Closed Thread
Page 37 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2735363738 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chew the Mintie View Post
    Lol I meant the same 1-2 people in every thread it seems!
    Hey when someone asks a direct question or attacks you and takes it off topic then of course your going to respond. Ill stay back on topic.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Meld85 View Post
    Hmmm this topic is a tough one. And before anyone jumps on me please know my husband was recently made redundant, finished up on the same day and only received hours worked (no payout)

We own our own home and the dole or 'new start allowance' would not cover 5% of our mortgage let alone food, petrol. Luckily we have some savings there we can fall back on but they wont last forever and I often wonder what would have happened if we didnt have the savings.

I work part-time however cannot pick up more days as I need to have DS while DH looks for work during those days (the few interviews he has had have been last minute so we would have had no chance to find care) Literally we would have had to move in with my mum and rented our place out till we were back on our feet but what if I didnt have a mother/or we werent getting along or she didnt have the room. Truthfully we would be homeless, or we would have to sell our little town house and get what we can and start over There fore in this sense I think i should have been risen...

However I also see some people quitting work and learning to live off the ammount they are given if it is high enough. My thought is - have it higher say for the first 3 months out of work and slowly taper it down, that way the people legitamtely out of work just need help will have money to keep going till they are back on their feet and those taking advantage will find their money running down???

What do you think....oh and I dont agree with cutting the PHI payment - I think it will put way too much pressure on the public hospital system. Thats just my opinion.

This could work, as long as they tapered it down enough that they cant live on it, also have really clear details on how it will be tapered and so people know exactly what they need to do. This along with more affordable CC and some more ways to help people get back to work would prob work well. Although this wouldnt change the current law because those going from PP to NS have already been on the payments for 6-8 years, or would you still boost their for a few months then taper?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lovemyfam For This Useful Post:

Meld85  (01-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovemyfam View Post
    You were talking to everyone on this thread you dont like the views on dont try to say your not. You dont know that these people's kids wont have compassion or anything else. I know my kids do, I know the many years they went down with me to feed the homeless on thanksgiving and Christmas and had compassion for people. I am sure the kids of these people who think working is good will be fine. Not sure why some people here have to drag and attack family members but hey if its how you try to win arguments by bashing other peoples kids thats great!
    Lack of compassion breeds. And as long as people continue with this attitude it will keep breeding and breeding and before long we will have a compassionless society where people are begging on the streets and selling their children to prostitution just to put food on the table. Get over yourself! If you think I'm talking about you...then perhaps you need to think about a few things. If you honestly believe that I'm NOT talking about you then what the hell are you worried about? Move along!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Deserama For This Useful Post:

trishalishous  (01-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    This could work, as long as they tapered it down enough that they cant live on it, also have really clear details on how it will be tapered and so people know exactly what they need to do. This along with more affordable CC and some more ways to help people get back to work would prob work well. Although this wouldnt change the current law because those going from PP to NS have already been on the payments for 6-8 years, or would you still boost their for a few months then taper?

From what I have read most people cant really live off what it is now so maybe back down to what it is?? What is PP?? I suppose it should only really apply to those just out of work or maybe you can choose when you get the 3 month 'leg up' so if say like us we have savings we can choose to delay it for 3 months and rely on it when the going gets tough.

That way those alrady on the lower payment can choose to take the 3 months but it tapers down afterwards if they havent found employment...maybe the higher payments are an incentive to get work cause it is easier to never have than have and have it taken away... hmmmm

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Deserama View Post
    Lack of compassion breeds. And as long as people continue with this attitude it will keep breeding and breeding and before long we will have a compassionless society where people are begging on the streets and selling their children to prostitution just to put food on the table. Get over yourself! If you think I'm talking about you...then perhaps you need to think about a few things. If you honestly believe that I'm NOT talking about you then what the hell are you worried about? Move along!
    Dramatic much?

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Push to increase inadequate dole rejected.

Quote Originally Posted by ToonZie View Post
    1. The payment is disgusting and should be increased. I don't really care about the minority who take advantage- no system is perfect and every society is going to have a freeloader or two. Our concern should be with the majority of people receiving the payment whilst trying to do the right thing.

2. Australia's rates of homelessness per capita are obscene. A god portion of homeless people are families (single and two parent) who hit hard times after job losses. When looking for work payments are so low, homelessness happens quickly and easily and once it does it's even harder to do yourself out.

3. A better way for the government to save money is to axe the PHI rebate as advised by treasury rather than reduce funding to the most vulnerable.
    I have PHI to take some of the strain off the public health system. I can't really afford it, but I have it anyway. Scrapping the phi rebate just puts more strain on our already crippled public health system.

The government should be working more with private enterprise and supporting small businesses to create jobs. They should be coming up with ways of easing the extreme costs of renting or buying a home, and essentials like electricity. In Newcastle where I live thousands of job opportunities have been lost to the government succumbing to minority groups who have their priorities wrong.

People need and want a hand up, not a hand out, increasing the newstart payment, (whilst I agree it needs to be increased somewhat) does not solve the problem of high cost housing, high cost utilities and massive job cuts across the country.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby star View Post
    yeah and WITH rent assistance I got a grand total of ... 460 dollars a fortnight ... could you HONESTLY live on 460 dollars a fortnight?
    I was lucky as rent was only 260 a fortnight, now I would be ****ed as rent alone would be 400 (minimum) electricity well say 40 that leaves a grand total of 20 dollars to eat with
    You do realise that a pack of 2 minute noodles only costs $1.10 at aldi right?? $20 is plenty enough to cover that - geez!!! I did it! Why can't you!

I also walked 10 miles in the snow barefoot to go to school!!! You should be like me cos I have it all worked out!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Deserama For This Useful Post:

intruderalert1234  (01-12-2012),trishalishous  (01-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dramatic much?
    ...case in point

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Push to increase inadequate dole rejected.

I can't believe that it could even be brought up as a serious suggestion that people deliberately not be given enough to survive

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chew the Mintie For This Useful Post:

Stiflers Mom  (01-12-2012),trishalishous  (01-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Chew the Mintie View Post
    I can't believe that it could even be brought up as a serious suggestion that people deliberately not be given enough to survive
    As I said...lack of compassion breeds, it's only going to get worse