Closed Thread
Page 27 of 38 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lillytheo View Post
    It can be done ladies, you can be a single parent and work! I know people who have done/are doing it!! Particularly when you're kids are at school.
    like I said in an earlier post, most single parents either work or study. It can be done, but there are also some who lose their job.

I worked when I was a single parent, but this was after the 12 months I had to wait on the child care waiting list. Before that, I worked one day per week while my oarents watched DS (the absolute maximum I could ask of them, with them both working fulltime).

i still qualified for some PPS when I worked the 1 day per week thankfully.

I think you have very romantic ideals in your head of what single parenting is. My DS's father was employed while I was with him. Pretty ironic how he quit work as soon as we broke up so I received a grand total of something like $2.86 a month. Wooooo hoooo!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

intruderalert1234  (30-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Push to increase inadequate dole rejected.

Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    I have to admit I don't really understand the sentiment that women should be "paid" (I use that term loosely) to stay home until their kids are in school. I don't see why it's an issue to return to work earlier than that and have them in some sort of care.
    My son is just as deserving to have a parent at home as ANY other child REGARDLESS of marital status!

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510b using BubHub

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to intruderalert1234 For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (30-11-2012),SoThisIsLove  (30-11-2012),SpecialPatrolGroup  (30-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    But I guess those with the mentality that they are entitled to be handed everything would see it as too much like hard work and require effort and will never change their minds.
    This is a strawman. No one has said this.... People are trying to explain why it's not as black and white as get out and get a job when you are single. That's all. I fully support primary carers training or looking for work once the kids are at school. The issue is that the govt is doing little with the logistics of how this happens. They are saying study or get work, but are not addressing the barriers to why it's so hard for them to work.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

intruderalert1234  (30-11-2012),shelle65  (30-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby star View Post
    And if your husband didn't end up being such a 'great' father and your work made you redundant? Or you weren't on maternity leave? Or your now ex just doesn't pay his share of child support?
    Which happens quite regularly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Push to increase inadequate dole rejected.

My son is just as deserving to have a parent at home as ANY other child REGARDLESS of marital status!

Sorry? How does marital status come into it? I didn't mention that at all.

I believe this to be the case for all parents, partnered or otherwise.

ETA: its this "deserving" thing I don't get. I don't think kids miss out by having a working mum/dad.

Thanks
    Reviews
    And if your husband didn't end up being such a 'great' father and your work made you redundant? Or you weren't on maternity leave? Or your now ex just doesn't pay his share of child support?

Pray tell these things simply don't happen when you are living in never never land

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mathermy For This Useful Post:

peanutmonkey  (30-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Getting a degree is nowhere near the end of your problems as a working parent (single or otherwise). Most professional graduate positions are highly competitive and full-time. You have zero bargaining power as you are competing against thousands of other intelligent, accomplished uni graduates for a job. If you are lucky enough to get a graduate position, then you usually have to impress to be kept on. This means working late nights, sometimes working weekends, basically being ready to jump whenever the boss asks.

When I went back to work after having DD, I was sufficiently senior to be able to leave at 5.30 to pick her up from daycare without any problems. However a friend in his graduate year whose wife had a baby was called to come into work the day after the baby was born. He had no choice. Tell the boss to shove it = goodbye any chance of a permanent position, hello unemployment and years of study down the drain.

Can you imagine a single mother with a child under 12 years of age surviving a grad year?? I sure as hell can't.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shelle65 For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (30-11-2012),cmd'smum  (30-11-2012),MissMuppet  (30-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I believe this to be the case for all parents, partnered or otherwise.
    So you don't think there should be any form of parenting 'payement' then?

PlayNice is offline Saving the world one chocolate at a time
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Return to work full time, I am currently on maternity leave (i know, don't die of shock, i would return to work despite my child not being school age !!) sell the house we've both been working for and downsize significantly. I am and have always been excellent at budgeting so I'm sure those skills will hold me in good steed & I'm sure I can get some tips from my mum on how to make it work, seeing as she raised two without support.
    Don't forget my husband is employed so I would receive some form of child support & he is a great Dad so he would want to have lots of access to his child.

Oh and whilst I was a single mummy I wouldn't be having anymore kids, I'm sure that will help.

It can be done ladies, you can be a single parent and work! I know people who have done/are doing it!! Particularly when you're kids are at school.

But I guess those with the mentality that they are entitled to be handed everything would see it as too much like hard work and require effort and will never change their minds.
    You mention your skillset and your social, emotional and financial supports. Do you understand not everyone has those supports and advantages???

Do you think some people wake up in the morning and say "I think I will spend my life on welfare because it will be so much fun raising kids on the poverty line!" ???

15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PlayNice For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (30-11-2012),Ellewood  (30-11-2012),Gandalf  (30-11-2012),intruderalert1234  (30-11-2012),peanutmonkey  (30-11-2012),shelle65  (30-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    No you didn't and I do agree with some of your sentiments - that there is absolutely nothing wrong with returning to work or study before children are school age, esp if it means to escape poverty etc.

the problem with a lot of people's mentality is that single mum being a stay at home mum = bad. Partnered mum being a stay at home mum = great!

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (30-11-2012),Ellewood  (30-11-2012),intruderalert1234  (30-11-2012)