+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    ill never buy caged eggs as long as i live, but just always remember to check the fine print. Some claim to be free range but are "barn laid". Or they are a spin off type like pace farm who claim to have a free range option which isn't always true free range.

Best ones to buy are local or independent small farms who have the free range cruelty free logo's and say so in the small print.

Supermarkets will never, ever give a toss about animal cruelty they just operate purely on demand. The ONLY way to get rid of caged eggs, is not to buy them.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

Mod-pegasus  (29-11-2012)

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    The more I read about "free range" eggs, the more I realise it's more about marketting than trying to make sure that animals are kept cruelty free.

I stopped reading the propoganda when we got our own chooks who are definitely free range (we do lock them up at night so that foxes don't get them), but whenever I see media reports, I realise that a lot of "free range" eggs are no better than cage laid.

It's all about the wording and making the consumer feeling like they are doing the best thing by the industry even though they may be supporting an industry that is no different to others.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-pegasus For This Useful Post:

intruderalert1234  (29-11-2012)

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have never and will never purchase cage eggs. I know where our eggs come from and I know how the chickens are treated.

I also don't purchase factory farmed meat.

I notice that people get very up in arms about RSPCA stories where dogs and cats are harmed, but continue to buy cage eggs and eat meat from animals which have lived in absolutely disgusting conditions, subject to extreme levels of cruelty. Pigs, cows and chickens are just as deserving of a nice life as dogs and cats etc.

This is a good video to watch regarding the mass animal cruelty that no-one seems to worry about:

http://vimeo.com/51837094

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby star View Post
    Debeaking is illegal in Australia
    No it's not?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

GreenMama  (30-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
    The more I read about "free range" eggs, the more I realise it's more about marketting than trying to make sure that animals are kept cruelty free.

I stopped reading the propoganda when we got our own chooks who are definitely free range (we do lock them up at night so that foxes don't get them), but whenever I see media reports, I realise that a lot of "free range" eggs are no better than cage laid.

It's all about the wording and making the consumer feeling like they are doing the best thing by the industry even though they may be supporting an industry that is no different to others.
    Yup just like greenwashing. A lot of egg farms (again like Pace Farms) have pretty pictures of happy chickens on the front, which are misleading.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    I have never and will never purchase cage eggs. I know where our eggs come from and I know how the chickens are treated.

I notice that people get very up in arms about RSPCA stories where dogs and cats are harmed, but continue to buy cage eggs and eat meat from animals which have lived in absolutely disgusting conditions, subject to extreme levels of cruelty. Pigs, cows and chickens are just as deserving of a nice life as dogs and cats etc.

This is a good video to watch regarding the mass animal cruelty that no-one seems to worry about:

Its pretty disheartening isn't it. A lot of people in Australian have NO idea where their food comes from.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (30-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Clementine Grace View Post
    Its pretty disheartening isn't it. A lot of people in Australian have NO idea where their food comes from.
    I feel very privileged to have my chooks and my sheep, though farmers take a beating most of the time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Spin off - cage eggs

Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post

No it's not?
    It's been a long time but all the research I did as a vegetarian teen said it was?

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510b using BubHub

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    To ensure you are buying certified free range eggs, look for the logo of the chicken pecking at the ground. A lot of the companies try to make their boxes nice and pretty and then have "cage eggs" stamped on the box in tiny writing. It's disgusting. You can look for the logo, or check on the Ethical Consumer website to double check. Don't be fooled by pretty boxes with happy chickens on them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have 3 chickens, before that I honestly just bought eggs without a thought as to where they came from , now I feel sick when I think of those poor hens.... Chickens are so full of personality , my three are different to each other and they actually like to be around me when I let them out of there run into the garden. They are actually a beautiful energy to have around the place.

We don't have to be cruel to animals to feed ourselves , I know many of us cannot afford organic free range meats but I think if we had less meat meals and spent the money on small amounts of meat from good caring farmers whose animal welfare is paramount I think we would help.

There needs to be some sort of point system ( like you get on your toilet or washer for energy consumption / the star rating) .... For all animal products on sale. 5 stars for an amazing cruelty free producer and 1 for minimum standard of care. We all want it and then we could all make a conscious choice and producers of animal products would have to adhere to a specific minimum standard of care and slaughter for animals and chickens . If they didn't meet the requirements then they would not be able to put there eggs/ meats in the supermarket ..... That's my thoughts on it.

No one wants to be responsible for suffering but if we continue to not care where our food is from its not helping those animals or birds one bit.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by misskittyfantastico View Post
    I feel very privileged to have my chooks and my sheep, though farmers take a beating most of the time.
    you're very lucky i agree farmers do take a beating but i think there is a growing number of people who are turning away from factory farmed meat and spending the extra on biodynamic cruelty free meat from independent farms.