Closed Thread
Page 20 of 38 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
    SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnyd View Post
    Sorry I think I am missing something here...

Since when was Centrelink designed to fully financially support you (besides pensioners, disability and similar)? Youth Allowance, Newstart etc is there to give you a leg up when you need assistance in hard times/while studying etc, it was never designed nor intended to fully financially support you.....

I think payments should be increased inline with CPI, and that's it.
    Providing financial support to people who are engaged in study is an investment, that pays dividends. By supporting say a (centrelink recipient) single mum for example to go to uni,you are giving her opportunity to earn more, thus pay more tax, call on less social and community services, possibly afford PHI, using a private dentist instead of state subsidised dental services, has more disposable income to spend, thus putting more money back into the economy, and is more likely for her children to complete high school and go on to tertiary education and repeat the whole cycle over. So should we support single mums to go to uni. Hell yeah.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

delirium  (30-11-2012),PomPoms  (30-11-2012),shelle65  (30-11-2012),ToonZie  (01-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialPatrolGroup View Post
    Providing financial support to people who are engaged in study is an investment, that pays dividends. By supporting say a (centrelink recipient) single mum for example to go to uni,you are giving her opportunity to earn more, thus pay more tax, call on less social and community services, possibly afford PHI, using a private dentist instead of state subsidised dental services, has more disposable income to spend, thus putting more money back into the economy, and is more likely for her children to complete high school and go on to tertiary education and repeat the whole cycle over. So should we support single mums to go to uni. Hell yeah.
    Exactly

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Push to increase inadequate dole rejected.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovemyfam View Post

Its a defense often used in these threads if you ever received any payment ever then you can not think its bad to be on aid for eternity because you yourself used the system, even if as intended.
    This topic was about raising the unemployment benefit to a basic livable amount NOT what should be done about the long term unemployed ... Just saying.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510b using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnyd View Post
    Sorry I think I am missing something here...

Since when was Centrelink designed to fully financially support you (besides pensioners, disability and similar)? Youth Allowance, Newstart etc is there to give you a leg up when you need assistance in hard times/while studying etc, it was never designed nor intended to fully financially support you.....

I think payments should be increased inline with CPI, and that's it.
    It's not a leg up if it is so low that it keeps you in the poverty cycle.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shelle65 For This Useful Post:

intruderalert1234  (30-11-2012),Laydeebugxxx  (30-11-2012),SoThisIsLove  (30-11-2012),SpecialPatrolGroup  (30-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    But it is what it's intended for lol To sustain them during the study period, which for an undergrad is usually 3-4 years. The payments of Austudy and Newstart are specifically designed and created to help them break the cycle - be that getting quals, or a job.
    No - it's to help them out to study, giving a bit of financial assistance to get them through. No it's not designed to fully financially support you and every single household bill. No one I know has been able to sit on youth allowance while studying and be able to live on it and I don't think they should either, why can't people work while studying? (not talking about single mums here, just students in general) - everyone I know has had to work while studying. It is what it is.

Yes it would be amazing if everyone could get the exact amount they needed to live comfortably, but then there is no incentive to get off. It's a very fine line.

However, currently these payments are not designed for full financial support. It's obvious when you look at how little money you get - it's a leg up only.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Push to increase inadequate dole rejected.

I agree for short term users to have an increase of $50pw, unfortunately people do fall on hard times. Long term bludgers should have to work for the dole everyday, with time allowed for interviews and assistance with job seeking. No one should be able to stay at home and receive a payment.

When your child is at school get a job if you are on government handouts.

Having worked in hr I can tell you it is quite easy to pick those that don't want the job and are just there to tick the boxes for their next payment, they annoy me to no end as they waste my time and take up the interview place of someone who genuinely wants to work.

Single mothers, when you consider FTB, child support and single parent pension are receiving more than those on minimum wage who go to work everyday to support their family.
    I understand people saying they have the right to stay home with their children & perhaps they do but I know HEAPS of "middle" income families where mum HAS to go to work as well to ensure that they can afford to live. Both parents are working and both parents do so to ensure that they can meet the needs of their children and provide a better life, what an excellent example they are setting IMHO , work hard to get ahead. Apparently these people though are to be scorned for thinking that if they have to do so why do others continually get handouts.
    Why if the "nuclear" family have to do that is everyone so adamant that single parents don't have to?

If you choose to stay home with your children, that is your choice to make but don't think you are above or deserve or are entitled to more than people who go to work so that they can support their families. Stop whinging about your handout when people are working harder and giving up more.

My mother was a single parent, no child support (the system back then didn't make it mandatory) and she worked her **** off! She cleaned, she took in ironing, she worked to provide for us. Because in her mind its not someone else's responsibility to pay for her kids. I can honestly say we didn't miss out, we had home baked biscuits and cakes and home made, packed with nutrition food. Yep we didn't have McDonald's or KFC or that crap but I think that is a good thing, we still got treats once a fortnight but once they were gone that was it until the next fortnight.

She instilled in us that we had to work for everything and so we do. I worked from 14 & 9 months, I have never had difficulty finding a job, even after 12 months of not working as we were overseas for my husbands job I applied for three jobs within a week of being back in Australia and received interviews for all three and then was able to pick the job I wanted. I believe it's my work ethic that carries me from one job to the next, my reputation as a good worker, my presentation and ability to conduct myself appropriately in an interview. My husband left school, did an apprenticeship and through being good at his job, a good reliable person has worked his way up.

I think people who say its not your tax dollar are naive and foolish. It is my tax dollar along with a lot of other hard working Australians tax dollars, I work my **** off, as does my husband, we receive nothing, we pay and use our private health, we will be putting our kids in private school, we pay some of the highest taxes in the world. Why shouldn't I get ****ed off that more & more of my money is taken away from me for working hard and making significant sacrifices for people who sit on the dole, single parent pension for years and years while I and millions like me work our arses off to pay for it.
    I hate Australia's Robin Hood mentality, you have more than me so you should give me more!!!

Like I said at the start I have no problem paying the extra $50 a fn from MY tax dollars for those that have genuinely fallen on a hard time and for whom it is a short term solution, for those sitting on it for years, no increase should be given and they should have to work appropriate hours for what they do receive.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lillytheo For This Useful Post:

Lovemyfam  (30-11-2012),soon2bmumzy  (30-11-2012),sunnyd  (30-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

If you are a full time Uni student and single mother, it's going to be extremely difficult to work as well.
    Even if you miraculously had time,
    Which you wouldnt, I don't see how you would find a job to fit around both Uni and caring for a child.

People seem to forget that single parents are actually caring for children, which is totally fine to be a full time job if you have a partner helping, strangely it should take no time at all if you're single.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chew the Mintie For This Useful Post:

Benji  (30-11-2012),Ellewood  (30-11-2012),MissMuppet  (30-11-2012),shelle65  (30-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Lilytheo people on minimum wage also receive FTb

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Unless a single mum is receiving a pretty high amount of child support (and even then would lose a portion, or all, FTB), not many would receive more than the minimum wage. Someone on the minimum wage who has children would receive benefits on top of their wage, so still end up better off.

if a single mum can stay at home, why would a middle class partnered mum 'have' to return to work? I don't understand? Reality is that most single mums work or study anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Chew the Mintie View Post
    If you are a full time Uni student and single mother, it's going to be extremely difficult to work as well.
    Even if you miraculously had time,
    Which you wouldnt, I don't see how you would find a job to fit around both Uni and caring for a child.

People seem to forget that single parents are actually caring for children, which is totally fine to be a full time job if you have a partner helping, strangely it should take no time at all if you're single.
    Chew the mintie i said I wasn't talking about single parents studying - I agree that's much harder and it's more complicated. I was talking about your regular run of the mill uni/tafe student. Do you really think that every single student in Australia should be fully financially supported throughout their entire study period? Which can be up to 8-10 years if they go all the way through!? I certainly don't!!! And I don't think they should either!! There is absoutely no reason why students cannot work while they study and thankfully most do.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnyd For This Useful Post:

Lovemyfam  (30-11-2012)