Closed Thread
Page 7 of 38 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: Push to increase inadequate dole rejected.

Quote Originally Posted by Minchi View Post
    The only people i know of that have more than one job, therefore working long hard hours like a dog don't do it for the fun of it. They also pay alot more in taxes as well. I know of one family where the couple work 2 jobs each because they are supporting their entire families/relatives in a 3rd world country, so they don't die of starvation. If they don't help them, who will? They certainly don't get any handouts. We're lucky to get what we get here in Australia.

I'm 31 and have worked 2 jobs since I was 17. And so what? I'm not ashamed of it, I don't feel ''bad'' in case someone else isn't getting a job. I work in an office all day (also studied part time to find a better job) and scrub toilets at night. Not fun at all. Believe me, my back hurts. I moved from an area where there were not many jobs to where it would be more realistic to find one. I have had times where i haven't even had $20 in my bank account and hardly anything to eat. And I certainly didn't go on the dole ever. So I'm proud of what I have achieved for what I have today. Some people do what they have to do to survive..
    Ive worked two jobs, it was what i needed to do. At the same time, i was never railing against people who did find it hard to get a job, and i worked the two jobs with the knowledge that it IS one less job to go around, no matter the reason for it. I counted myself lucky I could work two at once.

Sent from my HUAWEI-U8850 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lovemyfam View Post
    I guess we can only wait and see what they do but I still agree that it should not be upped. Its up to the government to decide what they think is right.
    And the govt do what they think the people will reelect them for,
    They sure don't mind raising their pays each year though

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510b using BubHub

3. The Following User Says Thank You to intruderalert1234 For This Useful Post:

WorkingClassMum  (30-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    Just a reality check for you here, not everyone has had 8 years. There are not that many single mothers who are single from the birth of their child.

I have actually been through this process as my child turned 8 at the start of this year. I did not have 8 years to prepare.

Another reality check, those Centrelink estimators are often not correct.

Last reality check for you. This is my scenario. I do not receive this much money.
    hmm ok

OJandMe is offline I am the strength my children will have.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Just as an aside.... while these parents are busy 'preparing'....... who is looking after their child/ren?

A childcare centre? Which is still $16-25 a day per child even with 100% child care benefit...

So say you are studying part-time from... oh.. the birth of your last child (as you would need 8 years of part-time study to complete a 4 year degree) and you were paying that extra $120-$150 approx a fortnight in childcare to actually have time to study...

Deduct that from you fortnightly allowance... and then add the cost of textbooks (say $200-$300 a semester) plus travel costs, computer costs, printing costs...

I think it's absolute BS.... I think parents should be able to PARENT while their children are little, and then be given a leeway in their parenting payments once their child turns the cut-off age, if the parent is engaged in full-time study, until the completion of their degree. At least then they've got a blooming chance.

And that's just one child.... what if there are 2 or 3 that need childcare/afterschool care? As we all know, these facilities are not cheap.

And don't say 'study with them at home' if you haven't done it, don't suggest it, it's freaking hard.
    Last edited by OJandMe; 29-11-2012 at 22:52.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to OJandMe For This Useful Post:

Clementine Grace  (29-11-2012),Izy  (30-11-2012),missie_mackxxxx  (30-11-2012),WorkingClassMum  (30-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennaisme View Post
    Ive worked two jobs, it was what i needed to do. At the same time, i was never railing against people who did find it hard to get a job, and i worked the two jobs with the knowledge that it IS one less job to go around, no matter the reason for it. I counted myself lucky I could work two at once.

I dont think anyone is rallying against them, the government is doing what they think they need to do to get rid of some debt.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennaisme View Post

cool bananas. didn't mean to sound like i was having a go at you. I sounded a bit aggro, sorry.

Thanks
    Reviews

Did I complain about those who can't get employment? No. I know what that's like. Did I say I was better or above them? no. My point was, to the pp complaining that people have more than one job don't ''need'' them. Point being yes, some people do.
    Some people do, yes, but a lot of judgement in this thread have been based on the small minority of people on the dole who have no desire to work. Just thought id point out that it goes both ways. Not everyone NEEDS their second or third job, despite the taxes paid on it.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Jennaisme For This Useful Post:

intruderalert1234  (29-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Did I complain about those who can't get employment? No. I know what that's like. Did I say I was better or above them? no. My point was, to the pp complaining that people have more than one job don't ''need'' them. Point being yes, some people do.
    My issue and comments were about people who work 2,3 etc jobs and DO complain about people who can not get one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby star View Post
    You sure appear to be,
    You don't mind your husband staying at home claiming payments for your children yet are against people on looking for work ... You are so full of contradictions I struggle to understand what goes on in your mind.

What payments? I work full time and he stays with the kids. How am I against people looking for work? I am not sure what your talking about.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby star View Post
    My issue and comments were about people who work 2,3 etc jobs and DO complain about people who can not get one.

oh ok i get you... .. yeah, I know what you mean. I think it's hard to do anything much in this day and age.. especially since the recession too. We have one friend who was complaining he is broke, but then went on to say he has $70 000 sitting in his account doing nothing, for the heck of it. lol. Me and dh just looked at each other and went ''wtf? how does that make sense that you're broke?"".

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 38 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast