+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Scared of the dark

My DS is 2yrs 8 months & all of a sudden has become scared of the dark & that there are monsters in his room. He has a grobag temperature light that is on all the time & we keep telling him that monsters don't exist & show him there is nothing in his room that will hurt him. Any one have any ideas on how to stop this, is it just a phase???

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

My girls went through the same stage at a similar age.
    I have no idea how they got the idea in their head although (and this probably sounds ridiculous) there was a lot of weird and creepy things happening in the house we were living in at the time, even I was scared of the dark lol.

Lots of littlies go through it though.

αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I'm still scared of the dark..

Thanks
    Reviews

I have found that around age 3 both my boys started wanting a light left on and their door left open. Ds1 is now 7 and still prefers it that way. I guess maybe they actually become more aware of their surroundings as well .

Thanks
    Reviews

I'm scared of the dark too, I have to quickly turn the light on in the bathroom at night before going in lol always have been. I'm scared of being alone in the house at night too. And mirrors at night *shudder* I'm a bit of a wuss

Thanks
    Reviews
    My step-daughter recently went through this... for a while nothing worked. Showing her that there was nothing in her room didnt help. I gave her a special drink one night ( milk and honey) and told her it would keep the monsters away... that worked a treat.. Now she sleep with a stuffed toy that lights up when you press its tummy and she finds that comforting... A spray bottle filled with something that smlls nice may also work if refered to as Monster Spray..

Thanks
    Reviews
    All three of mine went through this at around age 2. I think it's pretty normal.
    I had to start leaving doors opened and bathroom lights on.
    My youngest is the only one I had to go to the extent of a nightlight in the room.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My daughter is 2.5 and just started asking for the bathroom light to be put on when she goes toilet, even in the day time.
    She also talks about monsters too - this is from a 4yr old cousin, stories and childcare ..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Give her a spray bottle of water with a few drops of vanilla essence. Spray under the bed before bed and make a big scene about how the spray will keep the monsters away.

My 5 year old is still scared of the dark. Up until a few days ago she slept with a lamp on. She broke her lamp the other day so now has to sleep in the dark. She took it quite well. We leave the door open for her so the light from the night light in the hall lets her at least slightly see in her room.
    We figured there's no harm in letting her have a lamp on, there's no point forcing a child to face their fears when they don't really understand it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I'm one who is going to go against using some sort of defence system against monsters. Doing so just tells her that there ARE monsters and surely that's more frightening the end?

I'd just tell her there's nothing to worry about and give her a clock radio or a night light or something so it's not pitch black. I'd also be explaining how monsters are most certainly not real.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

HugsBunny  (05-03-2013),mumkc  (25-08-2013)