+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 7mo's fontanelle/soft spot closing too early?

I just got back from DS's 6-9m developmental check with the community health nurse and I'm a little worried... He's going great guns in all areas, bless him, but she said his fontanelle (the anterior one - on top of this head) is quite small, and that it's a little early for it to be closing yet. She wasn't really concerned and said to bring him back in a month's time to have his head measured again to make sure it's growing at the right rate (he's right on the 50th percentile for all his measurements so he's fine ATM).

I asked a few more questions, and she said the issue is that if the skull bones fuse too early his brain won't have any room to grow, but it's actually really common for babies' fontanelles to close early (but not fuse). Naturally, I couldn't help asking then about the worst case scenario, ie what if his head didn't keep growing... She said if that was the case - and it's really uncommon - that he'd have to have cranial surgery to make more room for his brain to grow.

So, what did I do? I didn't listen to her assurances and went straight home to consult Dr Google. And here I am now, freaking out!! But that said, I read what Robin Barker had to say on the matter in 'Baby Love' and she said that fontanelle size varies tremendously from baby to baby and they can close any time from 4-18m.

Has anyone else's LO had their fontanelle close early? Looking for some reassurance from other mums please!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yeah, our child health nurse freaked us out too. Long story short, I got a referral to a paed who snorted and told me to stop listening to child health nurses. Fontanelle can close at that age and still be in a normal range. Just keep an eye on head circ, as you said.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MamaNurture For This Useful Post:

SeaShanty  (29-11-2012),sweetsugardumplin'  (29-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    lol gosh those health nurses just freak you out so much. Its why I dont go to them. My last baby, had the teeniest barely there fontanelle right from birth, like pinky nail sized. The Obs at the hospital commented but thats it. Not worried, not bothered not anything.
    She is now two and incredibly smart (too smart) with no issues whatsoever, ever.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to LotusMum For This Useful Post:

SeaShanty  (29-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks girls - I really needed that! Fingers crossed his little noggin will continue to grow normally and I'll be the one snorting down the track!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default 7mo's fontanelle/soft spot closing too early?

DD2 fontanelle closed at 8-9 months. As far as I can see her head is still getting bigger and looks normal at 2 years

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ThreePeasPlease For This Useful Post:

SeaShanty  (29-11-2012)