+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Unhappy Best Careers/Jobs for Mums

I am 23 and plan to have children in the next few years..

In preparation, I am going to studying a certificate or Diploma for job security.

Looking for the BEST CAREERS FOR MUMS??

I would also love to hear about Careers I can do (like hairdressing) where I can work from home, whilst my children are young.
    Or Childcare where I can still be with my Children

The pay for both those profession are about $43-45,000 a year which may not be enough in life? Does Job satisfaction out weigh this

I can't afford to do a Apprenticeship as my bills won't get paid

Can I please have some advise/comments/tips/thoughts?

Thanks Ladies, really appreciate it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Best Careers/Jobs for Mums

I nurse (as a registered nurse) do I have a degree but it enables me to work around my husband so even though I was working full time out girls were only in crèche 3 days a week. I am planning on going back to work 2-3 days a week once bub is a bit older and I wont need child care and I earn better money working nights and weekends than I would working day shift. Apart from being away from my family when they are home enjoying weekend bbq's etc it's a good career

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Meags82 For This Useful Post:

wuukii  (29-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

I second becoming a nurse. My mum and my SIL are nurses. When my mum had us, she went back to work when we were about 3 months old for two 4 hour shifts per week. She did evening/night shift so dad could look after us. It worked out great for my parents as they had us in their early 20s and were extremely poor. My SIL only does one shift per week, also in the evening so my brother can watch their girls.
    The best thing about nursing is you can work while you study. A friend worked at a nursing home while he did his nursing degree. Started there about 6 months into his degree. It gave him lots of experience and it was easy to get a job because nursing homes are apparently short staffed.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to nudge88 For This Useful Post:

wuukii  (29-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I'm a scientist. I work anywhere up from 8hrs a week whatever day I want at whatever times I like between 6am-6pm. And there is overtime options ie weekend work.

I can increase my hours easily or decrease them.

FT i would make 75-80k a yr. It did take me 3yrs studying plus another 2yrs on the job training FT and a huge exam.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

wuukii  (29-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Best Careers/Jobs for Mums

I'm a pathology collector at a medical centre. I work Mon - Fri 830 -330 and earn around $1200 per fortnight after tax.

I did on the job training and then did a certificate III in pathology. Some places offer the pathology course, I think from memory it costs around $1500 but because I was employed by the company running the course I didn't have to pay.

The hours are good, I can drop my kids off to school on my way to work and pick them up from school on my way home. The work isn't difficult and the pay isn't too bad.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

9. The Following User Says Thank You to cluckcluck For This Useful Post:

wuukii  (29-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I am a vet tech but not here yet (still trying to figure that out) and it was pretty good because a lot of the vets close at about 6 which allowed me to get to the day care to pick up the kids.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Lovemyfam For This Useful Post:

wuukii  (29-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know a few nurses who do night shift ect as they have little kids .. .. Shift work is terrible on your health long term .. Personally I would not chose to be a nurse and have kids ..
    Book keeping or accounting or something that you can chose your hours and work from home i feel would be ideal !!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Maybelline View Post
    I know a few nurses who do night shift ect as they have little kids .. .. Shift work is terrible on your health long term .. Personally I would not chose to be a nurse and have kids ..
    Book keeping or accounting or something that you can chose your hours and work from home i feel would be ideal !!
    I thought about going to school to be a nurse but I am too scared of bringing something home to the kids. I was going to be an ER doctor when I was younger until I learned about Aids and other things you can catch scared me away from it.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Re: Best Careers/Jobs for Mums

Quote Originally Posted by Lovemyfam View Post
    I am a vet tech but not here yet (still trying to figure that out) and it was pretty good because a lot of the vets close at about 6 which allowed me to get to the day care to pick up the kids.
    My friend is a vet nurse and has found the hours at most places to be very unpredictable. She does many shifts till 8 and has to work about every 2nd or 3rd weekend. Her rosters are often not very predictable. She's worked at 4 quite different places, from small local vets to large animal hospitals. Something to think about.

OP, I would look at working in the public service in any field that suits you (many many careers can be undertaken in the public service at various levels- HR, lawyers, town planning, event management, policy, even child care) the pay will never be brilliant but most places have extremely family friendly policies, and it's usually quite possible to move up or around within the organisation, so once your children are a bit older you can start looking for higher paid work.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovemyfam View Post
    I thought about going to school to be a nurse but I am too scared of bringing something home to the kids. I was going to be an ER doctor when I was younger until I learned about Aids and other things you can catch scared me away from it.

My dads a paediatrician he would bring bugs home ..got sick a far bit as a child .. Now hardly ever sick !! I think it helped my immunity some what .. Also helped my understanding of science and medicine a great deal !!