Closed Thread
Page 11 of 38 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Push to increase inadequate dole rejected.

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Have you ever received any bonus or ppl?
    Yes - it was a huge help to our family and was very much appreciated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I love how in these threads there is always a bunch of people who think they know how the system should run and how people should live their lives. With no social science degree, no psychology degree, have never worked with the long-term unemployed and have no personal experience of being long-term unemployed. They know everything because why? Because they pay tax! Of course!!

3. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to shelle65 For This Useful Post:

intruderalert1234  (30-11-2012),Izy  (30-11-2012),PomPoms  (30-11-2012),RobinSparkles  (30-11-2012),ToonZie  (01-12-2012),Trillianx  (30-12-2012),WorkingClassMum  (30-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by shelle65 View Post
    I love how in these threads there is always a bunch of people who think they know how the system should run and how people should live their lives. With no social science degree, no psychology degree, have never worked with the long-term unemployed and have no personal experience of being long-term unemployed. They know everything because why? Because they pay tax! Of course!!
    Dont assume that about everyone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by shelle65 View Post
    Didn't you know paying tax gives you the right to judge them bludging welfare recipients?!

We as a family pay a lot of tax. I would love to see more of 'my tax dollars' go to those struggling on centrelink.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Clementine Grace View Post
    I don't. I assume it about the majority. And my assumption is correct.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I think it's a fairly accurate assumption for the majority of those posting. Maybe not ALL, but definitely most.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think it is enough to live on.

A friend of mine recently wanted to start looking for work she is a single Mum. As she has not worked in a long time she wanted some help and to register with a job agency. She went into the Salvation Army agency and was told that as her youngest is still under 6 (the child is 5) that they can not help her with a job prospects as she was not an 'urgent' case.

I don't understand why they are not helping her now before she has to rely on a Newstart Allowance. So while they want people to be on a Newstart Allowance for a minimum period of time they won't help people prevent having to rely on an amount that you can not afford to job hunt.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Push to increase inadequate dole rejected.

My issue with it, is if you increase it, will that reduce the incentive to get work?

A 100 a week increase will cost the govt 8 billion $, 15 billion if it moves to all payments not just start.

Imagine what services could be created to help break the poverty cycle... I think help and training programs that could help break these kids out of the cycle. There are programs in the mining sector up north, which seem to be making a difference, but they are funded by mining companies, not the govt, the main focus for the kids to see the parents go to work everyday

**Mum, Dad, Big boy (Dec 08) and Baby girl (Feb 11)**

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Pregnor For This Useful Post:

Lovemyfam  (30-11-2012)

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I was just saying that unfortunately there are people who ruin it for everyone else which is probably where the attitude of not wanting to increase the level of benefits comes from.
    I think this is a big problem. Everyone on Centrelink tends to lumped into the same basket as those who don't want to work and have somehow eked out a living on the Newstart payment.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Ana Gram For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum  (30-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    There is a saying: you can judge a nation by the way it treats its most vulnerable citizens. I can honestly say that I am embarrassed to be part of a community that pays people who have lost their job, or are studying, or have finished school, less than half of the minimum legal wage. It is not enough to live off.

I work across the road from a lot of homeless people, who live in the parklands. With a baby. There are so many issues preventing people from "just getting a job". I find the 'just get a job' saying to be such a white, middle class saying because not everyone is blessed or able to do so.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

intruderalert1234  (30-11-2012),shelle65  (30-11-2012),ToonZie  (01-12-2012)