Closed Thread
Page 10 of 38 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    That old chestnut? My hard earned tax dollars Get over yourself!
    Indeed. I also work hard. But I am treated like scum by society and Centrelink.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Push to increase inadequate dole rejected.

The dole should be a temporary payment until either work is found or a course to obtain work is completed. No way should tax payers have to pay for people to sit on their bottoms whilst others go out and work, why would we increase the amount? It should be at an amount that you can live but are looking for work because its not enough to live long term on.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Push to increase inadequate dole rejected.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora21 View Post
    The dole should be a temporary payment until either work is found or a course to obtain work is completed. No way should tax payers have to pay for people to sit on their bottoms whilst others go out and work, why would we increase the amount? It should be at an amount that you can live but are looking for work because its not enough to live long term on.
    230$ a week,
    With due respect 230$ a week does NOT even cover BASIC living costs,
    I live rural and even out here you can not get a 1 bd flat for under 200$ a week.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510b using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I am pretty sure the point is that it isn't enough to live on. Even the inquiry agreed that it wasn't enough.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Quote Originally Posted by OJandMe View Post
    Just as an aside.... while these parents are busy 'preparing'....... who is looking after their child/ren?

A childcare centre? Which is still $16-25 a day per child even with 100% child care benefit...

So say you are studying part-time from... oh.. the birth of your last child (as you would need 8 years of part-time study to complete a 4 year degree) and you were paying that extra $120-$150 approx a fortnight in childcare to actually have time to study...

Deduct that from you fortnightly allowance... and then add the cost of textbooks (say $200-$300 a semester) plus travel costs, computer costs, printing costs...

I think it's absolute BS.... I think parents should be able to PARENT while their children are little, and then be given a leeway in their parenting payments once their child turns the cut-off age, if the parent is engaged in full-time study, until the completion of their degree. At least then they've got a blooming chance.

And that's just one child.... what if there are 2 or 3 that need childcare/afterschool care? As we all know, these facilities are not cheap.

And don't say 'study with them at home' if you haven't done it, don't suggest it, it's freaking hard.
    Of course parents should PARENT but why does that mean the government funds your decision not to be a working parent?

A diploma can get you a decent job and can be completed in 12 months (full time study is really not 5 full days per week either). As a PP mentioned studying parents are usually entitled to JET payments making child care far cheaper than the amounts you have quoted.

You seem to have a strong sense of entitlement.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    Very few people can afford to do much more than sit on their bottoms with the payment the way it is. It is hardly something comfortable.

FWIW- the cheapest rental in our local housing commission area (without actually being commission but because it is seen as the cheap part of town) is $330 pw which an unemployed person seems to be entitled to about $70 pw rent assistance. Seems their unemployment money has been spent in full, without buying a single grocery, having electricity or water, medications, transport, communications or anything.

Nobody on unemployment is living it up. They are struggling simply to exist.
    I agree with almost everything you are saying, i honestly don't know how families can live on that small amount even in the long term. Plus anyone, even someone with a good job, could find themselves on unemployment benefits especially in these uncertain times.

I dont agree that everyone is struggling on unemployment benefits. I know two families in Qld (distant relatives) who have 5 grown up kids each and the entire families are long term unemployed. They kids range from 18 to 36, they have probably at least 20 kids between them, they have no intention of ever working and they flaunt going going down to get their centrelink money (on fb) and then going to hit the bottle shop. Not an exaggeration. Its life at the party and they have zero intention of ever finding a job. I think usually, people know one family or one person like this so it puts a bad taste in your mouth. I know it is the minority (well i hope) but i can totally understand why people feel they don't want benefits to some groups increased.

I wish there was a way of increasing benefits to people who have just become unemployed who need a boost to try and get back on their feet. Not really sure that people who have been on the dole for 5 or 10 years or more without working should really get an increase.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Bboys View Post

(full time study is really not 5 full days per week either).
    Quite right. I just had a whole weekend off study. The first time in nearly 3 years of study. Otherwise, full time study for my degree is 7 days a week, all year round.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ana Gram For This Useful Post:

CMF  (30-11-2012),PomPoms  (30-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    I lived in an area where this is quite common TBH. And I guess if you are sharing the cost of rent 5 ways it probably isn't too bad. But of course this means as an adult you have to live with your siblings and parents, you of course have a bigger house and are entitled to less rent assistance. But TBH I feel sorry for these people more than envying them. I see the ones I went to school with, many have never owned a car, they have addictions that need to be fed (eg. buying their 3 long necks a week), they rarely holiday and I don't think any of them have ever had a passport, yet alone a reason to use one. Their lives are pretty simple, as is their education levels. They recently did an assessment of the education levels of the parents in the public school situated in that area- and it came back the average parent had the literacy level of a 12 year old. This means once their kids finish primary school they would struggle to give them help with their homework, the lack the money to pay someone to help, they often feel embarrased about their literacy and avoid doing things that involve writing, their employment options are limited to what is technically classed as unskilled labour- something we have an abundance of people needing and not enough jobs... and this is justified to their children. Because how many times have we heard on the hub 'thats how I was brought up and I turned out ok...'
    and hence another generation is born. A few manage to escape the situation but many don't, as they simply don't know any better.

Perhaps this is something we should remember next time we are at Woolworths and the self service aisle is available. Instead of using the self service line, provide someone with a job and take the aisle with a cashier. Keep a job for the next generation because lets face it, not everyone is designed for academia- and even then lots of education doesn't not ensure you will have a job for life either.
    I totally get what you are saying, and I don't envy people like that at all. I wish they could find a way to get out of the cycle, but any time we have tried to help them they don't want it. My partner has tried to get a few of the younger ones jobs, and they just don't want to do it when they can get centrelink. The children are neglected, about half have been taken away but they boast about it always been life at the party and never having to work. They all have their own commission houses. So i'd say at least 8-10 commission houses between them.

I find it extremely sad and its a vicious cycle that is difficult to break. We've tried our best to help and encourage the younger ones to get into a trade but its just hopeless. They don't want to work. We've tried paying for a term of footy or soccer for the kids but they just won't take them.

I was just saying that unfortunately there are people who ruin it for everyone else which is probably where the attitude of not wanting to increase the level of benefits comes from.

I wish there were better programs to really encourage the long term unemployed in that situation to get into some kind of basic training so they could build up their skill level in an area that interests them and even allows them to get into part time work.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by 2Bboys View Post
    Of course parents should PARENT but why does that mean the government funds your decision not to be a working parent?

A diploma can get you a decent job and can be completed in 12 months (full time study is really not 5 full days per week either). As a PP mentioned studying parents are usually entitled to JET payments making child care far cheaper than the amounts you have quoted.

You seem to have a strong sense of entitlement.
    Have you ever received any bonus or ppl?

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Push to increase inadequate dole rejected.

Just as a random note, while the almighty tax dollars(ninjad the term. Is awesome) us being thrown around, people on new start and youth allowance actually get taxed on what they get.

Sent from my HUAWEI-U8850 using BubHub