Closed Thread
Page 14 of 38 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peanutmonkey View Post
    The bottom line is there is always going to be some that abuse the system. But why should the genuine people, trying to get ahead, improve their life etc, have to live on such a pittance.

I don't know the solution but it definitely doesn't sit right with me that some people suffer because others abuse the system.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using BubHub
    They shouldn't. I wish there was a better way too of weeding out the ones who abuse it and really make others suffer. These are tough times and anyone could lose their job and find themselves homeless.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

Laydeebugxxx  (30-11-2012)

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovemyfam View Post
    Ok so you're for all not just the before 06 parents, although just single parents? What about married or partnered parents its ok for them to have this done to them?
    This part of the conversation was about the single parents who get 'transitioned' to Newstart when their youngest turns 8. I have not looked into all the ins and outs of what occurs with partnered parents.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Push to increase inadequate dole rejected.

I have employed two people from a job agency. One was a mum returning to work after 15 years out of the workforce and other one a younger person with no work experience just trying together a foot in the door. The job agencies provided the employer with an incentive which was about $1500- at the end of the first 3 months of employment and another $1500 at the end of six months of employment. This worked well as it helped cover the costs of the extra training these people needed, and a couple of manadatory certificates they needed to obtain. But instead of the job agency having to organise the industry specific training we organised it as the employer.
    It meant that when recruiting you have less to lose by paying for training, inductions etc as opposed to employing someone who already had these skills.
    I think their should be more encouragement and help to businesses to get them to give genuine job seekers a go who may not have the experience of others.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jez For This Useful Post:

ToonZie  (01-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    This part of the conversation was about the single parents who get 'transitioned' to Newstart when their youngest turns 8. I have not looked into all the ins and outs of what occurs with partnered parents.
    Fair enough.

Quote Originally Posted by jez View Post
    I have employed two people from a job agency. One was a mum returning to work after 15 years out of the workforce and other one a younger person with no work experience just trying together a foot in the door. The job agencies provided the employer with an incentive which was about $1500- at the end of the first 3 months of employment and another $1500 at the end of six months of employment. This worked well as it helped cover the costs of the extra training these people needed, and a couple of manadatory certificates they needed to obtain. But instead of the job agency having to organise the industry specific training we organised it as the employer.
    It meant that when recruiting you have less to lose by paying for training, inductions etc as opposed to employing someone who already had these skills.
    I think their should be more encouragement and help to businesses to get them to give genuine job seekers a go who may not have the experience of others.
    I agree this is a good idea

Thanks
    Reviews

In a country like Australia, no child should be raised in poverty.

I find the fact that studying single parents etc are forced to live and bring up children on new start unconscionable.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chew the Mintie For This Useful Post:

delirium  (30-11-2012),peanutmonkey  (30-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    No one is saying the dole should be a grand a week. Then I would agree there is no incentive. But the dole is just over $400 p/f. Nothing. People on payments not only can't pay their bills, but they can't afford public transport all the time to go to interviews and cold canvass. There is no money for a nice outfit or a hair cut that might set them above the 300 other applicants. So it's a cycle. Once they are out of work for a while, they still have the issue of no money to look for work, but also have the 'unemployable' stamp on their forehead. Employers see they have been out of work a year and think there must be something wrong with them, so don't hire.

Honestly, if it's such a good life, go on the dole and the fact some people always seem to miss the fact they take middle class welfare in the form of BB or FTB but then rag on people on the dole always amuses me. All the payments are a leg up. Saying they aren't the same is just semantics.

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    But you have a husband who doesn't work and who can take care of the kids, some people don't have that luxury.
    Agree. When you have a non working partner or family child care and thus availability is unlimited.

Quote Originally Posted by Mummajugs28 View Post
    Yeah so do I? Biscuits and dip for DH and treats for dessert are the extras.. Your groceries must be made out of gold.
    Is this really needed? I have a family of 4 and we spend around $150-$180 a week. We eat lots of fresh fruit and veg, healthy meals. What does it matter what she spends? Would you like it if people made rude comments like your kids must be hungry? how do you possibly survive on that little? sounds rude doesn't it? bc it is.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

ToonZie  (01-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Chew the Mintie View Post
    In a country like Australia, no child should be raised in poverty.

I find the fact that studying single parents etc are forced to live and bring up children on new start unconscionable.
    They could bring them up on no help from the government as another option (which would be a lot harder every cent the government gives should be appreciated IMO), the government helps how it can. I know of single parents who have not gotten help from the government and still managed to raise a child (children), work a job and go to school. I know not everyone can do that but that's why there is help out there to be used and used properly it works great in most cases.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovemyfam View Post
    Ok so your for all not just the before 06 parents, although just single parents? What about married or partnered parents its ok for them to have this done to them?
    partnered parents go on newstart too. The important difference is that PPP is the the same as partnered dole. So different payment - same amount. Single parents lose over $100 p/t which is huge when you are struggling as it is.

I actually support the move for SAHP's to return to work. My issue is 1) for single parents that are looking for work or studying they should get the same amount they did before but have to fulfill the criteria i.e. studying or looking for work 2) the logistics of returning to work. For those of us with a partner, it's easier to avoid day care fees, to have them pick up the kids from school bc they finish earlier than you. There are often no places, it's too expensive etc etc

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    I do think that Newstart (and several other welfare payments) should be increased.

Lets not kid ourselves, living on newstart (even if you get FTBA, FTBB and rent assistance) ... its not a life of luxury. The vast majority of people would not do this out of choice.

I would like to see the breakdown of the total $ paid to Long term unemployed, shorter term unemployed, the amount of training etc ... I think people would be surprised at the actual % of those 'dole bludgers who dont want to work' as opposed to those who are on welfare for say 1-2 years before finding their feet.

This opinion might not be that popular here - but I do think that several of the 'middle class welfare' type payments need to be reviewed as there are many, many people who receive welfare who do not actually need it to survive. Thats not to say its not helpful, just that its not necessary and with limited resources, I would rather the bigger portion of the welfare pool go to those who are living below the poverty line.

For example in my own situation, when DD was born I was entitled to FTB part B, the baby bonus and some other assistance. Did I need that? No. Was it nice? sure ...

(and yes, I did take the money. I take whatever tax deductions and entitlements the government tells me I can, and pay the tax the govt tells me I must. Having more money simply meant that I was able to donate more money to the charities and people I wanted to help rather than giving it to the govt for them to decide who to give it to).

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

delirium  (30-11-2012),Pregnor  (30-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Sorry I don't really follow what you said at all.

People can't bring children up on no help from the government unless they have an income.

Do you have a job lovemyfam?

For single parents to receive government assistance so they can study and improve their career outcomes benefits everybody.