Closed Thread
Page 21 of 38 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Push to increase inadequate dole rejected.

Please note that i am 38 weeks pregnant and in qld heat with no air con, posts from me will be adopting an increasingly surly tone

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Chew the Mintie For This Useful Post:

Laydeebugxxx  (30-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    And then we wonder why there are teacher/doctor/nurse etc shortages.

Thanks
    Reviews

Yes but single parent Uni students ARE on new start, and that's what we' re talking about. It really worries me.

I don't know why anyone would want to stay on welfare because frankly it's awful, but for those that do I think it's the result of things like low expectations, low esteem, not feeling part of society or not feeling you have anything to contribute, etc (to name just a few) ie problems that aren't fixed by reducing payments

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnyd View Post
    Chew the mintie i said I wasn't talking about single parents studying - I agree that's much harder and it's more complicated. I was talking about your regular run of the mill uni/tafe student. Do you really think that every single student in Australia should be fully financially supported throughout their entire study period? Which can be up to 8-10 years if they go all the way through!? I certainly don't!!! And I don't think they should either!! There is absoutely no reason why students cannot work while they study and thankfully most do.
    It's not as cut and dry as that though. I deferred 2nd semester of my first year and worked for 6 months f/t. But my degree has field placements, and not the odd day here and there. I did 3 x 14 week f/t placements in my 4 years at uni. So I couldn't work for more than a quarter of the year bc I was working for free doing 40 hours a week. In my final year I worked 20 hours a week when I didn't have field placement. But between the long uni hours and placement it was really taxing... and I had no kids.

I was lucky I was with my DH, who mainly supported me as he worked. I couldn't imagine how hard it would have been to support myself on Austudy, not being able to work for 3 1/2 months of every year and living just off payments.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Well personally I would prefer it if the student doctor assisting with my operation didn't have to do a graveyard shift at McDonald's last night just to be able to get through uni...

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shelle65 For This Useful Post:

intruderalert1234  (30-11-2012),MissMuppet  (30-11-2012),WorkingClassMum  (30-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shelle65 View Post
    Well personally I would prefer it if the student doctor assisting with my operation didn't have to do a graveyard shift at McDonald's last night just to be able to get through uni...
    Dont be silly shelle. They chose to be a doctor, they can pay for themselves. While we're at it, they should pay for the entire education. Sick of these bludging doctors, who needs them?

threechooks is offline If my spelling annoys you that's your problem.... I have better things to do than proofread !
    Thanks
    Reviews
    McDonalds is always hiring. Very few people don't live near a maccas.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to threechooks For This Useful Post:

Lovemyfam  (30-11-2012),soon2bmumzy  (30-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

[QUOTE=Albert01;6935735]
    DH got a second job, I was doing cash work on the side etc. if DH could get two jobs (one was delivering food, the other was a desk job) how can people sit on the dole for years claiming they needn't found anything. I also claim bull****[/QUOTES]

Mummajugs28....
    It seems like you're suggesting that there are people out there who are rorting the system, that is, getting Centrelink benefits for job seeking without looking for work....

Yet you also say you have picked up cash in hand work...hmm.

Did you pay tax on that? If not, is this not rorting the system?

Does this not suggest that you are a hypocrite?

I realise this sounds harsh but it just seems like people are so quick to offer judgement on another person without assessing all of the intricacies and complexities at play...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub
    Haha. Cash in hand work was mowing lawns around my neighborhood for the oldies and baby sitting here and there. Big bucks there thats me rorting the system. I'm an accountant by trade so I was fully aware how much I needed to earn to have to pay tax and $70 a week just wasn't enough. In fact it was actually classified as "hobby work" Which doesnt attract tax unless you earn over a certain amount each year. So in answer to your question, no I don't find myself to be hypocritical - I find myself to be aware of the legislation that was applicable to me and my situation when I needed it.

You are right about one thing though!!!

'people are so quick to offer judgement on another person without assessing all of the intricacies and complexities at play'
    Last edited by Mummajugs28; 30-11-2012 at 17:13.

threechooks is offline If my spelling annoys you that's your problem.... I have better things to do than proofread !
    Thanks
    Reviews
    My Dh was out of work for 6 months - recovering from surgery. He did not qualify for newstart/disability. F u government. They said we had too many assets. Assets that were impossible to sell during the GFC.
    Last edited by threechooks; 30-11-2012 at 17:08.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to threechooks For This Useful Post:

Lovemyfam  (30-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    Dont be silly shelle. They chose to be a doctor, they can pay for themselves. While we're at it, they should pay for the entire education. Sick of these bludging doctors, who needs them?
    I don't want MY tax dollars ensuring that student doctors actually attend their classes and do their homework They should be working! They can just learn from their mistakes once they're qualified and earning an income and paying TAX!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to shelle65 For This Useful Post:

Benji  (30-11-2012)