+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default TTC and overweight

Musical, there are far more slim women conceiving children than there are morbidly obese women. Google some studies yourself. This is really off topic.

Seeing as you feel that obesity is plaguing child bearing women to such an extent and rendering them all infertile, I guess we can at least be reassured that the over population crisis will come to an end!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes - and there are studies to show that if all overweight, obese and M/obese women had the same risk factor as women in healthy weight range - the rate of pregnant women diagnosed with GD would drop by more than 50%

Thanks
    Reviews

I'm not entering your debate here but I just wanted to tell the OP that I went to my Dr because I thought we were having trouble conceiving and thought we'd have to be tested. He said that it can often take more than 12 months to conceive. After the 12 months that's when he would recommend starting to look at testing. I was also concerned about my weight being a factor in us not having conceived but he assured me that yes it could be but not necessarily the case. He tested me anyway and turned out I was actually 5 weeks pregnant woohoo.

I would also like to add that Drs and nurses have been surprised that I have not had GD, high blood pressure or pre eclampsia. With both my singleton and twin births. the head on the antenatal clinic at our hospital has checked me out and they are surprised that I am actually very healthy for being obese. (possibly even classed as morbidly obese).

Having said that I am not saying that anyone should pack on the pounds. Having a baby is different for everyone. It doesn't matter if you fat, thin, tall or short it could agree with you or not, it could be an easy ride or a difficult one because it's different for everyone.

For myself once I have had these twins DH and I plan on loosing weigh not just for ourselves but to try and teach our children good habits. I for one do not want them to be embarrassed of me when they go to school. And I would hate for them to feel about themselves the way I did when I was younger and still sometimes now. There are a lot of good reasons to loose weight but just setting a healthy exammle for your children is a pretty good one for me. I don't think it's teaching them to be ashamed of their bodies I think it's teaching them to be proud of themselves for their achievements and if there is something they don't like then they can do something to fix it. The way we teach them whats going on will determine what they learn from it. If I tell them I am loosing weight because I am ashamed they will learn to be ashamed. If I tell them I am loosing weight to be healthy they surely they will learn that healthy eating and lifestyle is a positive thing.

Again good luck OP I hope it all works out the way you want it to.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: TTC and overweight

I was overweight (bmi of 32.8 at my heaviest after having a lung collapse and being unable to exercise) dh and I both started going to the gym and gave up alcohol. We had previously been ttc for 6 months and then decided to put it on hold. I went on the pill and surprise we found out I was pregnant. I honestly believe that both of us being a lot healthier had a lot to do with it. I still have a massively high BMI at 30.9 but my Dr hasn't even calculated my BMI and has said he's fine with my weight because he knows I'm exercising and I've got no other health problems.

I honestly believe that just having a healthy lifestyle can help. I was going to the gym 6 days a week, increased my vege intake decreased my carb intAke, gave up alcohol and only lost 5kg before I was pregnant.

Best of luck OP I hope it happens for you soon

Sent from my HTC One X using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey guys!

Thanks for the replies it does make me feel alot more at ease to hear that there are other big gals out there who have managed to do it

I forgot to put it in a previous post but I am "medically" mobidly obese as my BMI is 42. I am 152cm so 5foot2" for those in the old measurements and i am 102Kg so according to that i am classed as morbidly obese. Now I am not and have never been in denial about my size I am well awear that I am see as and am "FAT"...I get reminded by my doctor when ever i see him and it is not like i have not tried to lose the wait name a diet and I have probably been on it and not just for a week or 2 but for long periods of time and nothing seems to work for me. Last year I got so low about it I was considering surgery, But when i really thought about it i found that the words "morbidly obese" to me was just a label. my health and fitness is pretty darn good for this, i do not drive so i walk everywhere, I do the old fruit and vege everday (well almost everday) and i have had tests and blood tests done at the docs and they have confirmed that apart from my weight everything is completely fine. So that is why I say I an not ashamed with my size.

My whole like I have going to big to small and back to big when i was younger i was about a size 14 and then lost all that weight at my smallest i was a size 7 managed to maintain that for that a size 10 for many yrs but in the past 4 and a half i have gone from a 12 to an 18.

In fact the old medical problems with me are my gyno problems, which I have had since I was 11 so I do think that saying PCOS is mainly caused by my weight and losing weight will fix it, though being good info and i do appricate it!! i will nessically help im my case. Not saying I wont try it but in marrch this yr i lost 6kgs and nothing changed. So i do really think it is a case by case thing.

I am also a very strong believe that in modern times pregnancy, ttc and child birth has become EXTREMELY medicalised, people are so concerned about having the right hosiptal and the right dr and the right meds thats they have forgotten that 2000yrs ago that women didn't have the science we have today and they still managed to do it. I think there is so much fear in women and men too about getting GD and other problems while pregnant that they forget what they are trying to do and are just scared of what could go wrong!

I do though totally agree with the most of teaching our kids that there is nothing to be ashamed of and to lose weight or do anything in life is fueled by a decision made by you and not what someone else thinks you should do.

Again thanks so much for all your posts keep them coming I love to hear about others

Hopefully I will have some exciting news soon :fingercrossed

PS sorry for any spelling mistakes :P

Thanks
    Reviews

BMI's and labels are just so wrong sometimes.. according to my BMI I'm obese, but I wear size 12-14 clothes. I'm not denying I'm overweight but I'd never call myself obese.

Thanks
    Reviews

Agreed, my dh and I are both obese according to BMI in this picture (it's old lol and we really are fat now!)
    Attached Images

Thanks
    Reviews

It's just crazy isn't it!! You don't look fat at all and your partner just looks muscly! My dh is considered obese too, he's short and solid but not fat at all, its just his Fijian build! (sorry this is the best I can do for full length shots lol)

Attached Images

Thanks
    Reviews

My dh is Fijian also!

Thanks
    Reviews
    There is no way I would consider either of you obese!

I think BMI's are stupid according to my "ideal BMI" with it being at 20ish I should therefore weight 45kgs...if I was 45kg I would probably having to be hospitalised for being so skinny!

I tried uploading a pic of myself but it wouldnt work