+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Be honest! How much did you pay for your dog?

X breed girl from the RSPCA cost us $500 as a puppy

Thanks
    Reviews

$3500 for English bulldog
    $2500 for American staffy
    $700 for chi x papilion

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    I'm looking at buying a Cane Corso ( Italian mastiffs) next year, but they are $5000 as there are only a handful of breeders in Australia and the puppies are in huge demand - they want a $1000 holding deposit before puppies are born! DH not so keen on spending so much but I just love the breed!
    Please do a lot of research on this breed before you buy one. Talk to a lot of people this is one of those guardian breeds that were meant to guard and kill not just guard but actually take out any intruder. They are a wonderful breed but be prepared to not let any dominance issues slide be stern at all times.

We would get them and Neos and a few other of these guardian breeds into rescue because they were not handled right as pups and were a danger to the public. They are freakin adorable tho.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We paid $750 for our Dane from a friend
    $0 for our wolfhound, i found her on the side of the road and adopted her

So far our dane has cost us about $500 in vet fees for a tick and because he was 'depressed'.
    Our wolfie has cost us about $3000 in vet fees. She ate rat bait ($1000) she bled out on her first heat because of the ratbait ($500), she has had two ticks ($600 and $600).

Thanks
    Reviews

$1200 for my boy and girl free, on breeders terms as I show and will breed in the future.

Any reputable, registered breeder in the long run won't make much, if any, money as they do genetic screening and the highest of care goes into raising pups and caring for parents. My breed has hip scoring done and all puppies are tested for liver shunts before going to their homes. IMO the money you pay a registered breeder is worth every penny. Even just to know that your money is going to someone doing the right thing. Having said that you need to do your research, know what genetic screening should be done for your chosen breed and make sure breeders are happy for you to see their dogs.

"Papers" don't mean vaccinations and microchip paperwork. They mean the pedigree of your pup which may not mean a lot to you but they should mean a lot to the breeder who has hopefully carefully selected the mating pair for health, temperament and breed type. After all, you have chosen your breed for these reasons and you should expect your puppy to grow into that.

As for hybrid vigour, I'm a vet nurse. Having spoken to many vets and attended many lectures, the jury is still out on this one. I believe the best way to prevent genetic disease is genetic testing, not putting breed a to breed b and hoping for the best.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to LittleLadyBojangles For This Useful Post:

Pen14  (29-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

$1250 for our GS, full papers

Thanks
    Reviews

We paid $4500 for our British Bulldog from a breeder ....she was worth every cent .....
    Last edited by RuffledPansy; 29-11-2012 at 21:37.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

$1250 for my pedigree GSD. She came from a reputable breeder.

I dont take chances with health or temperament and won't buy from backyard breeders (byb's) or pets shops. $1000 is about the average figure you'll be looking at for a pedigree dog....be careful with blue staffy's not sure what you're after, but those of that colour seem to have more skin conditions than other colours.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

$2000 for our gorgeous furbaby, from a registered breeder.

Thanks
    Reviews

There is a page on facebook called The underdog - staffy and bull breed rescue.

They have quite a few staffies come through that need rescuing/adoption.

My mum just got a 3yo black staffy from them.. She's gorgeous, desexed, vet checked etc and she was $275.

I got my purebred staffy 5 years ago for $550 with papers etc so what you've been quoted seems crazy to me unless they are blue staffies which are always more expensive.