+ Reply to Thread
    OJandMe is offline I am the strength my children will have.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Calling all landlords- opinions needed please

We are applying for a new house- as the house we are currently in has sold, and the owners want to take occupancy at the end of our lease (Jan 2013).

Dh is currently in a transitional period of employment. He is studying full-time and receives Austudy, in addition to that he'll be doing casual teaching next year...

ANYWAY.... my question: I am attaching this letter in reference to the 'employment section' on his rental application. Could you please tell me if as a landlord you would feel 'ok' about someone's employment position after reading it?

To whom it may concern,

Having been in full-time employment with Queensland Health based at the Princess Alexander hospital from 1994-2009, I made the challenging decision to change careers and began the pathway towards a career in Law and Business Management.

We moved from Brisbane to P****** in June 2009 to raise our young sons away from the hustle and bustle of the city. I continued working for Qld Health in a part-time capacity in 2010-May 2011 at S*** Health Services, while I commenced a double degree program in Business/Law at the University of Southern Queensland as an external student.

From May 2011- Dec 2011 I took on the rewarding role of being the parent based at home, as my wife was working extensively.. Over this time I made the decision to transition from Qld Health to Qld Education as a post-graduate.

This year (2012) I took on a Post-Graduate Diploma of Education, building on a previous Arts degree. As there is extensive ‘school based practicum’ time during this program it was not a viable option to undertake extra employment as I have been based in a school over different periods of the year for extended teaching blocks.

The completion date of the Post-Graduate Diploma of Education was the 23/11/2012. I am currently undergoing the registration process and will commence teaching in a casual capacity in 2013. I have been offered casual work at St. ****’s College, S**** and this can be verified by contacting Linda P****- Head of Secondary Campus through ********. In addition to this I have my Education Queensland registration interview on Thursday, 6 December 2012 which will enable me to undertake work throughout the W**** and S****** districts from the commencement of the 2013 school year.

Being that I am currently in a transitional period of employment and my income coincides with the commencement of the 2013 school year, we are willing to offer advance payment of full rent covering the school holiday period if requested, commencing weekly rental payments in Feb, 2013.
    Please feel free to contact me for any further information.

Sincerely,

Carlo *****
    ?????

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Sounds great - I would just add something about money not being a problem during this time, I'm sure you will be fine!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I hate moving house.

And I hate this area, because we are vying with the backpackers who are quite happy to pay $100 a week each and have 7 or 8 of them there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

When we were moving interstate so neither of us actually had a job as we had just left our jobs and DH was due to start his once we got here but his starting date was dependent on us finding a house ( still with me?) we attached a copy of our bank savings account that showed we had plenty of savings to cover the rent until DH commenced work.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jez For This Useful Post:

Disbride  (30-11-2012),OJandMe  (29-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

I could not imagine moving with 5 kids! Hopefully the landlords would prefer a nice family over random backpackers!

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's a good idea Jez. I might do that also.

I've got my pay slips, and stuff too... and I have the cash. As it is we'll have to be paying double rent for a few weeks... *sigh* eating into our 'home deposit' account... but it's for a home, so I justify it.

Has been a tight year, with DH doing his dip ed, I've had to knock back work as he hasn't been home to watch the kids or do the housework (lol the joys of a Dh who's studying from home)... and he's been in school teaching for his course.. roll on 2013!

Our lease isn't up till 31st Dec... so I'm going to offer to take the new place on from the 12th Dec and notice to leave this place for 5th Jan ... we're going away for 2 weeks over Christmas... so I just want to know.. ' hey, we're good' And can deal with the actual move when we get back just before New Year.

Hate packing! But at least if I have a few weeks of double renting, I can potter along bringing the smaller stuff over before we go away.

Fingers crossed I get it now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: Calling all landlords- opinions needed please

When is settlement? They may like you to move out early?

**Mum, Dad, Big boy (Dec 08) and Baby girl (Feb 11)**