+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Spin off - cage eggs

The horse thread make me think about the welfare of other animals. Did you know 90% of eggs sold in Australia are from caged hens? A single battery farm can hold thousands of hens, stacked in tiny cages five rows high, they will never see the outside, never stretch their wings and suffer horribly throughout their short lives.
    I think it is only a matter of time before this is made illegal (I think in some states it already is), but I suppose where do you draw the line? What about pigs in cages so small they can't turn around or stand up. I hope one day all animals sold for meat are free range and live better lives (I know inevitably they are sold for meat, but no reason for them to suffer horribly for our dinner)

I guess my point is, if you buy cage eggs just consider the difference you could make to the industry if you spend a couple more dollars to buy free range

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SpicyTurtle For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (29-11-2012),babynomad  (29-11-2012),halloweendee  (29-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Also, Free Range Eggs doesnt mean they are free to roam, it just means they have a little more room than the Barn hens. I always buy Free range. Though i would prefer to get actual free range eggs if i can (i visit friends with hens and/or buy from a local farm that has outside free range hens)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Supermarkets need to take the lead on this and simply stop selling caged eggs.

Have you seen Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's Chicken Out campaign (TV show)? It's a few years old now but really informative and emotional.

I have to admit I judge people who pick up caged eggs at the supermarket!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: Spin off - cage eggs

Free range eggs are the one thing that I won't compromise. If I need eggs and the only ones available are cage eggs, I won't buy eggs.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

halloweendee  (29-11-2012),HugsBunny  (29-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

I'm not sure why anyone would buy cage eggs! But there is so many other animals suffering that must people turn a blind eye too.

Cows for milk are treated horribly especially the calves, a lot of sheep for wool are factory farmed, pigs are factory farmed the list just goes on. Unfortunately with the over population these days I can't see things changing :-(

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    In grade 9 we watched a doco about battery hens. I didn't buy groceries back then, but since I started, I've never purchased caged eggs. We've been really really tight financially and still never purchased caged eggs. We never will.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    Supermarkets need to take the lead on this and simply stop selling caged eggs.

Have you seen Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's Chicken Out campaign (TV show)? It's a few years old now but really informative and emotional.

I have to admit I judge people who pick up caged eggs at the supermarket!
    Yes supermarkets definitely need to stop selling cage eggs. I also judge people, I have to bite my tongue sometimes lol
    My dream when we buy our land in the future is to have lots of chooks with a nice big barn at night and run around the property during the day same with pigs and horses and sheep lol I will have a miniature zoo!

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews

I refuse to buy cage eggs. Free range or cage free eggs all the way.

I'm fairly certain it's illegal for pigs to be kept in cages that small any more.

I heard a rustle that battery farms wouldn't be around much longer. People are taking more notice and being guided by their conscience rather than their wallet when they decide which eggs to buy. I can't quite remember the details but I seem to recall that a few major chains were refusing to buy cage eggs (McDonald's etc etc) or maybe it was a supermarket claiming they would no longer stock cage eggs???

Thanks
    Reviews

Also free range doesn't mean cruelty free! The male chicks are still killed at birth, they can still debeaked depending on the farm and they are still euthanased at 18 months. Still free range is definitely better than cage!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I used to buy caged eggs.....now i only buy free range

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub