In my case, my lo was 4lb14oz (2.2kg) which on the small side.
I had a natural delivery, with no problems!
Maybe try find out exact reasons why she wants to book you in (in detail)... your ob may have valid reason/s but not communicating them properly or giving you full details/information..
hopefully you can deliver the way you want! Best of luck!
I haven't read all the comments but I had a c/s with DD2 due to her growth. They picked up that she had stopped growing from 34 weeks and was just getting a larger belly. She was delivered at 38 weeks weighing 6 pound 1 and 46cm. My OB told me they don't like to induce smaller babies as it can sometimes put distress on them.
Lovely mums thanks so much for sharing your experiences. Gave me some knowledge before questioning my OB.
Keep them coming....
Hi all, although it does depend upon the reasons why your Ob has decided a C is better, poor fuctioning of the placenta is not usually a reason for a C, unless bubs has to be delivered NOW. Placenta Praevia is the only condition that (usually) completely precludes natural delivery; in some conditions a nat delivery is actually preferred, ie, with abruption, they don't want to accidentally cut into a bleeding placenta (this is also a prob with PPraevia, but nat birth risks outweigh it).
If placental function is of any consequence in this case, a special U/s of the placenta can be done, noting blood flow pattern, and an amniotic fluid index can be measured, estimating the amount of amniotic fluid.
If the bub is just small and has extra 'wiggle room' the ob may be worried bub will present forehead first, complicating delivery.
Ecstatic, yes, I did suggest another opinion from another Ob. If your Ob works in a clinic, she may be able to get another Ob from her clinic/practice to explain her reasons to you. She may, though, buckle under the weight of your newfound knowledge and agree you can attempt natural with monitoring, or she may now explain her reasons better in light of your more targeted questioning.
Good luck, please post here to tell us how you go. Medscape is a great website for medical Q's, although sometimes you need to search through reams of doc-speak to get the answers you are looking for.
CrankyOldCow ~ that sounds like a mother of a placental abruption! Very lucky your DD survived. My bub was 35w and size of a 30w due to 80pc swiss cheese placenta due to concealed abruption. Please post in our 'Placental Abruption, your stories please' thread. The ladies in there would love to hear your story.
The 'average' placental abruption that has been noted throughtout pg and stabilised often allows for nat delivery, the kind that shjts itself at the end of pg will, indeed most often will need a C. Hopefully the OP is just dealing with a 'small baby' for whatever reasons (minor IUGR).
Last edited by BaronessM; 03-12-2012 at 02:14.
One of the reasons my ob wanted bub out early was I had decreased movement, I wouldn't feel her at all some days. How are your bubs movements?
**Mum, Dad, Big boy (Dec 08) and Baby girl (Feb 11)**
Pregnant for the first-time?
Not sure where to start? We can help!
Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!