Closed Thread
Page 34 of 38 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    This is a very good point and one that gets overlooked a lot. It's all well and good for people to say go and get any job but that is dependent on employers actually hiring people who are overqualified. And the vast majority of employers will not do it.
    Yes this is exactly right. My older brother is nearly 40, has had a long career and extensive experience in upper management, has always worked very hard and would even go in on the weekends, and got 'manager of the year' on more than one occasion.

He is the last person on earth I would have thought would end up unemployed at this point in his life but it happened, right after the Brisbane floods where he lost his car and had extensive damage to his house.

He went in to a kind of depression and had to relocate back to NSW for a while while he got back on his feet. He went in to a partnership with another guy and spent the next year setting up a business, only for the other guy to run the finances of the business into the ground.

My brother walked away from this and had to end up coming to live with me, a single Mum who's now been supporting my brother as he's been out of work for a year and a half and has no money left.

Going into Centrelink recently was probably the hardest thing he's ever had to do as he is such a proud person, but he has been struggling to find another job! He is 'overqualified' or 'under-referenced' at this point for every position and it's very frustrating for him, not to mention hard on me as well.

Now he should have a good job hopefully by the end of next week, BUT it's very clear to me how easily people can fall on hard times and how easy it is to get into a rutt. T

he longer you're out of work the harder it can be to get out there and have the confidence in interviews that usef to come so naturally. Having children on top of that can be almost crippling for many people.

It's just such a complex issue - unemployment, and there's no easy fix. AND it's not just the individula who is affected by it, what about the families who have to support them during hard times? It's so stresful for everyone involved. I truly believe my brother would have struggled to even get out the door and go to interviews if it weren't for his family providing support, accommodation, food, and constant encouragement and validation of his skills. As it is, he will have to travel to Sydney (1.5 hours each way) once he starts work again but he is more than willing.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

ToonZie  (01-12-2012)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    This is a very good point and one that gets overlooked a lot. It's all well and good for people to say go and get any job but that is dependent on employers actually hiring people who are overqualified. And the vast majority of employers will not do it.
    Yep this was the issue hubby had when he was made redundant, he was over qualified for his currant career but underqualified for the next stage up we were very very (very) lucky that the jobseeker company he was allocated were finally willing to pay for him to do one certificate and he started work the day after he completed that course. There def needs to be more training available for those on newstart.

ETA I should probably add that yes he was looking for work while on newstart but he had the same issue as pp have mentioned, employers not wanting to higher someone over qualified.
    Last edited by headoverfeet; 01-12-2012 at 08:47.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakois View Post
    Oh what rot!

Your opinion is rather insulting and very narrow minded.

Just to let you know, I'm not a single mother. We live in a two high income household. Yet, I am fortunate enough not to have my head up my butt.

You never know what's around the corner and one day life might just make you live what you have judged .
    Choo choo choo!

The Karma train is acoming!!!!

Be afraid...be very afraid. Arrogance has a way of biting people in the butt!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Deserama For This Useful Post:

Jakois  (01-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Push to increase inadequate dole rejected.

Originally Posted by 2Bboys
    Of course parents should PARENT but why does that mean the government funds your decision not to be a working parent?

You seem to have a strong sense of entitlement.
    Originally Posted by BigRedV
    Have you ever received any bonus or ppl?

Quote Originally Posted by 2Bboys View Post
    Yes - it was a huge help to our family and was very much appreciated.
    So it's okay for the government to fund YOUR choice to stay at home and parent, but no one else's? Or is it that it's okay for the government to fund benefits only in cases where they are accessible to you?

YOU seem to have a strong sense of entitlement!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It's always about money with some people isn't it! The ALMIGHTY DOLLAR and where it comes from!

You may not get any benefits but your attitude stinks and you're bringing up kids who are just like you! Selfish arrogant nasty people! I hope Karma comes and knock you off all your pedistals. Get over yourselves seriously...you're a disgrace to the human race!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Deserama For This Useful Post:

shelle65  (01-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ToonZie View Post
    So it's okay for the government to fund YOUR choice to stay at home and parent, but no one else's? Or is it that it's okay for the government to fund benefits only in cases where they are accessible to you?

YOU seem to have a strong sense of entitlement!
    This isn't directed at you as I haven't seen you post in these sort of debates before. but your post got me thinking about a pattern I've noticed. People say low income families that ask for assistance are entitled. Yet in the next breath the same people will complain they don't get FTB bc their husband earns 150k or that their PHI rebate has gone down bc he's now earning over that amount. So a family on 15k is entitled for asking for help, but a family on 150k that believe they should still get payments and have the govt pay their PHI aren't? the concept confuses the heck of out me lol

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

intruderalert1234  (01-12-2012),Izy  (01-12-2012),missie_mackxxxx  (01-12-2012),Stiflers Mom  (01-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deserama View Post
    It's always about money with some people isn't it! The ALMIGHTY DOLLAR and where it comes from!

You may not get any benefits but your attitude stinks and you're bringing up kids who are just like you! Selfish arrogant nasty people! I hope Karma comes and knock you off all your pedistals. Get over yourselves seriously...you're a disgrace to the human race!
    really so now if we dont agree then our kids are going to be bad people? My kids are awesome people and know they have to work for what they want. My 16 year old has a job because she wanted things that I wouldnt just hand her. Yeah I guess raising kids to know that welfare is not a choice unless you absolutely need it is bad. Teaching your kids that you dont simply have children get on welfare and exist, that you need to work hard and contribute to the community as much as you can. Glad you cleared that up I will have to quit my job and live off the government so they can learn to be good people. Thanks Ill get right on that.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Lovemyfam For This Useful Post:

soon2bmumzy  (01-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovemyfam View Post
    really so now if we dont agree then our kids are going to be bad people? My kids are awesome people and know they have to work for what they want. My 16 year old has a job because she wanted things that I wouldnt just hand her. Yeah I guess raising kids to know that welfare is not a choice unless you absolutely need it is bad. Teaching your kids that you dont simply have children get on welfare and exist, that you need to work hard and contribute to the community as much as you can. Glad you cleared that up I will have to quit my job and live off the government so they can learn to be good people. Thanks Ill get right on that.
    uh yeah, you must know some really ****ty people,
    personally I dont know ANYONE who sits down and says hey I know I think I'll have a kid (that I must then RAISE for the next 18-25 years) JUST so I can get 1100 (generous here) a fortnight, score ladies and gentlemen I think I have found the money and a brilliant idea!

My parents lived on welfare for times in their lives and I like to believe I am a good person, my son has had his mother live on welfare at times in his life and HE is a good person,

He will be raised with a good work ethic but also that it is OKAY to ask for HELP when you NEED it and to have COMPASSION for those worse off than him.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to intruderalert1234 For This Useful Post:

peanutmonkey  (01-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovemyfam View Post
    How do you know I was talking to you?

BTW I'm talking about attitude, the attitude some have towards others who are worse off than them and bringing children up with the same compassionless attitude!

If the boot fits - wear it! If not then don't!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby star View Post
    uh yeah, you must know some really ****ty people,
    personally I dont know ANYONE who sits down and says hey I know I think I'll have a kid (that I must then RAISE for the next 18-25 years) JUST so I can get 1100 (generous here) a fortnight, score ladies and gentlemen I think I have found the money and a brilliant idea!

My parents lived on welfare for times in their lives and I like to believe I am a good person, my son has had his mother live on welfare at times in his life and HE is a good person,

He will be raised with a good work ethic but also that it is OKAY to ask for HELP when you NEED it and to have COMPASSION for those worse off than him.
    Compassion goes a loooooooooooong way!