Closed Thread
Page 29 of 38 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    A lot of others came to similar conclusions to me, so I don't think we all just ignored your posts and all came to similar conclusions.
    Quote Originally Posted by lillytheo View Post
    I am the child of a single mother, but she worked and she didn't receive support because she believes you should work for what you are given.

I will be returning to work despite being considered "middle income" because we have to work for the things we need. That's how life is.
    I agree with these ideals. I truly do. I think employment is great for self esteem, I think it is simply the best feeling in the world to look at everything you have and think "I earned that!"

i can accept, though, that others have different priotities. And I do not believe that they should be punished for this. Some genuinely believe that children benefit from having a parent at home until school age. I do not believe that a SAHM should have to go against her beliefs simpy because her marriage ended.

I also believe that having children should not be a privilidge reserved purely for the financially well off. The cost of living in this day and age is pretty extreme, and a LOT of families simply wouldn't be able to have children without things like BB (hence its introduction) and FTB. Pretty sure when FTB was introduced it was because "no child should be living in poverty in this country".

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

jez  (30-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I will be returning to work despite being considered "middle income" because we have to work for the things we need. That's how life is.

Well aren't you lucky to have work to 'return to' then. Its not that easy or simple for a lot of people. A lot of people have just recently lost their jobs, especially in Qld, and would dearly love to 'work for the things they need'. There are more unemployed people than jobs. And when you have children and are competing against young, childless people who can be more flexible its not a sure thing that you can just decide to work and go do it. Let alone when other conditions come into play such as mental health or physical disabilities.

That's just how life is too. That's one reason we have welfare.

And as cost of living has skyrocketed, and that is a fact that is well documented, so should welfare payments increase. Otherwise welfare has essentially gone down in real terms. Welfare payments are kept low for obvious reasons. So its not possible for them to decrease in real terms without placing people in severe financial distress. If cost of living goes up, welfare should go up.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

intruderalert1234  (30-11-2012),SoThisIsLove  (30-11-2012),Stiflers Mom  (01-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Push to increase inadequate dole rejected.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathermy View Post
    For the record that wasn't my suggestion at all, I too have no problem with BB, PPL etc. My point was that people receiving middle class 'welfare', 'help', 'bonus' etc are not smacked with the naughty stick in the way that others receiving such payments are. It's hypocritical. You don't see too many people forgoing their middle class welfare on the basis of moral high ground, and the way people bang on about new start & the pension etc you would think their righteous views would prevent them from accepting such 'handouts'.
    Tbh, I felt terrible today when I received my first ever mail from centrelink. I would love to be in a position where we wouldn't have to accept such hand outs. But I think that in this day and age, with living being so expensive, a "middle class" family doesn't really have the option. And I recognise that those people permanently on benefits live like that all the time. My heart truly goes out to those who are on benefits whilst trying to get back on their feet. Not so much for those who are on benefits because they feel entitled to it.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackEyedPea View Post
    You seem to have a one-size-fits-all approach to life. You have no idea if the complexity of people and their various situations. And certainly no compassion.

oh and way to patronise single mums.
    Thanks for wording so succinctly what I was trying to think to write.

Life is not one size nor one set of circumstances, beliefs or values fits all.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Ellewood  (30-11-2012)

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shelle65 View Post
    Can you imagine a single mother with a child under 12 years of age surviving a grad year?? I sure as hell can't.
    Nooooo, don't say that, that will be me next year. Really hoping that living under the poverty line for the last year is not going to be for nothing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Return to work full time, I am currently on maternity leave (i know, don't die of shock, i would return to work despite my child not being school age !!) sell the house we've both been working for and downsize significantly. I am and have always been excellent at budgeting so I'm sure those skills will hold me in good steed & I'm sure I can get some tips from my mum on how to make it work, seeing as she raised two without support.
    Don't forget my husband is employed so I would receive some form of child support & he is a great Dad so he would want to have lots of access to his child.

Oh and whilst I was a single mummy I wouldn't be having anymore kids, I'm sure that will help.

It can be done ladies, you can be a single parent and work! I know people who have done/are doing it!! Particularly when you're kids are at school.

But I guess those with the mentality that they are entitled to be handed everything would see it as too much like hard work and require effort and will never change their minds.
    Single mum here who works full time and gets no CS, PPS, nothing. I'm also teaching my daughter to appreciate how lucky and privileged she is and that lots of other people have a much harder lot in life and that we should be compassionate and help people wherever we can, rather than judge them from our ivory tower. Something your mother clearly failed to teach you.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to shelle65 For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (30-11-2012),babyla  (30-11-2012),Boobycino  (30-11-2012),intruderalert1234  (30-11-2012),peanutmonkey  (30-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    Nooooo, don't say that, that will be me next year. Really hoping that living under the poverty line for the last year is not going to be for nothing.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to shelle65 For This Useful Post:

Ana Gram  (30-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    Do you mean like PPL? Yes I think that should exist. BB? Not sure. Most other countries seem to survive ok without it, but I don't presume to know the ins and outs of the social security systems in other countries.

If you're asking if I think the Government should give payments high enough to allow parents (single or otherwise) to stay home for six years until their kid goes to school the answer is no.
    Parenting payments full stop,
    The govt has parenting payment single and partnered,
    You don't believe a woman should get payed for parenting so do you believe parenting payment should not exist at all? (NOT baby bonus or paid parental leave)
    Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510b using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Push to increase inadequate dole rejected.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby star View Post
    Parenting payments full stop,
    The govt has parenting payment single and partnered,
    You don't believe a woman should get payed for parenting so do you believe parenting payment should not exist at all? (NOT baby bonus or paid parental leave)
    I don't know enough about that specific payment to comment.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    I don't know enough about that specific payment to comment.
    It's the parenting payment, unless you or your partner earn to much you get it,
    My dp could earn 1100$ a fortnight and I was still entitled to $400 from centrelink as a 'psrtnered parent'