+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I'm getting a touch for DD who is 8, for xmas. AS others have said, you can down load the apps but switch the wifi off. My DD being a bit older she will have a tiny bit of freedom to surf, but like her computer, will be heavily monitored.

Remember when we got a bike or a doll when we were kids kitty and thought we were the bee's knees? ahhh the tech age huh?

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    not an iPod touch. Normal iPods yes. But the touch is almost an iPhone, without the phone iykwim?

DD has one. Easiest solution for us is that she doesn't know her password. All games etc are downloaded by me. She can browse and choose them, I have control.
    Don't you need WIFI access though?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default DS? Ipod Touch or....

I would recommend buying a $7 ipod touch tough case off eBay if you go for the iPod touch, it slips into a plastic case with a clear plastic touch screen covering the glass and then the plastic case has a silicon mould that covers the plastic case. They are completely drop proof in this case.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You don't need wifi access for an ipod. You can just download the apps via itunes on a computer and connect the ipod with a cord and sync it.

Mine connects automatically to our home wifi but only because I connected it the first time with the password. But to download apps you need an itunes password as well anyway.

My mum has an ipod and I just set it up for her. They don't have wifi, just the usb style internet and I downloaded apps via their computer and the cable. So, when my neice uses it its not connected and can never be connected to the internet while she is playing with it. My mum never connects it to the compouter either and only charges it on the speaker or the power point plug.

The only way my neice would be able to access the internet while playing with the ipod is when she is older and they are out and she manages to connect to a free wifi like mcdonalds or something.

My twins have DSi's and while they are good and they like the games we do find games lying around sometimes and not put away no matter how many times we tell them. You wouldn't get that with an ipod. The games aren't cheap with DSi's either but 2nd hand games are cheaper. Most games shops will have heaps of 2nd hand games but some actually have them away in drawers so you have to ask. Depends on what style of games you are after really I guess.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Both my kids have DS's and hardly play with them anymore. They are both getting a iPod touch each for Christmas.

The games on the DS are expensive and are easily lost. The styluses get lost and the screens are a complete b#%^*_d to apply the screen protectors. We find the DSs cumbersome to transport as well.

The game on the iPod are free or cheap and get update regularly. They don't need a stylus, we can sync them to the one iTunes account, they download and play music easily. The diaries/calendars are a godsend as well. There are so many educational apps that are free or cheap.