+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 7 month old dislikes solids and dropping milk feeds - HELP

Hi All,
    My DS2 is 7 month old and on recommendation from the ECHN has been on solids since 5 1/2 months however he has never really taken to it. At the moment I am offering breke and 5pm dinner and it takes a lot of coaxing for him to eat it. He has shown no interest in it, keeping mouth shut and turning head away when approaching with spoon.

I have tried giving him finger foods of watermelon, pasta, brocoli he just picks them up and plays with them. He doesnt like the dummy net things either.

My other concern is he is now refusing breast. He feeds at 3am, refuses to feed at 7am, bit of an effort and usually only a quick feed at 11am, then gets a bit better by arvo and bed feed.

Has anyone else expereienced this? The ECHN is concerned about his weight gain, have taken him to Dr to rule out urinary tract infection.
    May be a phase, he has no teeth and his gums are showing no signs of any coming through but is becoming quite stressful for us both

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Have you tried sweet potato? DS had rice cereal first up and it turned out he just hated it. Since trying sweet potato we haven't looked back.
    Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews

DD loved some of the Raffertys fruit purée and the smoothies. Vaalia (spelling?) also make a "my first yogurt" which DD loves. It is ok from 6 months. I know he can't live soley on these but they may spark his interest.

DD also loved purée pear and prune. Soak the prunes overnight then simmer for about 5 mins, purée when cooled. They are nice and sweet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Just a thought, DD eats solids and recently I was feeding her from those pouch bags things instead of the glass jars ( hope you know what I mean...) anyways she refused the spoon (for whatever reason!) but loooved eating it from the pouch opening... So maybe that might work

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Have you tried mashed banana, pumpkin or sweet potato? DS really enjoyed these, it also takes a little while to get them into a rhythm, just keep offering and over time it should improve.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi
    My almost 8 month old is quite similar....she hasn't gained much weight in the past 6 weeks since starting solids...she will clamp her mouth shut and turn completely away from me often when trying to eat.....she will however eat yoghurt from a pouch readily..this is about the only thing so far I have found she actually likes....I'm just going to keep preserve ring with different stuff..she hates vegetables, hates them all types...very frustrating I know.

Thanks
    Reviews
    wow that giving them the pouch is a great idea my 6 month old won't eat anything unless she feeds it to herself but freaks out if she bites off a chunk of really solid food like banana.

Now we just need someone to invent a pouch you can put homemade food in