Closed Thread
Page 19 of 38 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Grebbeci View Post
    Serious question Delirium, 'cause I'm actually interested, but how do they do it, because my hubby isn't on super high pay and yet if I was to not go back to work next year after PPL runs out then we would be lucky to get $100/fn in FTB.
    what do you mean how do that do it? low income people? or those that are working and getting FTB?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    If you are asking how a one person working family with a SAHM gets so much FTB? Your DH must be earning around 80-90k ball park to only get $100 p/t? A family on say 70k would get more obviously. Then you will only have one child. Someone with say5 kids with a partner that say earns 50-60k (which is still about 4 times more than a single mum) would get about 800-900ish per fortnight. That's a whole income of a single mum with one child. Obviously it costs way more to feed and clothe 5 kids than 1, but my point is that the govt is spending the same amount of this hypothetical family, as the single parent one.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (30-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I just had a look at my PHI bill. $121 per month govt rebate on that.

If one claims that, FHOG, FTB, baby bonus or paid parental leave, has a couple of young kids in child care and gets the rebate and CCR there is a fair wad of cash. Not sure why it's fine for one group, but frowned upon for another.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

delirium  (30-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry I think I am missing something here...

Since when was Centrelink designed to fully financially support you (besides pensioners, disability and similar)? Youth Allowance, Newstart etc is there to give you a leg up when you need assistance in hard times/while studying etc, it was never designed nor intended to fully financially support you.....

I think payments should be increased inline with CPI, and that's it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Push to increase inadequate dole rejected.

Sunnyd don't you think a single mother completing a degree is entitled to something able to be lived on?

I really don't understand that attitude.

If ana gram, for example, was unable to complete her degree due to poverty and forced to find a low paying job that will probably never even rise above the tax threshold, aren't we all worse off than if she finishes, gets a good job, pays tax and can substantially improve her own child's opportunities?

Single parents don't belong on new start.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chew the Mintie For This Useful Post:

delirium  (30-11-2012),shelle65  (30-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Push to increase inadequate dole rejected.

Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    I just had a look at my PHI bill. $121 per month govt rebate on that.

If one claims that, FHOG, FTB, baby bonus or paid parental leave, has a couple of young kids in child care and gets the rebate and CCR there is a fair wad of cash. Not sure why it's fine for one group, but frowned upon for another.
    Because they work for it silly.

Their $300/$400 a pay tax dollars covers all that and also support them dole bludgers!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I dont think I have seen anyone suggest it should be forever, just that people cannot afford basic housing/food costs at the moment. I think there is a huge misunderstanding re a lot of those on newstart. I know the building trade in my State (note: my State, I know it is better in other States) is in a shambles. Some workers may get a job on a project for a few months, project finishes, back on newstart. These are qualified, skilled people who want to work. They barely scrape by on newstart for the months they are between jobs, bills rack up, rent/mortgage falls behind then they land a job. Pay goes to catching up on these unpaid bills. Job finishes, cycle continues.

i think it is rather naive to assume that all or most or even half of those on newstart want to be. Who would want to live on a couole of hundred bucks per week forever unless they had some serious social phobias preventing them from working?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Chew the Mintie View Post
    Sunnyd don't you think a single mother completing a degree is entitled to something able to be lived on?

I really don't understand that attitude.

If ana gram, for example, was unable to complete her degree due to poverty and forced to find a low paying job that will probably never even rise above the tax threshold, aren't we all worse off than if she finishes, gets a good job, pays tax and can substantially improve her own child's opportunities?

Single parents don't belong on new start.
    I'm not saying that single studying mums shouldn't be on something to fully support themselves, I'm saying that's not what these payments are currently designed for. Perhaps some other type of payments need to be created so that people who are doing the right thing to get off clink get what they need.

Newstart and youth allowance are however not designed for this and I don't think they should be either.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakois View Post
    Because they work for it silly.

Their $300/$400 a pay tax dollars covers all that and also support them dole bludgers!
    Lol oh yeah, I forgot haha! Those hard workers y'all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnyd View Post
    I'm not saying that single studying mums shouldn't be on something to fully support themselves, I'm saying that's not what these payments are currently designed for. Perhaps some other type of payments need to be created so that people who are doing the right thing to get off clink get what they need.

Newstart and youth allowance are however not designed for this and I don't think they should be either.
    But it is what it's intended for lol To sustain them during the study period, which for an undergrad is usually 3-4 years. The payments of Austudy and Newstart are specifically designed and created to help them break the cycle - be that getting quals, or a job.