+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Would you invite someone you don't like to your wedding to keep the peace?

DP and I have the same circle of friends, my issue is with one of his good mates partner. We both very much dislike her. I started off being friends with her, but since then we have found out about several nasty things she has said about us, example - they won't make good parents, their marriage will never last. She hasn't congratulated us on the birth of our baby 2 months ago. When you are with her she is sweet as pie to you, but says nasty things about other people. We haven't seen her in over 6 months. We haven't out rightly had an argument with her, so if I were to see her I would be polite and make conversation, I just don't like her.
    If we don't invite her to our wedding, firstly it means her partner (my DPs friend) wouldn't come, but I know it would cause massive gossip and she would b!tch about us to everyone (although she probably already does). I just don't know if its worth the drama it would cause, but then I also don't really want her there! What would you do?

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    In that situation I would only because I would invite so-n-so +1 and she would obviously be his +1 so may as well just invite her and be done with it.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to London For This Useful Post:

HCoops  (29-11-2012),HugsBunny  (29-11-2012)

bambino is offline Autistic Today, My Genius Tomorrow
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Can you have a private chat to your DP's mate? Just the 3 of you?
    Express your concerns to him perhaps? But then it depends on how he'll take it hey.

Hmm a hard one.

DH and I didn't invite our SIL's parents to our wedding because we didn't like them, we couldn't care less what they said about us. So it made that decision an easy one
    Much to DH's parents disgrace that we didn't invite them, but it DH and I who were paying for our wedding, so no one else had any say really!

I suppose you could just write on the invite To X and Friend....and see who he brings?

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Would you invite someone you don't like to your wedding to keep the peace?

No, I wouldn't invite her, there are no rules stating that you have to invite a +1. I have been to many a wedding where certain partners weren't invited. Your wedding your way

Thanks
    Reviews
    if I was in your situation i wouldnt invite her, by the sounds f it one more thing for her to whinge about isnt going to make any difference, its yOUR wedding you can invite whoever you like, i didnt invite my aunty to my wedding, my mum had passed away 3 months prior and my aunty came out and said how awful i was and basically i was the reason she died (she had cancer so dont see how i could have done anything)
    BUT we invited my husbands sister, who neither of us really got on well with, (more so for the sake of his parents) yet when she got married it was a big hush hush thing and we wernt even allowed to be TOLD about it.

ultimately its your day, if yuo think she will just come and complain and whinge and suck the oxygen out of the room, dont invite her

Thanks
    Reviews

I wouldn't invite her. We didn't invite my mums bf and we didn't invite a guy that was originally going to be a best man. It's your wedding so do as YOU want. Trust me you'll regret it otherwise!

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I wouldn't invite her.

Thanks
    Reviews

I wouldn't invite her.

Thanks
    Reviews

I wouldn't invite her it's your wedding invite who you like. I was in 2 minds on whether to invite my father to my wedding and ended up inviting him because its "the done thing". Worst decision of my life he ruined the whole day for me. Hopefully one day I will get the wedding I want (renewing vows not subsequent marriage lol)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would invite her to keep the peace. Especially if it means her partner won't come (which I assume you want there) don't stir the pot or wreck a good friendship with her partner - which will happen. Personally I'm also really not a fan of inviting a person and not their partner - I think it's really poor form.

When it comes to groups of friends (and family!) sometimes you need to be the bigger person. There were a few people we invited only because they are "part of the group" rather than them being close/good friends - we thought it would be nicer/easier this way rather than pick and choose who comes which can get nasty. Turns out a few years down the track we are good friends with them now and I am glad they were at our wedding.

My besty chose not to invite a certain couple from the group (the only ones who were not invited). It was awkward and has caused awkwardness at group events since. While it's their wedding and I understand why she didn't want them there, I also think sometimes you just need to be polite.
    Last edited by sunnyd; 29-11-2012 at 15:25.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sunnyd For This Useful Post:

angelini  (29-11-2012),escapee  (01-12-2012),onkybear  (29-11-2012)