Closed Thread
Page 23 of 38 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
    Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by soon2bmumzy View Post
    He should have been able to get a temporary disability pension and the his partner should have been able to get a carers pension!
    Nope, they said he didn't qualify. No partner, so no help there.

But this was 10 years ago, i would dearly hope they had changed this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    But it is what it's intended for lol To sustain them during the study period, which for an undergrad is usually 3-4 years. The payments of Austudy and Newstart are specifically designed and created to help them break the cycle - be that getting quals, or a job.
    3-4 years and they get 6-8 then the government is going above and beyond don't you think?

Quote Originally Posted by lillytheo View Post
    I agree for short term users to have an increase of $50pw, unfortunately people do fall on hard times. Long term bludgers should have to work for the dole everyday, with time allowed for interviews and assistance with job seeking. No one should be able to stay at home and receive a payment.

When your child is at school get a job if you are on government handouts.

Having worked in hr I can tell you it is quite easy to pick those that don't want the job and are just there to tick the boxes for their next payment, they annoy me to no end as they waste my time and take up the interview place of someone who genuinely wants to work.

Single mothers, when you consider FTB, child support and single parent pension are receiving more than those on minimum wage who go to work everyday to support their family.
    I understand people saying they have the right to stay home with their children & perhaps they do but I know HEAPS of "middle" income families where mum HAS to go to work as well to ensure that they can afford to live. Both parents are working and both parents do so to ensure that they can meet the needs of their children and provide a better life, what an excellent example they are setting IMHO , work hard to get ahead. Apparently these people though are to be scorned for thinking that if they have to do so why do others continually get handouts.
    Why if the "nuclear" family have to do that is everyone so adamant that single parents don't have to?

If you choose to stay home with your children, that is your choice to make but don't think you are above or deserve or are entitled to more than people who go to work so that they can support their families. Stop whinging about your handout when people are working harder and giving up more.

My mother was a single parent, no child support (the system back then didn't make it mandatory) and she worked her **** off! She cleaned, she took in ironing, she worked to provide for us. Because in her mind its not someone else's responsibility to pay for her kids. I can honestly say we didn't miss out, we had home baked biscuits and cakes and home made, packed with nutrition food. Yep we didn't have McDonald's or KFC or that crap but I think that is a good thing, we still got treats once a fortnight but once they were gone that was it until the next fortnight.

She instilled in us that we had to work for everything and so we do. I worked from 14 & 9 months, I have never had difficulty finding a job, even after 12 months of not working as we were overseas for my husbands job I applied for three jobs within a week of being back in Australia and received interviews for all three and then was able to pick the job I wanted. I believe it's my work ethic that carries me from one job to the next, my reputation as a good worker, my presentation and ability to conduct myself appropriately in an interview. My husband left school, did an apprenticeship and through being good at his job, a good reliable person has worked his way up.

I think people who say its not your tax dollar are naive and foolish. It is my tax dollar along with a lot of other hard working Australians tax dollars, I work my **** off, as does my husband, we receive nothing, we pay and use our private health, we will be putting our kids in private school, we pay some of the highest taxes in the world. Why shouldn't I get ****ed off that more & more of my money is taken away from me for working hard and making significant sacrifices for people who sit on the dole, single parent pension for years and years while I and millions like me work our arses off to pay for it.
    I hate Australia's Robin Hood mentality, you have more than me so you should give me more!!!

Like I said at the start I have no problem paying the extra $50 a fn from MY tax dollars for those that have genuinely fallen on a hard time and for whom it is a short term solution, for those sitting on it for years, no increase should be given and they should have to work appropriate hours for what they do receive.
    Well said. My mom was the same, she worked went to university, with student loans and raised 3 kids watching this I learned that we work for what we need and if we cant make ends meet we either are over spending on things or need a better job. Like when I Was financially struggling she looked at my finances and pointed out that I did over spend, I was spending too much on the kids for stuff they wanted didnt need. If I wanted the kids to have an ipod, or video game I would have to get another job or better job which did make sense to me. She taught me to never depend on a man, woman or government to raise my kids and provide for them.

I have had to rely on welfare in the states a few times to get back on my feet. It was what it was although the programs they have over there are much stricter and I think serve the people better you simply just cant sit on welfare anymore and it has helped a lot of my friends get back to work and get off welfare all together never to look back. You also can only get it for 4 years max your whole life which really makes people think before hopping on it. This is where people will bash America but hey their systems do work for a lot of people that want them to work. If they had the amount of jobs we have here it would be working a lot better, but where one cant find a job they create one for them to work for the payments, which then relieves money the government would have to pay to have another person work it so its pretty helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by shelle65 View Post
    Well personally I would prefer it if the student doctor assisting with my operation didn't have to do a graveyard shift at McDonald's last night just to be able to get through uni...
    Most doctors work long hours at the hospital, many work 24 hour periods with naps here and there so most are tired when they go into surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by headoverfeet View Post
    I just wanted to quietly say that I really think we need to invest in the mother (be it single or partnered) staying home for at least the first 2 years if that means giving financial assistance then so be it. It would do well to increase our breastfeeding rates which would improve the financial demand on our hospitals etc. Once the youngest child reaches school age I do think the SAHP should return to work BUT we need to sort out things like work hours, CC, yadda yadda for some at the moment it is nearly impossible. I know some mining towns are hiring SAHM during school hours to cover workers breaks, it's an awesome scheme which serves both the company and the parents that want school hour jobs. I just wish there were more of them around.

I think adding $50 a week to increase the dole is in line with the costs of living at the moment, for sure. We have struggled when hubby was made redundant a few years ago we were on newstart and PPP (included FTB and rent assistance) it was a nightmare we had to consolidate our debt to survive (a part 9 debt agreement which has killed my credit rating)- to be able to buy food and pay rent and to cover energy bills. I also think that if people cut down on buying things in credit it would make things easier should hard times hit, learnt this the hard way myself.
    Right now parents get 6-8 years at home to raise the kids. Thats a lot longer than the 2 years.

So is there a reason that parents cant get a degree in the 6-8 years that they are allowed to stay home? I understand that every parent prob wants to stay home and raise the kids but when life happens it cant always happen if you find that one parents income cant hold the family up you may have to go to work if you find yourself single you may have to go to work. Life doesn't always go the way we want but that doesn't mean we attack the government for not providing enough they do what they can do. I do think CC needs a rework but they are working on that.
    Last edited by Lovemyfam; 30-11-2012 at 19:06.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by Mummajugs28 View Post
    I was doing cash work on the side etc
    So you were defrauding tax payers by not paying income tax?

Why is there an assumption that wanting increase in some welfare payments means that we are ungrateful for the welfare system we have? I happen to think our nationalised medicare system is frikkin' fantastic but I can still think that it is woefully underfunded in many areas.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

WorkingClassMum  (30-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    Six years ago I left work because I was pregnant and awfully awfully sick (anaemia and morning sickness). Rather than continue calling in sick or leaving work early due to being sick or falling asleep, I decided to do the right thing by both myself and my employer and leave. Went to centrelink and they said pregnancy wasn't a good enough excuse to not work lol. So they wouldnt give me newstart. So looked for temp or casual work. The second employers realised I was pregnant, I didn't even get a look-in. Despite previously getting every job I had ever applied for.

that was a fun few months with NO income.

i, too, hope things have changed. I also have known people in the past who have cancer but dont qualify for sickness benefits. It's a disgrace.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Push to increase inadequate dole rejected.

Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    Nope, they said he didn't qualify. No partner, so no help there.

Yep it has changed. I have breast cancer and I am allowed to claim for a carer, disability and more childcare but I haven't claimed as I don't think it's necessary yet... Maybe if I got worse I would have to.

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Grebbeci View Post
    Just a couple of things on the middle class help factor.

I have held down a job with a minimum of 20 hours a week work since I was 14 & 9 months. Not once have I been eligible to receive any payments from the government, not when I was studying full time (I just had to study and work a full time job) not when I got made redundant. Thankfully I ended up getting another job straight away but that was after applying to over 300 jobs in 3 weeks, everything from super menial jobs right up to jobs that were more of a 'well it's along shot but I might have to fake it till I make it.' DH was out of work for over 6 months and we got nothing, not even a health care card. He then worked his a55 off on an apprentice wage for 4 years whilst we tried to pay for IVF.

Now I am 6 weeks off having our first baby (after 5 go's at IVF for medically diagnosed infertility, which the government gives you sh!t all back for now) and finally I am able to get some for of help from the government, 18 weeks of paid maternity leave, after that time I will have to go back to work, because hubby 'technically' earns too much for us to get anything. We don't live an extravagant life, we live in a 3 bed, 100 year old house an hour out of town.

Now I don't have a problem at all with paying taxes, don't have a problem with those going towards paying Newstart and other assistance packages for those in need. I don't agree that single parents should be dropped back to the basic newstart allowance. I understand that not everyone is able to secure employment, I have seen 1st hand how many job applications come from a seek ad, (one company I worked for received over 1000 in 48 hours) I would like to see some more of the money going into education to help people who are on long term unemployment benefits obtain jobs, or potentially even some more partnerships between the government and private enterprise to support this.

But I DO have a problem when people say that PPL and the baby bonus and things such as that should be heavily means tested. Why should I be deprived of the opportunity to spend time at home with my baby just because we have worked our absolute butts off to make sure that we never had to use government assistance, so that it was available for people that had no choice.

Middle class families are usually only middle class families because they are working incredibly hard to be that way, take one wage out of the equation and you very quickly drop from being middle class to being lower.

OK, my rants over. I'm sorry if I have offended anyone but it makes me really angry when people suggest that middle class people shouldn't be entitled to assistance. Sometimes they need it too, especially when it comes to things like PPL and baby bonus.
    For the record that wasn't my suggestion at all, I too have no problem with BB, PPL etc. My point was that people receiving middle class 'welfare', 'help', 'bonus' etc are not smacked with the naughty stick in the way that others receiving such payments are. It's hypocritical. You don't see too many people forgoing their middle class welfare on the basis of moral high ground, and the way people bang on about new start & the pension etc you would think their righteous views would prevent them from accepting such 'handouts'.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mathermy For This Useful Post:

Benji  (30-11-2012),delirium  (30-11-2012)

PlayNice is offline Saving the world one chocolate at a time
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathermy View Post
    For the record that wasn't my suggestion at all, I too have no problem with BB, PPL etc. My point was that people receiving middle class 'welfare', 'help', 'bonus' etc are not smacked with the naughty stick in the way that others receiving such payments are. It's hypocritical. You don't see too many people forgoing their middle class welfare on the basis of moral high ground, and the way people bang on about new start & the pension etc you would think their righteous views would prevent them from accepting such 'handouts'.
    Thats a good point, I think there is a double standard there.

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by soon2bmumzy View Post
    Yep it has changed. I have breast cancer and I am allowed to claim for a carer, disability and more childcare but I haven't claimed as I don't think it's necessary yet... Maybe if I got worse I would have to.
    I'm glad it's changed so that it is available for you and people in your position I hope you recover fully and quickly so you never need it

Just as a side note, when my partner died 10 years ago (yes, I am aware my life sounds like a soap opera, maybe this is all a coma dream...), I was unable to get anything except Newstart. I think they have also changed this so that people can get a short bereavement payment.

ETA: Just checked on that bereavement payment. it's only available if you or your partner were already on a payment.
    Last edited by Ana Gram; 30-11-2012 at 19:21.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    Unless a single mum is receiving a pretty high amount of child support (and even then would lose a portion, or all, FTB), not many would receive more than the minimum wage. Someone on the minimum wage who has children would receive benefits on top of their wage, so still end up better off.

if a single mum can stay at home, why would a middle class partnered mum 'have' to return to work? I don't understand? Reality is that most single mums work or study anyway.

Why do we have to work? Because we don't get one cent of assistance from the government, we pay full cost for everything, no rent assistance, no utilities assistance, no health care card, nothing, because we want to put a roof over our children's head and hopefully one day own our own home so we have something to leave our children when we die, so that we can give them the best chance at a good education & perhaps they will be in a better position when they are adults, we want to give them the best we possibly can and we understand to do that we have to work hard, pay our taxes, pay for people who bludge (and people who fall on tough times) so that once everyone else has dipped into our wages and taken their bit of our hard earned money we can have enough left over to do the best for our kids and hey hopefully we'll set a good example that hard work and persistence pays off in life and our children won't fall into the "welfare trap".

Why should Australian workers pay for the fact someone decided to have children and that a relationship didn't work out?

I also resent paying for those that keep having child after child knowing they can't support them. Lots of us don't or have a limit on the number of children we have because that is all we can support.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to lillytheo For This Useful Post:

Mummajugs28  (30-11-2012)