+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Small baby/low weight in pregnancy, can I delivery normal? Pls need some advise!

Saremc - thanks, I know I want to stay in ground. I want to do some research first, no luck with the google with this case. I would like to get information with same experience. Because I dont want to risk the baby either.

Mell84 - thanks so much for sharing your experience.

Kmvw - sorry what happen with low papp-a? I dunno i have to check again the result

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Small baby/low weight in pregnancy, can I delivery normal? Pls need some advise!

My DD was born smAll at 37+1 she stopped growing in the tummy & I was induced & was natural birth. I was put on CTG every second day for a week & half just to make sure she wasn't stressed. I would be asking a lot of questions. Hope everything works out for you.

Thanks
    Reviews

Pregnor - yes I have csect for my 1st because my baby distressed (high rate) and he should come quickly but she didnt. The OB said I have a narrow pelvic, but when I researched, many people who had been told has narrow pelvic can deliver normal for 2nd baby. So Im quite happy to try this time around with normal delivery, only find out now with small baby you cant do it.

Kimnus - I also have to do the ultrasounds 28weeks, 32 weeks but the result my baby is growing but is small compared to what is supposed to be.

Thanks
    Reviews

Kelly8329 - Thanks, noted for your friends experiences. I will asked my OB some more questions.

Pantsy - why you have to do csect?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: Small baby/low weight in pregnancy, can I delivery normal? Pls need some advise!

The issue is more that your ob is going to be concerned about placental function/fluid levels. If it gets to the point bub is safer out than in, you will need another csect, as induction won't be possible

However if there is no concern with bubs health, it would be ok to have a natural delivery.

does this make sense?

**Mum, Dad, Big boy (Dec 08) and Baby girl (Feb 11)**

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Cookies View Post
    My DD was born smAll at 37+1 she stopped growing in the tummy & I was induced & was natural birth. I was put on CTG every second day for a week & half just to make sure she wasn't stressed. I would be asking a lot of questions. Hope everything works out for you.
    Congrats for your natural birth, is your baby is ok? What some good questions I should ask? During pregnancy my brain is a bit slow.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi Ecstatic, you can be induced after a C sec, but the safest way is Balloon Catheter induction, as no hormones are used initially. Def no prostoglandin gel which hyperstimulates the uterus and can aggravate it and cause rupture. I do know a little about birthing low weight bubs ~ I advocate for Mums of Prems and had an early induction due to Placental Haemmorhage (severe ~ only 20pc of it still functioning). My bub was 3p13oz. I was told that if he was in distress or I didn't progress, a C would be imminent. You would need contionuous monitoring too, which can hamper birth as they tend to like keeping you on your back on a bed to assist the monitoring (this really sucks!).

I know of a friend who had an induction after a C.

It sounds like it's all 'too much trouble' for your Ob. Do get a second opinion. Remember a healthy baby is more important than sticking to your plans, but I would really be researching this (as you are) so you can arm yourself with Q's for your Ob as to why she thinks you can't birth naturally, and getting a second opinion for sure. Try 'Medscape.com' for more research and some info. Good luck; hope you and your little bub are ok and you get your natural birth, if possible.
    Last edited by BaronessM; 03-12-2012 at 02:30. Reason: I have many fiens, but this one was a friend...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BaronessM For This Useful Post:

Pregnor  (30-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ecstatic View Post
    Kelly8329 - Thanks, noted for your friends experiences. I will asked my OB some more questions.

Pantsy - why you have to do csect?
    I went into labour naturally and spent 11 hours at home until contractions were 2 minutes apart and lasting 1 minute.

I was only 3cm dilated when I got to hospital and spent the next 15 hours labouring to be told I was still only 3cm. Despite having syntocinon, my waters being broken and having an epidural to see if that would relax me, nothing was helping me to dilate past 3cm.

DD's BP kept dropping, which they couldn't tell me why so had to take me off the drip.

We ended up with c-section and once she was born we were told she was DPLEX OP, which meant she was leading with her forehead, not the crown of her head, so there was not enough pressure on my cervix to dilate.

Apparently smaller babies have a bit more wriggle room, so once she was engaged, she was able to tilt her head forward into the wrong position. She is very healthy, nothing wrong with her now and had stacked on over half a kilo in weight in the first 3 weeks. Dr also said no reason I can't have a VBAC for the next baby (if there is a next baby!!!). Even if next baby is small, it is unlikely it will be DPLEX again.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Pregnor View Post
    The issue is more that your ob is going to be concerned about placental function/fluid levels. If it gets to the point bub is safer out than in, you will need another csect, as induction won't be possible

However if there is no concern with bubs health, it would be ok to have a natural delivery.

does this make sense?

**Mum, Dad, Big boy (Dec 08) and Baby girl (Feb 11)**
    Hi Pregnor, noted. so far the bubs is good, moving & grow.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by BaronessM View Post
    Hi Ecstatic, you can be induced after a C sec, but the safest way is Balloon Catheter induction, as no hormones are used initially. Def no prostoglandin gel which hyperstimulates the uterus and can aggravate it and cause rupture. I do know a little about birthing low weight bubs ~ I advocate for Mums of Prems and had an early induction due to Placental Haemmorhage (severe ~ only 20pc of it still functioning). My bub was 3p13oz. I was told that if he was in distress or I didn't progress, a C would be imminent. You would need contionuous monitoring too, which can hamper birth as they tend to like keeping you on your back on a bed to assist the monitoring (this really sucks!).

I know of a fiend who had an induction after a C.

It sounds like it's all 'too much trouble' for your Ob. Do get a second opinion. Remember a healthy baby is more important than sticking to your plans, but I would really be researching this (as you are) so you can arm yourself with Q's for your Ob as to why she thinks you can't birth naturally, and getting a second opinion for sure. Try 'Medscape.com' for more research and some info. Good luck; hope you and your little bub are ok and you get your natural birth, if possible.
    Baroness - thanks heaps for your info, will check the website as well. Second opinion, do you mean consult with other OB? As this already my last 3rd semester it might be hard