Closed Thread
Page 17 of 38 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Push to increase inadequate dole rejected.

Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Firstly, I'll clearly say I support middle class help. It means mum can return to work for herself and the family and not lose all her wages. it means a family get some help when a baby is born. Middle income families get FTB help with the cost of living and to keep their heads above water.

But really, it's a bit rich when people criciticise people for getting next to nothing to live, pay bills and raise kids, while they are getting money they don't really 'need'; and when I say need I mean they aren't going to be homeless or starving without it. So essentially the begrudge the poorest, while taking money themselves on triple or quadruple in the income. Comes off really hypocritical.

Enjoy your BB, your child care rebate and don't feel you need to justify. but stop ragging on single mums and people on newstart Otherwise is pot... meet kettle
    It's interesting isn't it, I would hazard a guess that good portion of Australian families are receiving more than the dole in the form of ftb, BB etc, simply because they are able to pop out babies, which lets be honest, doesn't exactly require an education or specific skill set. Being able to procreate doesn't make us special and yet most entitled families are more than happy to accept the extra help and face no judgment or stigma for doing so.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mathermy For This Useful Post:

delirium  (30-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovemyfam View Post
    They are fixing the too expensive child care it will be .10 an hour for single parents meaning you could have your child in care 10 hours a day for $1 a day thats $5 a week, so they are trying to help and the money to cover the day care cost has to come form somewhere. I really think they are doing the right thing. Your idea about
    Not sure if you are referring to JET, but if has a time limit. I've never been a single mum, so I'm sure someone will give more accurate info than me. But it isn't a permanent subsidy.

What needs to happen is for the govt to very heavily subside CC for EVERYONE. More women would return to work, and earlier. So the extra years of tax would pay for what the govt pays.

I would also like to see pre school/prep completely free. I'm in NSW and we earn just under 50k a year (so not even middle class) and I pay over $300 a term.... and that's for only 2 days a week

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Push to increase inadequate dole rejected.

My husband gets medical insurance as do my kids and he got baby bonus which is over now. So what is it you think is right to allow every family a parent at home? Until when the kids are grown? Sometimes we cant have what we want its just life. I also don't think that people who are married should be exempt from rules they are getting changes too, this thread was just about the single ones but partnered are getting changes too.
    I'm not saying every child should have a parent at home, my husband works and I work part-time. I believe if a parent wants to stay at home until their child is at school, then everybody should have that choice if they believe it is in the best interest of their children.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

delirium  (30-11-2012),Laydeebugxxx  (30-11-2012),PomPoms  (30-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    No we didnt take them. So yes we got the BB all I am saying is its not possible to have every single parent stay home for 18 years to raise a child, as sad as it is its just not possible. My mom would have loved to stay home with us but she couldn't because she had bills to pay bills that I don't think the government should have to pay for the life of a child.

We as parents are responsible for the kids, if one parent can stay home awesome if they cant then they cant. There are plenty of partnered people in this forum who have to have both parents work to survive so should one of them be able to quit and have the government pay the difference?

Some people are making this about single mom bashing when its not its just the reality of life. I feel the same about partnered parents, single dads.
    I think you are missing the point people are making. A vast majority of SAHM's be them partnered or single, don't want to stay home until the kids are 18. Many want to work. But the logistics make it too hard. CC is too expensive. They may not have family around to help. There are no places available. Employers want their staff to work until 6pm, not 3pm when pre school ends and they have to rush out to pick up. As a married woman I have a husband to share the load of picks ups.

I'm a SAHM, with a husband that works and studies full time. We are ttc our third. When that child is at school I will return f/t. I personally couldn't handle being at home, paid by the govt until they were 18.... I would go stir crazy.. and that's no offence to those that do, horses for courses

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    What needs to happen is for the govt to very heavily subside CC for EVERYONE. More women would return to work, and earlier. So the extra years of tax would pay for what the govt pays.

I would also like to see pre school/prep completely free. I'm in NSW and we earn just under 50k a year (so not even middle class) and I pay over $300 a term.... and that's for only 2 days a week
    I agree, the earlier a parent can get back into work after baby the better for long term employment. I would like to see something similar to Child Action, It is a great program that helps a ton with child care when you are trying to get back to work. Here is a link I am sure someone will find a problem but the system is pretty nice IMO http://www.childaction.org/families/...re/default.asp

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I'm not saying every child should have a parent at home, my husband works and I work part-time. I believe if a parent wants to stay at home until their child is at school, then everybody should have that choice if they believe it is in the best interest of their children.
    Isnt that already the case? This doesnt cut in until the kid is school age giving parents the option of staying home until they hit school or a bit later if your single.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathermy View Post
    It's interesting isn't it, I would hazard a guess that good portion of Australian families are receiving more than the dole in the form of ftb, BB etc, simply because they are able to pop out babies, which lets be honest, doesn't exactly require an education or specific skill set. Being able to procreate doesn't make us special and yet most entitled families are more than happy to accept the extra help and face no judgment or stigma for doing so.
    Completely agree. Someone with a large family, with mum at home, and Dad on an ok income of say 70k, would be getting probably the same money in FTB as a single mum with one child.

Yet the irony seems to be lost on some...

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Clementine Grace  (30-11-2012),ToonZie  (01-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Just a couple of things on the middle class help factor.

I have held down a job with a minimum of 20 hours a week work since I was 14 & 9 months. Not once have I been eligible to receive any payments from the government, not when I was studying full time (I just had to study and work a full time job) not when I got made redundant. Thankfully I ended up getting another job straight away but that was after applying to over 300 jobs in 3 weeks, everything from super menial jobs right up to jobs that were more of a 'well it's along shot but I might have to fake it till I make it.' DH was out of work for over 6 months and we got nothing, not even a health care card. He then worked his a55 off on an apprentice wage for 4 years whilst we tried to pay for IVF.

Now I am 6 weeks off having our first baby (after 5 go's at IVF for medically diagnosed infertility, which the government gives you sh!t all back for now) and finally I am able to get some for of help from the government, 18 weeks of paid maternity leave, after that time I will have to go back to work, because hubby 'technically' earns too much for us to get anything. We don't live an extravagant life, we live in a 3 bed, 100 year old house an hour out of town.

Now I don't have a problem at all with paying taxes, don't have a problem with those going towards paying Newstart and other assistance packages for those in need. I don't agree that single parents should be dropped back to the basic newstart allowance. I understand that not everyone is able to secure employment, I have seen 1st hand how many job applications come from a seek ad, (one company I worked for received over 1000 in 48 hours) I would like to see some more of the money going into education to help people who are on long term unemployment benefits obtain jobs, or potentially even some more partnerships between the government and private enterprise to support this.

But I DO have a problem when people say that PPL and the baby bonus and things such as that should be heavily means tested. Why should I be deprived of the opportunity to spend time at home with my baby just because we have worked our absolute butts off to make sure that we never had to use government assistance, so that it was available for people that had no choice.

Middle class families are usually only middle class families because they are working incredibly hard to be that way, take one wage out of the equation and you very quickly drop from being middle class to being lower.

OK, my rants over. I'm sorry if I have offended anyone but it makes me really angry when people suggest that middle class people shouldn't be entitled to assistance. Sometimes they need it too, especially when it comes to things like PPL and baby bonus.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Grebbeci For This Useful Post:

CaitlinTaylor  (01-12-2012),ToonZie  (01-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Hang on hang on hang on.

do those of you who "pay tax" (which is tecnhically all of us unless we miraculously manage to not buy things which have GST included) do you REALLY think your personal tax and your husband's tax payments, unless you are a HUGE income earner or run a large business, cover yours and your children's expenses?

your medical care. Your children's medical care. Your education. Your children's education ( and yes private schools are also assisted by the govt, as well as private health). Your CCB. your CCR. your FTB. The environment. I could go on and on and on.

we are ALL assisted by the govt and yes, most families (even two parent working family) receive govt benefits to the tune of those on the dole receive.

i despise the "my tax money" attitude. Gosh, my dp and i both pay income tax, tax on our shares, gst, tax on the business. That doesnt mean we believe we are somehow propping up 'dole bludgers'. We do not personally fund them. I have nothing to hold over them nor make them feel as though they owe me something. Because they dont!

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

RobinSparkles  (30-11-2012),shelle65  (30-11-2012),ToonZie  (01-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    Hang on hang on hang on.

do those of you who "pay tax" (which is tecnhically all of us unless we miraculously manage to not buy things which have GST included) do you REALLY think your personal tax and your husband's tax payments, unless you are a HUGE income earner or run a large business, cover yours and your children's expenses?

your medical care. Your children's medical care. Your education. Your children's education ( and yes private schools are also assisted by the govt, as well as private health). Your CCB. your CCR. your FTB. The environment. I could go on and on and on.

we are ALL assisted by the govt and yes, most families (even two parent working family) receive govt benefits to the tune of those on the dole receive.

i despise the "my tax money" attitude. Gosh, my dp and i both pay income tax, tax on our shares, gst, tax on the business. That doesnt mean we believe we are somehow propping up 'dole bludgers'. We do not personally fund them. I have nothing to hold over them nor make them feel as though they owe me something. Because they dont!
    Not sure if this was aimed at me or not, but as I mentioned, I have no problems with tax money being spent on unemployment assistance or other forms of assistance.