Closed Thread
Page 6 of 38 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: Push to increase inadequate dole rejected.

Quote Originally Posted by Mummajugs28 View Post
    Couldn't help you with that one? Friends, family, neighbours? Someone you trust - it's just for the one week and after that you are good. You do have to pay for two shirts but they let you do that over a period of 4 weeks so its not really an expense that kicks you when you're down and out.

Again if anyone is interested just PM me
    Again, im honestly NOT picking on you.

There are some people who are so isolated they have no one. That‘s the problem i have with people saying ‘‘it‘s so easy to get a job! ‘‘ because you need start up capital, I.E. bus/train fare, petrol, rego or babysitting costs if they have no support. For people living on 500p/f, that doesnt always exist.
    Then they need interview clothes or what have you. Again, not always funds to get them and not all job networks do that.
    Then you need access to some type of media to find jobs. Library internet iant‘t free, and if you arent with a job network, they uaually dong‘t let you use their computers, and the papers arent free either.
    Then you need a phone for the ring up jobs, or to be contacted if you have an interview. Lets say people are on prev paid, and they cant afford credited. Phone boxea are in short supply now, and 50c per call, if you apply for ten jobs a fortnight is 5 bucks.

Sent from my HUAWEI-U8850 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lovemyfam View Post
    Ok so here is what the changes are

So what they are doing is moving people who have had 8 years to get that education, you can become a doctor in 8 years that's a long time.

It was asked if I could live off this so I went to centrelinks site and did an online estimator for a general idea.

Ok I am going to use myself as an example, lets pretend I am single because thats what they are saying in this article.

So myself and 5 kids

I would get fortnightly
    Newstart Allowance
    $533.00
    Family Tax Benefit Part A
    $950.32
    Family Tax Benefit Part B
    $144.34
    Rent Assistance
    $160.44
    Gross total estimate $1823.38 (fortnightly)

Could I live of this? Yes I could

Now lets say I have 1 8 year old
    I would get
    Newstart Allowance
    $533.00
    $169
    $100
    Rent Assistance
    $141.82
    Gross total estimate $945.16 (fortnightly)
    Could I live of this? Yes I could living and having things I want are two different things. This is suppose to be help not a livelihood. I may not be able to live where I want, or have fancy things but I could make it work
    The dole and parenting payments vary significantly,
    On the dole without a child I got 460$ a fortnight, this was the MAXIMUM I could get,

With ds on single parenting I got 1080$ a fortnight, that is more than double the 'dole'

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510b using BubHub

OJandMe is offline I am the strength my children will have.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I think it depends on the region.

I live in a region of high unemployment. It's not that people don't want to work, there just aren't the jobs. It's a rural sector, so unless you can operate farm machinery or beat the backpacker's to the seasonal picking work, you're pretty much stuck with nightfill. The professional jobs out here are either transferred into form other areas of country, or it's a 'who you know not what you know' situation.

And there is no public transport.

It's kinda crap. lol. Which is why there is such a huge gender divide out here, women work in admin, childcare, teaching or the supermarket... and men work the farms. Many many people are juggling 2 or more casual jobs just to try and make ends meet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I honestly don't know how people survive on that small amount, where i live you are hard pressed to find the smallest rental for under 350 a week.

I think as people are loosing jobs left right and centre at the moment, there will be a lot more new people needing centrelink's help to get back on their feet. I wish there was a more efficient way of giving a bit extra to those who are in genuine need and cutting back the long term unemployed who have been on the dole for 5, 10, 15 years and have no desire to ever find a job.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennaisme View Post
    I believe its a combination of people having more jobs than they need, thus they DO take jobs from other people, like it or not. If you‘re working a job, it means someone else isnt, and employers knowing how hard it is to find work, etc, so they can treat their staff as horrendously as they like, along with underpaying them, failing to providr safe work places, etc etc.

Sent from my HUAWEI-U8850 using BubHub
    The only people i know of that have more than one job, therefore working long hard hours like a dog don't do it for the fun of it. They also pay alot more in taxes as well. I know of one family where the couple work 2 jobs each because they are supporting their entire families/relatives in a 3rd world country, so they don't die of starvation. If they don't help them, who will? They certainly don't get any handouts. We're lucky to get what we get here in Australia.

I'm 31 and have worked 2 jobs since I was 17. And so what? I'm not ashamed of it, I don't feel ''bad'' in case someone else isn't getting a job. I work in an office all day (also studied part time to find a better job) and scrub toilets at night. Not fun at all. Believe me, my back hurts. I moved from an area where there were not many jobs to where it would be more realistic to find one. I have had times where i haven't even had $20 in my bank account and hardly anything to eat. And I certainly didn't go on the dole ever. So I'm proud of what I have achieved for what I have today. Some people do what they have to do to survive..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Clementine Grace View Post
    I honestly don't know how people survive on that small amount, where i live you are hard pressed to find the smallest rental for under 350 a week.

I think as people are loosing jobs left right and centre at the moment, there will be a lot more new people needing centrelink's help to get back on their feet. I wish there was a more efficient way of giving a bit extra to those who are in genuine need and cutting back the long term unemployed who have been on the dole for 5, 10, 15 years and have no desire to ever find a job.
    I think that is what they are trying to accomplish with this get those that have been on it for 8+ years off the higher parenting payment to spread the money around more and encourage jobs.

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovemyfam View Post

So what they are doing is moving people who have had 8 years to get that education, you can become a doctor in 8 years that's a long time.
    Just a reality check for you here, not everyone has had 8 years. There are not that many single mothers who are single from the birth of their child.

I have actually been through this process as my child turned 8 at the start of this year. I did not have 8 years to prepare.

It was asked if I could live off this so I went to centrelinks site and did an online estimator for a general idea.
    Another reality check, those Centrelink estimators are often not correct.

Now lets say I have 1 8 year old
    I would get
    Newstart Allowance
    $533.00
    $169
    $100
    Rent Assistance
    $141.82
    Gross total estimate $945.16 (fortnightly)
    Could I live of this? Yes I could living and having things I want are two different things. This is suppose to be help not a livelihood. I may not be able to live where I want, or have fancy things but I could make it work
    Last reality check for you. This is my scenario. I do not receive this much money.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ana Gram For This Useful Post:

GreenMama  (30-11-2012),Izy  (30-11-2012),missie_mackxxxx  (30-11-2012),OJandMe  (29-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Minchi View Post
    The only people i know of that have more than one job, therefore working long hard hours like a dog don't do it for the fun of it. They also pay alot more in taxes as well. I know of one family where the couple work 2 jobs each because they are supporting their entire families/relatives in a 3rd world country, so they don't die of starvation. If they don't help them, who will? They certainly don't get any handouts. We're lucky to get what we get here in Australia.

I'm 31 and have worked 2 jobs since I was 17. And so what? I'm not ashamed of it, I don't feel ''bad'' in case someone else isn't getting a job. I work in an office all day (also studied part time to find a better job) and scrub toilets at night. Not fun at all. Believe me, my back hurts. I moved from an area where there were not many jobs to where it would be more realistic to find one. I have had times where i haven't even had $20 in my bank account and hardly anything to eat. And I certainly didn't go on the dole ever. So I'm proud of what I have achieved for what I have today. Some people do what they have to do to survive..
    Do you complain about those who can't get employment?
    Do you think you are better or above them?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I guess we can only wait and see what they do but I still agree that it should not be upped. Its up to the government to decide what they think is right.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby star View Post
    Do you complain about those who can't get employment?
    Do you think you are better or above them?

Did I complain about those who can't get employment? No. I know what that's like. Did I say I was better or above them? no. My point was, to the pp complaining that people have more than one job don't ''need'' them. Point being yes, some people do.

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 38 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast