+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default How do you keep your outside dogs cool?

Hello,
    Hubby and I both work full time, we live in Sydney so are expecting 40 degrees today, and 41 tomorrow when we also won't be home for most of the day. We have a miniature schnauzer who is a wooly little beast and a short haired jack Russell. This morning all I could think to do before I left was change their water (they have a bucket which is about 15-20L as well as a smaller bowl, maybe 1-2L). They spend most of their day either in their beds (too hot for that today i'd imagine) or lying near the back door on the concrete which is under a large pergola.
    But does anyone have any ideas of what else I can do to keep my pups cool? They hate water generally so the sprinkler or a kiddy pool are no good, they avoid both like the plague. I've booked the schnauzer in for a haircut next week where I'll get him shaved pretty short, but is there anything else I can do? I don't want to leave them in the house all day coz I don't like dogs being inside and who knows what my boy will pee on lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Fill a large ice cream tub with water and a few food treats and freeze. Then when frozen take the giant ice block out of the container and leave it somewhere for them to lick at.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also I'd still be inclined to pu a few inches of water in a kiddy pool. Our indoor/outdoor dog generally hates water too but if we're not home and she's hot enough outside she'll stand in the water to cool her feet down. She just won't do it if she thinks we're watching...

*disclaimer* kiddy pool, water safety, kids etc etc.

BoyCrazy is offline <MY SWEET BABY GIRL HARPER 9 MONTHS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    lock them inside in the aircon
    get a kong and freeze with water
    fill paddlepool
    make sure plenty of water available to drink (leave a few buckets around)

Thanks
    Reviews

Portable fan?

Thanks
    Reviews

You can buy dog cooler beds, just a nice cold pad for them to lay on

http://www.dealsdirect.com.au/canine-cooler-pet-bed/

Plenty of shade, water and frozen treats.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by WineTime View Post
    She just won't do it if she thinks we're watching...
    Haha how funny are dogs, ours won't play together if they think we're watching, but quite often when I first get up and they haven't heard me yet, I catch them bouncing around on the grass and chasing each other around the backyard. My parents dog also won't eat if anyone is watching!

Thanks for the tips everyone, I'll stop and get them a bone each after work today and will freeze it to give them tomorrow, and will also fill up some containers with water and freeze it, they love eating ice cubes so I'm sure they'll love a giant ice block each :-) unfortunately we chucked out the kiddie pool after a summer of them not using it once (we even put food in there for them and they still wouldn't get in!) so will have a look at home to see if I have something similar for them to stand in.

Thanks
    Reviews

As long as your dogs have plenty of water and lots of shade they will be fine!

Freezing treats as others have said (bones, chicken carcasses, blocks of ice) can keep them entertained and cool for a while too.

I have Samoyeds and my boy is yet to drop his winter coat!?!! It was 43 here yesterday and when I came home they were just as bouncy and energetic as always.

Just don't go taking them for walks or anything until it cools down. Seems obvious but you'd be surprised!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have Pugs so they were inside with the air con programmed to come on around midday. I don't trust them with the whole house so I bought a little baby gate and give them the laundry and hallway. I couldn't trust them in the lounge!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I live in Port Hedland so its 40+ degrees every day. We have a lab and a golden retriever who are outside for a fair amount of time each day. Definitely put some water in an icecream container and freeze or fill a Kong with porridge and freeze. And give the paddling pool a try. If they're really hot they'll do just about anything to cool down.

We also make sure our dogs coats are clipped right down for summer. It makes such a difference.

Enjoy the warmth!!