+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Spin off - cage eggs

Guess I know why I was confused,
    The main supplier of chickens and eggs in Australia and this area is baiada, their chickens live just out of town in sheds,

Will have to research which eggs are stocked by baiada

http://www.baiada.com.au/chickenfacts/didyouknow.html

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510b using BubHub

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby star View Post
    It's been a long time but all the research I did as a vegetarian teen said it was?

It's still legal, unfortunately . We rescue chooks all the time who have had their beaks cut off. It's banned in some European countries, but legal most places (including Aus).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Clementine Grace View Post
    you're very lucky i agree farmers do take a beating but i think there is a growing number of people who are turning away from factory farmed meat and spending the extra on biodynamic cruelty free meat from independent farms.
    I'm not sure what biodynamic, cruelty free looks like. What is biodynamic? Cropping and livestock are our lives. Our stock are treated well. We have 2000 sheep and we crop over 4000ha. We live in drought most of the time.

ETA, sorry. We're going through tough times and my rantinator is on maximum speed. Just ignore me.
    Last edited by misskittyfantastico; 29-11-2012 at 23:54.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Spin off - cage eggs

Baiada is on the green peace unethical list because of their animal cruelty ( 40,000 chickens in their sheds) steggles and lily dale are owned by them so stay away from those brands as well!

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby star View Post
    Guess I know why I was confused,
    The main supplier of chickens and eggs in Australia and this area is baiada, their chickens live just out of town in sheds,

Will have to research which eggs are stocked by baiada

http://www.baiada.com.au/chickenfacts/didyouknow.html

You should be able to find the info here

I like EC guide because they also alert you to the company criticisms, not just the lable. Some companies produce both, so some people buy free-range eggs from companies who also sell cage eggs (meaning they are inadvertently supporting this practice).

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Spin off - cage eggs

Baiada owns a chicken farm out near me,
    It's not a aunty may style farm, the chickens live in sheds but the workers dont mistreat them
    Last edited by intruderalert1234; 29-11-2012 at 23:56.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by misskittyfantastico View Post
    I'm not sure what biodynamic, cruelty free looks like. What is biodynamic? Cropping and livestock are our lives. Our stock are treated well. We have 2000 sheep and we crop over 4000ha. We live in drought most of the time.
    I guess it depends where about's you live and where your local meat comes from. I've actually been vegetarian for 20 years but i get meat usually from this place for my partner/pets http://www.greenhillorganicmeat.com....producers.html

I also get free range chicken and pork from a speciality butcher. I don't buy any meat that is factory farmed if i can help it.

I'm glad your animals are treated so well, it must be a tough industry especially when the drought is really bad.

Thanks
    Reviews

Aldi sells "free range" chicken- does any one know about this brand? Is it owned by a company like Baiada?

Thanks
    Reviews
    In my dad's industry he has spent a lot of time in the chicken and turkey farms around where we are and he actually finds the 'barn laid' eggs just as confronting, if not more confronting than the caged ones. According to him the caged ones actually have more room between each other than what the barn laid do, they are confined to a cage but there is less chickens per square meter than with barn laid. He said that in the barns the chickens are soooo closely squished together that it's just horrible. And the dust and the smell is ridiculous.

Thanks
    Reviews

If I have to buy eggs I go for free range but I get two dozen free range organic eggs and 5 litres of fresh cows milk a week ! Perks of having a farmers MIL ;-)