+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default How do you keep your outside dogs cool?

With the pool idea like the shell thing that you can get where do you think that it should be put in the sun or in the shade ????

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Shade I'd say otherwise the water will get really hot and it wouldn't be pleasant to lie in

Thanks
    Reviews

My dogs are rotties so are both black in this heat they struggle a little. They don't like water but will stand and lay in their blue shell when it is hot and no one try's to make them.

I freeze blocks in ice cream containers for them, hide treats and frozen veg in the block for them, some times as a treat I put some salt reduced stock in their as well, I have since been told you need to be careful with the stock as the salt can make them more thirsty, so I make sure there is one without stock if there is one with the smallest amount.

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lovepurplebutterflies View Post
    With the pool idea like the shell thing that you can get where do you think that it should be put in the sun or in the shade ????
    Shade, definitely.

Im another who recommends the shell kiddy pools. The amount of times I have caught my water hating chihuahua perching himself on the edge of the massive blow up pool outside is crazy...when its hot we fill a shell pool for our dogs and they both LOVE IT....although last year our Mastiff decided she wanted to be in our pool instead and would just climb right on in whether we were in or not

Thanks
    Reviews

With the Ice block idea we were told by pet barn to put a teaspoon of gravy in it. Then I cut up sausages or ham and put it inside. Our Labrador will only eat it with gravy!

In terms of shaving the animals make sure they are animals they should be shaved. We have a Malamute puppy and there costs are designed to keep them cool in summer and warm in winter!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

So an update on how the dogs handled today's heat - I made them a schmako ice block, I filled an ice cream container with water and put a few whole schmakos in then tore a few up and put in, then froze it. I also gave them a frozen bone each. The bones were a hit, and the ice/ water and schmakos were a hit as the bowl I sat it in was completely dry and empty when we got home. See a pic below for my Jack Russell checking it out lol.
    They hate water but I still hosed them down when we got home, now they're lying under out outdoor table asleep, so they must be comfortable enough :-)
    Attached Images

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's so cute - the ice block is nearly as big as your dog lol!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: How do you keep your outside dogs cool?

That is cute, I'll have to give that a go

Sent from my GT-I9305 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: How do you keep your outside dogs cool?

I'm having trouble with my bunnies, can't bring them.in. cos they'll mate and fight.

My girl was having.trouble so I brought her in, I turn on the sprinkler and leave it running.over their hutches,

Many friends bunnies are dying.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510b using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Bunnies: 1.25 l bottles of water frozen for them to lay on or against if they are hot. Or a large bowl (like the bottom of a big flower pot bottom without a hole) filled with 1/2 bag ice and some water for them to drink/ lie in.
    Make sure there is plenty of shade and moving air.
    If it is really hot, I bring them in to the bathroom and set up a little box hutch, litter etc in the shower with the door closed, and the second in the bathroom or another area until it cools down later in the day.
    Last edited by Zabella; 02-12-2012 at 00:22.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Zabella For This Useful Post:

intruderalert1234  (02-12-2012)