+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Small baby/low weight in pregnancy, can I delivery normal? Pls need some advise!

MyOB just told me that I have small baby/low birth weight therefore I can’t dothe normal delivery and I don’t have choice that I have to do C-section andschedule the date. I am very disappointed as I really want to try a normal delivery.However, I don’t want to take any risk for the baby.
    My1st baby was delivered by an emergency caesarean due to a stressedbaby and she didn’t come out quickly. For my 2nd pregnancy, I have adifferent OB and I told her that I want to try a normal delivery for my 2ndone. She told me that we could try and wehave to wait and see on my 36 weeks as she said I can’t do a normal delivery ifI have a bigger baby than my 1st.
    Nowshe said I can’t do a normal delivery due to a small baby because of worryabout placenta etc. I am confused and would like to hear other people experiencewho has been told that you have a small baby/low birth weight but still manageto have a normal delivery, can you please share with me. I really need some advice.
    Thanksso much

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Small baby/low weight in pregnancy, can I delivery normal? Pls need some advise!

That sounds strange to me why would she want to just book you in?

If I were to I would stand your ground really really push or a natural delivery if bub is ok and growing you should be fine to go to term.

I would go back with more questions and don't book a cection not till you have all the answers!

Thanks
    Reviews

Best of luck

Thanks
    Reviews

With my first bub the doctors told me that my placenta wasn't working properly and was not providing DS with enough nutrients, etc. So they decided to induce me a week early.

I had him naturally and there were no dramas. He was small, but not super tiny: 6lb6oz.

If you really want to have a natural birth, stick to your guns as much as you can. Obviously if bubs needs to come out then a CS would be necessary - but otherwise just because they think bubs will be small is not a good enough reason to push you in to having a CS.

Good luck, I hope everything turns out how you're wanting it to :-)

Thanks
    Reviews

There may be a problem with the placenta which is why the baby is small, if so they would want the baby out earlier than 40weeks due to the placenta not functioning correctly.

Just out of curiosity did you have low Papp-a when you did the combined bloods nuchal scan at 12 weeks? If you did it
    Last edited by kmvw; 30-11-2012 at 06:10.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: Small baby/low weight in pregnancy, can I delivery normal? Pls need some advise!

Most likely because they dont induce if you have previously had a csect as it increases risk of uterine rupture

Bub wil most likely need to be born early, my liitle bub was born 38+4 after induction, no dramas

**Mum, Dad, Big boy (Dec 08) and Baby girl (Feb 11)**

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

With my baby girl I found out at 30 weeks she wasn't growing. I needed to have ultrasounds every couple of weeks and ctgs every 2nd day.

I needed to have a c-section anyway due to other medical issues, but I was told the moment that she became distressed she would need to be delivered.

When she was born she weighed 6pounds (left hospital at just under 6 pounds).

Thanks
    Reviews

This dr sounds ridiciculous! VBAC can be successful smaller or larger than your first baby. My friend has had 2 VBAC'S . Her first c-section was 9pd6, her VBAC'S were 9pd4 and 10pd6 . This Dr sounds like she just wants to cut you open and there are many of them out there against VBAC'S .

Thanks
    Reviews

Oh yes if baby needs to be delivered early though there is no other way. You can't be induced after c section so unless you go into natural labour CS is the only option

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Kelly8329 For This Useful Post:

mrswhitehouse  (03-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was told throughout the whole pregnancy the DD was small, but there was no mention of c-section, which I had to have anyway....

She was 6lb when born at 40+1, so was on the small side for a full term bub.