+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Would you invite someone you don't like to your wedding to keep the peace?

I would ask them over/go out for dinner and see how she is, if you are genuinely uncomfortable and don't like her then I would not invite her but just in case it's all just gossip it would be a shame as you started out friends and i would at least talk to her about what was said ?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Amira  (29-11-2012),Mulva  (29-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Looks like I am going against the grain here I would take the high road graciously (lol) and invite her. With weddings, most people you want to invite, but there are always a few you have to invite. If you want to invite a very close friend, then you would normally invite their partner/ spouse as well, even if you don't get along with them or don't have much to do with them, or dislike them. New or casual boyfriend/ girlfriend, no, but long-established partner/ spouse, yes. Not ideal, but I would invite her It is tough though when you only want to invite one half of a partnership...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Would you invite someone you don't like to your wedding to keep the peace?

It's the one day in your life that is just about what you and DH want to do, so do exactly that. My hubby's sister wanted to invite her best friend to our wedding (her justification was that she'd be lonely as she was single, though 1/3 of the guests were her family AND she was a bridesmaid so wouldn't have even got to see her friend for most of the day!), but I don't like the girl. The funny thing was, SIL didn't ask us if this girl could come, she got their parents to ask DH. I think she thought he wouldn't say no, but he actually surprised me and said he'd talk to me about it. I didn't care taking all the blame coz DH doesn't have a problem with the girl, so he told his parents she wouldn't be invited because I didn't like her, and they never mentioned another word about it :-P

Thanks
    Reviews

Yes i would invite her to keep the peace and also the friendship with DF's mate (if he is a really good mate).

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Yeah I think you should invite her. There are partners in our group that most of us don't like but we put up with them for our friends' sakes. It's what you do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnyd View Post
    I would invite her to keep the peace. Especially if it means her partner won't come (which I assume you want there) don't stir the pot or wreck a good friendship with her partner - which will happen. Personally I'm also really not a fan of inviting a person and not their partner - I think it's really poor form.

When it comes to groups of friends (and family!) sometimes you need to be the bigger person. There were a few people we invited only because they are "part of the group" rather than them being close/good friends - we thought it would be nicer/easier this way rather than pick and choose who comes which can get nasty. Turns out a few years down the track we are good friends with them now and I am glad they were at our wedding.

My besty chose not to invite a certain couple from the group (the only ones who were not invited). It was awkward and has caused awkwardness at group events since. While it's their wedding and I understand why she didn't want them there, I also think sometimes you just need to be polite.
    This. I would invite her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I would send an invite with the friends name and say '& partner'.. That's be your way of getting a little dig in but still inviting her..

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BabyG4 For This Useful Post:

Cleigh  (29-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    One of my biggest wedding regrets is inviting people I didnt really want to invite.

It included extended family I hadnt seen in years and several children.

Do what you and your DH are happy with. Its your wedding!

Thanks
    Reviews

Your OP is so similar to one I posted a few months ago! We've decided not to invite that person.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No I wouldnt invite. Like PP have said, your wedding (as well) if you dont want her there simple dont invite her. I would hate for someone I dont like being at my wedding.