+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Small baby/low weight in pregnancy, can I delivery normal? Pls need some advise!

Quote Originally Posted by Pantsy View Post
    I went into labour naturally and spent 11 hours at home until contractions were 2 minutes apart and lasting 1 minute.

I was only 3cm dilated when I got to hospital and spent the next 15 hours labouring to be told I was still only 3cm. Despite having syntocinon, my waters being broken and having an epidural to see if that would relax me, nothing was helping me to dilate past 3cm.

DD's BP kept dropping, which they couldn't tell me why so had to take me off the drip.

We ended up with c-section and once she was born we were told she was DPLEX OP, which meant she was leading with her forehead, not the crown of her head, so there was not enough pressure on my cervix to dilate.

Apparently smaller babies have a bit more wriggle room, so once she was engaged, she was able to tilt her head forward into the wrong position. She is very healthy, nothing wrong with her now and had stacked on over half a kilo in weight in the first 3 weeks. Dr also said no reason I can't have a VBAC for the next baby (if there is a next baby!!!). Even if next baby is small, it is unlikely it will be DPLEX again.
    Pantsy - thanks so much for sharing information, great to hear about your healthy baby. I sometimes worry that I have to end up like my 1st pregnancy, already full dilated then had to end up with emergency csect.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Small baby/low weight in pregnancy, can I delivery normal? Pls need some advise!

In my case, my lo was 4lb14oz (2.2kg) which on the small side.
    I had a natural delivery, with no problems!

Maybe try find out exact reasons why she wants to book you in (in detail)... your ob may have valid reason/s but not communicating them properly or giving you full details/information..

hopefully you can deliver the way you want! Best of luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I haven't read all the comments but I had a c/s with DD2 due to her growth. They picked up that she had stopped growing from 34 weeks and was just getting a larger belly. She was delivered at 38 weeks weighing 6 pound 1 and 46cm. My OB told me they don't like to induce smaller babies as it can sometimes put distress on them.

Thanks
    Reviews

Lovely mums thanks so much for sharing your experiences. Gave me some knowledge before questioning my OB.

Keep them coming....

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ecstatic For This Useful Post:

BaronessM  (03-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi all, although it does depend upon the reasons why your Ob has decided a C is better, poor fuctioning of the placenta is not usually a reason for a C, unless bubs has to be delivered NOW. Placenta Praevia is the only condition that (usually) completely precludes natural delivery; in some conditions a nat delivery is actually preferred, ie, with abruption, they don't want to accidentally cut into a bleeding placenta (this is also a prob with PPraevia, but nat birth risks outweigh it).

If placental function is of any consequence in this case, a special U/s of the placenta can be done, noting blood flow pattern, and an amniotic fluid index can be measured, estimating the amount of amniotic fluid.

If the bub is just small and has extra 'wiggle room' the ob may be worried bub will present forehead first, complicating delivery.

Ecstatic, yes, I did suggest another opinion from another Ob. If your Ob works in a clinic, she may be able to get another Ob from her clinic/practice to explain her reasons to you. She may, though, buckle under the weight of your newfound knowledge and agree you can attempt natural with monitoring, or she may now explain her reasons better in light of your more targeted questioning.

Good luck, please post here to tell us how you go. Medscape is a great website for medical Q's, although sometimes you need to search through reams of doc-speak to get the answers you are looking for.

CrankyOldCow ~ that sounds like a mother of a placental abruption! Very lucky your DD survived. My bub was 35w and size of a 30w due to 80pc swiss cheese placenta due to concealed abruption. Please post in our 'Placental Abruption, your stories please' thread. The ladies in there would love to hear your story.

The 'average' placental abruption that has been noted throughtout pg and stabilised often allows for nat delivery, the kind that shjts itself at the end of pg will, indeed most often will need a C. Hopefully the OP is just dealing with a 'small baby' for whatever reasons (minor IUGR).
    Last edited by BaronessM; 03-12-2012 at 02:14.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: Small baby/low weight in pregnancy, can I delivery normal? Pls need some advise!

One of the reasons my ob wanted bub out early was I had decreased movement, I wouldn't feel her at all some days. How are your bubs movements?

**Mum, Dad, Big boy (Dec 08) and Baby girl (Feb 11)**

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by BaronessM View Post
    Hi all, although it does depend upon the reasons why your Ob has decided a C is better, poor fuctioning of the placenta is not usually a reason for a C, unless bubs has to be delivered NOW. Placenta Praevia is the only condition that (usually) completely precludes natural delivery; in some conditions a nat delivery is actually preferred, ie, with abruption, they don't want to accidentally cut into a bleeding placenta (this is also a prob with PPraevia, but nat birth risks outweigh it).

If placental function is of any consequence in this case, a special U/s of the placenta can be done, noting blood flow pattern, and an amniotic fluid index can be measured, estimating the amount of amniotic fluid.

If the bub is just small and has extra 'wiggle room' the ob may be worried bub will present forehead first, complicating delivery.
    BaronessM thanks so much for your great info, learning new thing everyday.