+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 33
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    2,610
    Thanks
    1,023
    Thanked
    511
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

    Default Bull Arabs?

    Ok so I have never heard of this breed what are they and how do they do with kids and other pets?

    I love Cattle dogs though so will most likely keep looking until I find one but want to keep options open and I have seen a ton of these that need homes so thought I would ask your experiences on them.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    1,932
    Thanks
    1,440
    Thanked
    585
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

    Default Re: Bull Arabs?

    I don't know much about them.

    My sister has one, she is the most loyal, affectionate, sooky dog I've ever met. She is great with kids but can get a bit excited and due to her size (I think she weighs around 80kg) can knock little ones over.

    She reminds me of an over grown Staffie lol.

    Apparently the person who bred her used his bull Arabs for pig hunting. My sister doesn't do that, her dog is like her child with fur and very spoilt.

    Sorry, I forgot to add that she's great with other dogs but not so great with cats and small animals but I'm guessing that's because she wasn't brought up with them ? If she was I'm sure she'd be fine.

    Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub
    Last edited by cluckcluck; 29-11-2012 at 11:41.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    2,610
    Thanks
    1,023
    Thanked
    511
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by maybenumber3 View Post
    I don't know much about them.

    My sister has one, she is the most loyal, affectionate, sooky dog I've ever met. She is great with kids but can get a bit excited and due to her size (I think she weighs around 80kg) can knock little ones over.

    She reminds me of an over grown Staffie lol.

    Apparently the person who bred her used his bull Arabs for pig hunting. My sister doesn't do that, her dog is like her child with fur and very spoilt.

    Sorry, I forgot to add that she's great with other dogs but not so great with cats and small animals but I'm guessing that's because she wasn't brought up with them ? If she was I'm sure she'd be fine.

    Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub
    Thanks, we have a cat and a ferret so this is why we wont get a staffy risk is just to high and I would feel horrible if something happened to my husbands cat or my daughters ferret.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    1,932
    Thanks
    1,440
    Thanked
    585
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

    Default Re: Bull Arabs?

    No problem. When I was a kid we had a cattle dog x kelpie. He was an awesome dog but he also wasn't great with small animals. We had Guinea pigs and he'd bark at them and we had chickens and ducks and he'd chase them around and try to get them.

    Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    casino
    Posts
    1,958
    Thanks
    2,916
    Thanked
    333
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

    Default Bull Arabs?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lovemyfam View Post
    Thanks, we have a cat and a ferret so this is why we wont get a staffy risk is just to high and I would feel horrible if something happened to my husbands cat or my daughters ferret.
    We have both amstaff (American staffy) & bull Arab x staffys wolfhound x bull mastif and they are the best 2 dogs anyone could ask for we got tem both as pups and they've been raise around kids cats and chickens and love all 3 my staffy thinks he's a cat cuddles cat and shares his food with it never has chased or hurt cat brilliant with kids too our cross breed is a great guard dog got him for pigging but moved so he's only been a handful of times and he's the most placid protective dog there is. Both are gentle great with kids they get jumped on poked pulled smacked and they just take it and lick the kids. I wouldn't worry about either breed with cat & ferrit or kids so long as u raise them lovingly around other pets n kids they should be fine.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to jagamoe For This Useful Post:

    cluckcluck  (29-11-2012)

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    2,610
    Thanks
    1,023
    Thanked
    511
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by maybenumber3 View Post
    No problem. When I was a kid we had a cattle dog x kelpie. He was an awesome dog but he also wasn't great with small animals. We had Guinea pigs and he'd bark at them and we had chickens and ducks and he'd chase them around and try to get them.

    Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub
    I love cattle dogs I did working dog rescue for many years and loved it. Did mostly cattle dogs and order collies (dont see too many kelpies in the states) got a few shepherds but cattle dogs really hold a special place in my heart. They do take a very stern hand tho

  8. #7
    LifeInShadesOfGrey's Avatar
    LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    5,672
    Thanks
    2,052
    Thanked
    1,364
    Reviews
    35
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

    Default Bull Arabs?

    I have a Bull Arab.

    She is a stunning dog, very intelligent, 45kgs, about 28-29 inches at the withers (at a guess). She is extremely gentle, well behaved, well mannered dog. Our girl is great with children, adults, hardly barks, great with cats and pocket pets.

    Her personality is outstanding.

    They are not dogs nsw recognised breed however there is DNA lineage going back a few decades. There is an association trying to get them recognised by dogs nsw and the ankc.

    According the the associations breed standard, our girl is breed standard spot on. Her pitfall is her colouring. It's breed standard but one of the least desired colour mixes

    Unfortunately a lot of hunters breed in other mixes and pass them off as a Bull Arab which is manking it harder for the association to build the recognition.

    Ill see if I have some photos on my phone.
    Last edited by LifeInShadesOfGrey; 29-11-2012 at 12:10.

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    2,610
    Thanks
    1,023
    Thanked
    511
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jagamoe View Post
    We have both amstaff (American staffy) & bull Arab x staffys wolfhound x bull mastif and they are the best 2 dogs anyone could ask for we got tem both as pups and they've been raise around kids cats and chickens and love all 3 my staffy thinks he's a cat cuddles cat and shares his food with it never has chased or hurt cat brilliant with kids too our cross breed is a great guard dog got him for pigging but moved so he's only been a handful of times and he's the most placid protective dog there is. Both are gentle great with kids they get jumped on poked pulled smacked and they just take it and lick the kids. I wouldn't worry about either breed with cat & ferrit or kids so long as u raise them lovingly around other pets n kids they should be fine.
    So are bull arabs pig hunting dogs originally?

    I was going to do some pig hunting with my american pit bull terriers but never got around to it I love the taste of wild boar meat. I wouldn't own a American staff or american pit bull with other animals other than American staffs or american pit bulls just not worth the risk IMO maybe English staffs are different not sure didn't do a ton of research on them and have never owned them.

    Being large breeds are they athletic? I would assume so if they can pig hunt but never know. We plan to go to the beach everyday and want a dog that will have no trouble in the heat to keep up with the family. There are so many looking for a home thought it woudl be good to get some opinions thanks for the help

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    2,610
    Thanks
    1,023
    Thanked
    511
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LifeInShadesOfGrey View Post
    I have a Bull Arab.

    She is a stunning dog, very intelligent, 45kgs, about 28-29 inches at the withers (at a guess). She is extremely gentle, well behaved, well mannered dog.

    Her personality is outstanding.

    They are not dogs nsw recognised breed however there is DNA lineage going back a few decades. There is an association trying to get them recognised by dogs nsw and the ankc.

    According the the associations breed standard, our girl is breed standard spot on. Her pitfall is her colouring. It's breed standard but one of the least desired colour mixes.

    Ill see if I have some photos on my phone.
    Thanks, papers and registration dont mean a lot to me. Some of the best working BCs and cattle dogs I have owned had no papers just a hand written pedigree

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    1,932
    Thanks
    1,440
    Thanked
    585
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

    Default Re: Bull Arabs?

    Oh yes. I remember when we had friends over and we were playing in the back yard he'd herd my sisters and I into one group and our friends into another. Mum and dad didn't spend much time training him and he hardly ever got walked. I think if he'd been properly socialised and trained he would have been fine with small animals.

    Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub


 

Similar Threads

  1. V and Red Bull
    By hopefulmama2b in forum Pregnancy & Birth General Chat
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 22-06-2012, 19:08
  2. 2yo bull in a china shop
    By crunchie in forum Development Stages
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 17-06-2012, 12:53

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Einsteinz Music
Make music at Einsteinz Music in age-appropriate class in Sydney's Inner West, Eastern Suburbs or North Shore. For ages 6 mths - 4 yrs. All music is live! Christmas Gift certificates available for full term or casual classes. Call 0431 338 143
sales & new stuffsee all
CarmelsBeautySecrets
Growing your own natural nails is easy. Years ago, I devised a simple and very effective technique which really helps boosts the nails' growth in as little as three days! And most importantly keeps them that way.
featured supporter
HuggleBib
The HuggleBib is not "just another" baby bib. Sure, your child may be a messy eater who gets more food ON them rather than IN them, so you dread cleaning after feeding times! Well the HuggleBib is THE best solution to help with all these daily tasks!
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!