+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Have you ever been to restuarant on Christmas Day for lunch or dinner

Seeing bubs is due at xmas we are considering doing this.

Did you still get the festive feeling?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I have a couple of times and its been great! And no washing up! And we always tip generously

Thanks
    Reviews

Yes definitely, great option. I'm going to be organising a Christmas platter to come here, would go to a restaurant but i don't want to be worried about children sitting still etc (will also have a newborn + 4 other children). Make things as easy on yourself as possible!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've worked christmas in restaurants many times, don't feel bad for the workers I used to always be given the choice (new years or christmas) and the pay is great, but personally I would choose to do something at home either cater or do an easy BBQ or picnic style thing. Christmas lunches or dinners at restaurants are alway overpriced and its alway crowded... to me its not worth it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ciaomamma For This Useful Post:

halloweendee  (29-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I did every Christmas for about 6 years when I lived in Nevada and my mom lived in California we would meet in Reno which was about half way between us and have lunch. It was great I did miss the whole family getting together but at least I got to see her and my step dad and the kids got to spend time with her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    There are a lot of workers out there who because of different religions don't celebrate Christmas....my friend does not believe in Christmas and always puts his hand up to work on Christmas day (just another day for him but with better pay).

We have enjoyed Christmas at home and out at restaurants and have had a wonderful time either way. Santa is usually there for the kids and it's nice to relax without having to worry about cleaning and cooking.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lydie For This Useful Post:

FearlessLeader  (29-11-2012),halloweendee  (29-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Yes and I hated it.

I prefer cooked meal at home. Could you make it BYO? We are doing it this Christmas everyone's bringing one dish and making it a heck of a lot easier! We are having it in a park with a wadding pool (ill be 24weeks pregnant).

I hate working Xmas day except the pay lol!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaomamma View Post
    I've worked christmas in restaurants many times, don't feel bad for the workers I used to always be given the choice (new years or christmas) and the pay is great, but personally I would choose to do something at home either cater or do an easy BBQ or picnic style thing. Christmas lunches or dinners at restaurants are alway overpriced and its alway crowded... to me its not worth it.
    same - every time i worked christmas or new year's it was actually a lot of fun as the customers were usually in great moods! and the tips were worth it.
    i've worked at a lot of restaurants and it's always by choice - however at one fine dining restaurant we were told we HAD to work millenium new year's or we'd be fired.
    we had already booked tickets for the falls festival so i didn't work - and didn't get fired either.

but as a customer - no, i wouldn't. hubby is a chef, we both know the food is usually pretty average, waaaay overpriced it's noisy/usually not child friendly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Pre-kids, yes, we had Christmas at a top nosh hotel in the CBD on many Christmas days and loved it. It was very much a festive feel as everybody dining was in a positive mood and the comraderie between patrons was different to when you're dining on a 'normal' day in a restaurant. That said, we never dined at the traditional 'lunch' settting, but chose to dine on Christmas evening instead.

FWIW, I used to work every Christmas day for about 3 years (wasn't given a choice) and have to admit the double time and a half was excellent compensation for missing out on a day where I would have rather spent with loved ones and it was the one day I was guaranteed to have happy, upbeat and positive patrons and that was always a bonus!
    Last edited by Mod-Uniquey; 29-11-2012 at 10:19. Reason: usual typos

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our whole family used to go out for Christmas dinner when I was a kid. It was a great way for everyone to be able to enjoy the day without the worry and stress of cooking and cleaning up for a big group (15-20 people inc kids).