+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default Re: Have you ever been to restuarant on Christmas Day for lunch or dinner

This year my mum, sister and DS are going to sizzlers for lunch. I have to work so not going as i am doing breakfast in the morning anyway and would rather rest before i go to work.

Sent from my GT-I9000T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The staff are most likely going to be there regardless of whether or not you personally go there on Xmas day. Also some people might not have families to celebrate with (not unusual for people who move away for work these days) and would rather be at work.

Why not spare a thought for everyone else that has to work Christmas Day? Police, ambo's, firies, nurses, pilots etc....

You don't cross your legs when your in labour on Xmas day because you feel sorry for the midwives that are there on Xmas day and wait til Boxing Day now do you....

We rarely celebrated Christmas on the actual day there was usually someone in our family who was at work (police, jet refueller, nurse) which just made Christmas last longer!!! yay!!
    Last edited by wannawannabe; 01-12-2012 at 14:12.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes my dad used to drag us out to Christmas dinner or lunch. Always to a buffet so he could have a selection. Everyone else in the family hated it. I think it would have been better if he wasn't there

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Have you ever been to restuarant on Christmas Day for lunch or dinner

Yes - the year mum was sick and didn't want to cook. It was great! ESP the air con

I frequently work Xmas as we do our family stuff on Xmas eve not Xmas day. My dad had worked most Xmas days growing up after midday as we are usually done by then.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I haven't ever, and I didn't even realise until about 3 years ago that anyone did!

Each to their own, but I wouldn't ever want to. Christmas to us means getting to see all the family and having the old home made family favorites (we all bring a dish), so for me a restaurant would just feel strange.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Would love to but don't know of any where here in QLD that would be open ???

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by lovepurplebutterflies View Post
    RSLs, surf clubs, sizzler, some pubs, all big hotels, many asian restaurants. Our local pub is having a Xmas lunch.

Thanks
    Reviews

My husband is a chef so I am clearly biased. Before he got his current job about 5 years ago he worked every Christmas. He has mostly worked at places that do functions and/or large family bookings along with their usual service.

Fortunately, his current job is at family run place and they are excellent employers. People in hospitality sacrifice weekends and work unsociable hours all year. Chefs tend to be on salaries and work a lot of hours so if you break down their hourly pay it's pretty low. Also on salaries tends to mean they don't even get extra penalties for working public holidays, weekends, after hours. This is all the nature of the industry however and most of it is understandable.

It seems fair, that in light of all of this, they should be able to spend at least Christmas with their families! Many employers in hospitality aren't as reasonable as my husband's and will open to just to make the extra buck if the business is there!

Unlike doctors, nurses, police, etc. hospitality venues do not have large numbers of staff meaning that there's no "work Xmas this year and have next Xmas off" type arrangements happening.

Not to mention that a restaurant is not an emergency or essential service that must be open.

If you have to go out on Christmas, keep this in mind and find out how the venue staffs on Christmas Day. Pick somewhere that is giving a bonus, that isn't forcing their staff to work the day or is dividing up the day between a lot of short shifts to ensure the staff get time off with their families too!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ToonZie For This Useful Post:

halloweendee  (01-12-2012),missie_mackxxxx  (01-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    No, but sometimes I wish it was an option.

The family we have around (most of them) are jerks and/or scrooges. Christmas with them is not fun. Nor is cooking a meal for just 3 people though... when one is fussy, one can't eat much food and one is a child who therefore doesn't eat lots anyway.

I just can't justify spending over $100 a head when I can't even eat a whole sandwich in a setting and DP is fussy as hell and would probably hate it all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lovepurplebutterflies View Post
    Sizzler, there's a small pub I drive by near Shorncliffe all the time that has a sign up, a lot of restaurants in Redcliffe are, so are places in teh city... just google places and check.