Closed Thread
Page 12 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: Push to increase inadequate dole rejected.

And the training system in place is flawed, my neighbour is on parenting payment partnered, and not eligible for job seeker courses til her youngest is 6.... How is it helpful to not provide training til after her payment changes?

**Mum, Dad, Big boy (Dec 08) and Baby girl (Feb 11)**

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Pregnor For This Useful Post:

PomPoms  (30-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    I think this is a big problem. Everyone on Centrelink tends to lumped into the same basket as those who don't want to work and have somehow eked out a living on the Newstart payment.
    I agree , and its really unfair. I know a lot of people in the undesirable category but i don't lump everyone together. But for the grace of god, go I. It could happen to anyone, anyone could loose their job and not be able to find another one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    There is a saying: you can judge a nation by the way it treats its most vulnerable citizens. I can honestly say that I am embarrassed to be part of a community that pays people who have lost their job, or are studying, or have finished school, less than half of the minimum legal wage. It is not enough to live off.

I work across the road from a lot of homeless people, who live in the parklands. With a baby. There are so many issues preventing people from "just getting a job". I find the 'just get a job' saying to be such a white, middle class saying because not everyone is blessed or able to do so.
    Ah yes but didn't you know that free bus tickets and clothing vouchers will even up all of that disadvantage and then there will be NOTHING stopping them from getting a job? The know-it-alls who pay tax think so, so it MUST be true!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to shelle65 For This Useful Post:

ToonZie  (01-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakois View Post
    I think it's a fairly accurate assumption for the majority of those posting. Maybe not ALL, but definitely most.
    Im glad you said most not all. My best friend worked as a psychologist for centrelink for 7 years, helping to try and get the long term unemployed into work. At least 5 other close friends work in state and national social research looking at poverty cycles, wage gaps, welfare to work and single parents. Please don't assume we are all uneducated and don't know what we're talking about.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

Lovemyfam  (30-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Push to increase inadequate dole rejected.

Quote Originally Posted by 2Bboys View Post
    Yes - it was a huge help to our family and was very much appreciated.
    I believe you are being very hypocritical then!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

intruderalert1234  (30-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think industry and big business need to work with governments to have more programs where people can do training with the aid of centrelink which then feeds straight into a job. I'd rather see money go towards investing in people so they can make a living in the long term, rather than just handing out payments for 10 or 20 years.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shelle65 View Post
    Ah yes but didn't you know that free bus tickets and clothing vouchers will even up all of that disadvantage and then there will be NOTHING stopping them from getting a job? The know-it-alls who pay tax think so, so it MUST be true!
    LOL oh yes, I got a job, why can't they? I am sure there are just LOADS of employers looking for homeless people in their 50s with mental illness to come and work for them. Pretty sure that is a requirement in most job advertisements!

actually, those silly people... Why don't they just work for a bit and then go on workcover?! Duh!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

shelle65  (30-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Push to increase inadequate dole rejected.

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I believe you are being very hypocritical then!
    I don't see how receiving a short term payment such as PPL or baby bonus is comparable to receiving payments beyond my youngest child turning 8?

Thanks
    Reviews

This is why I hate money. I genuinely do, and wish it didn‘t exist. I hate the way humans treat each other when money gets involved. It can be just horrendous to watch. No one, in this day and age, should live in poverty. There is simply no reason for it. 50 dollars a week won‘t be all that much individually. 100 a fortnight. With the rise of the costs of living, in comparison to how much people can earn or recieve from centerlink, 100 dollars isnt much. It doesnt go far.
    If people don‘t think the amount should be raised, perhaps look into lobbying food, water bills, rent, power(which in Tasmania has just gone through the roof for EVERYONE) to be lowered?
    There are people in Tassie whose usual power bills were 500 for the quarter, max, who are now recieving bills for over a grand. It‘s happened to a lot of people, and their usages havent changed, and the discoubt you get with. Health care card isnt that much.
    There‘s no where to shop around for your fruit and veggies, either, as just in the Hobart area there is only one fruit and veggies market, then you have the choice of woolworths or coles.
    Rent for a bedsit in the worst places to live are up to 200-250p/w. And then water gets paid on top of that.

So, 250 per week is NOT enough to live on in most states. It‘s strange that you would think it is.

Then there‘s trying to get a job. For every job available in Tassie, there are 20+ people applying for it. I had to move states to get one, and i was one of the few lucky people who had enough for a plane ticket because id JUST lost my job.

Sent from my HUAWEI-U8850 using BubHub

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jennaisme For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (30-11-2012),Laydeebugxxx  (30-11-2012),ToonZie  (01-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Ok I wasn't going to get involved in this thread because I have very strong opinions on the subject but anyhoo.

When my dp lost his job he tried so hard to find another. He was calling, emailing, cold canvassing around 50 businesses a week all with not so much as an interview. Now my partner is skilled in many areas and he's not at all fussy about what he does for a living so long as he has a job.

He was signed up with a job network, they were useless, constantly calling him and asking him if he'd be interested in applying for jobs and when he'd say yes they wouldn't bother putting him forward for any of them. They made him do stupid useless courses that they ran, like interview skills and resume writing, he already knew all those things. When he finally found himself a job and needed assistance paying for a certificate that was a requirement of his new job they wouldn't help him because he was on the wrong tier and they'd used up all his allocated funding making him do useless courses.

Also how anyone is expected to live on less than $250 per week is beyond me. After you take out rent there is nothing left, that is if you have enough to even pay rent.

We pay really cheap rent of $250 per week.

Now I know you could say, well what about public housing, the waiting list for our area is around 20 years !

Nearly everyone I know who is on new start hates it, its not enough !

Fortunately I was able to go full time with my job otherwise I don't know what we would have done.

The simple fact is, the cost of living is going up and centre link payments need to reflect that.

Oh and just for the record, the only assistance I have ever received from centre link is ftb.

I'd much rather see 'my' tax dollars being spent increasing benefits rather than giving the pollies pay rise after pay rise.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cluckcluck For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (30-11-2012),happychick1385  (30-11-2012),intruderalert1234  (30-11-2012),Laydeebugxxx  (30-11-2012),ToonZie  (01-12-2012)