
    Reviews

Double post
    Last edited by 2Bboys; 30-11-2012 at 13:27.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't believe in forcing them. I do force them to wait with me though while their sisters get their done.

When DD#2 & DD#3 were about 4 weeks old I had their photo taken but DD#1 was scared. That was fine but I had a moment of panic until one of the ladies told me she was hiding under her desk!

We had one photo of the girls with me in Santa's chair. Or so they thought. They couldn't understand how Santa got into the photo and was standing behind the chair when he wasn't there. LOL I told him they were scared and he waved at the girls and said he was going for a walk and they could have their photo taken in his chair. Then he walked around the tree and stood behind us and went behind the tree again before the girls realised.

DD#2 was so scared that even daddy wasn't allowed to dress up as Santa. We tried once but she was petrified even though she knew it was daddy. He even wasn't allowed to say ho ho ho in normal everyday clothes because it was scary! DD#2 is still scared and I don't force her but she always decides to get into the photo with her sisters and her younger cousin. If her cousin isn't with us and her sister wants to see Santa then she doesn't want to and thats fine.

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: Forcing Santa photos

I don't get it either. I remember last year seeing a kid climb over her mothers shoulder trying to escape (while screaming her lungs out, clearly petrified), she just about fell down her mothers back but was caught by Dad... Who then tried to place the poor kid on Santa's knee... The poor kid was kicking and screaming. It was horrific. Everyone that was walking past stopped dead and stared. I had to leave, I was either going to burst into tears or launch myself at the parents. I still shudder to think of it.

And what do the parents gain? A photo you can show in years to come and say "oh there you are with Santa, oh you were so scared ha ha, look at your face"

My kids are scared of Santa. I walk them past the grotto and they hide behind me, always keep me between them and the grotto, and RUN the second we are past. And that is at 20 feet away. No way no how would I ever try to sit them on his knee!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Sometimes you don't know how they'll react until the last minute. I remember queuing for hours one day with my 2 to see Santa and they were so excited. I wanted to leave so many times but they were happy so we stuck around. As soon as we got in the room my youngest went weak at the knees and wouldn't go near Santa. Then my oldest decided if DD2 wasn't doing it neither was she. So basically I sat DD2 in my knee and tried to get her in the photo with DD1 standing far away from Santa with a terrified look on her face.

The photo was actually very funny and after it was over they had a ball playing in the play area.

Did I force them? Probably. Did I get a great photo? Not really. But it was one of those less than ideal situations well-meaning parents sometimes find themselves in.
    That's exactly it.
    The 2nd year we went with DS1. He was giggling and smiling. The moment I handed him to the jolly Fatman that was it, full on tears, distressed, and no photo.

The following year, he was the first little boy to sit on Santa's knee. We came early, so he got to see Santa come down the stairs and he came over and shook DS1's hand. He was a little stand offish.
    We managed a good shot, I say next to Santa. DS1's bum was half on my knee and Santa's and they cut me out. It was a good shot. And in the end he loved it.
    This year is the first year with DS2. I am also going to teach DS1 more about Santa before we go this year.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

We are the opposite - DS cries when we leave santa!
    We had ours done yesterday - which was not the intention but whenever 2 yr old DS walks past Santa in the shopping centre he runs over and high 5,s him ( I want to see the outtake photos of other peoples kids sitting on santas knee with my DS barging in their photos trying to high 5 or kiss Santa)
    so as it wasn't busy we had his photos done and it took me ten minutes to get him away from Santa - so I'm carrying a crying DS away yelling out " I want Santa!"

Thanks
    Reviews
    Meh, I've never forced DD if she didn't want to but it's a few seconds of a child's life I hardly think it's going to emotionally scar them forever.

When I was at uni I had a summer job helping with the santa photos. We always took one photo straight away just in case they started crying and then tried to convince them to smile. It was always a triumphant feeling when we got a smiling shot! A few parents considered the "crying on santa's knee" photo a family tradition.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to shelle65 For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (30-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We won't be doing it this year, last year when DS was 2, as pps have said, he was all excited in the queue then as soon as he was put on santas lap, tears. We picked him up straight away and DH, DS and I sat in front of Santa for the photo, which was ok. He's seen Santa at the shops and has already said he does not want to go near him, so there's No way I would force him! Saves me $20 for a crap photo anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews

Last year i went up to the shops to get a photo and DS was terrified. So didnt force him, we spent about 2 weeks just watching others getting their photos taken and talking about it, each time i asked him if he would like a photo too, one time he said yes and we have a lovely photo. Will see how he goes this year but will do the same if needed, i love christmas and santa photos.