+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Have you been in this position?

Quote Originally Posted by DesperatelySeekingSleep View Post
    Me too

I saw it as someone who is not necessarily pro vax, but still gave relevant advice. I'm confused as to how lmf post was argumentative. Yes gave an anecdote on personal experience but also gave advice as a no vaxxer by saying that most non vaxxer's try to avoid recently vaxxed people.

Sent from my magical black talky thingy using BubHub
    I didn't say it was argumentative, just that it left out relevant facts. The bit where she said she was pressured into giving rotavirus vax, then all got rotavirus, then the "so glad I prevented rotavirus in my baby" followed by the rolls eyes emoticon smacked of sarcasm to me.

Eta- LMF has made no secret of her antivax views in the past.
    Last edited by Atropos; 29-11-2012 at 05:51.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Crazyfamily  (30-11-2012),Madame Mayhem  (25-01-2013),Pawzette  (29-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

When dd2 was vaxxed against rotavirus I was told it was basically a gastro one and to be very careful changing nappies for the next few days as we could inadvertently pass it on to ourselves as it is highly contagious in the first few days.
    This simply isn't true. It's certainly recommended to take care changing nappies but its not highly contagious, such transmission is rare.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Op I AM in this position. My FIL refuses to get vaxxed. My hubby has told him he can't see the baby for two months. He's being a pain and sending nasty emails but he's done this sort of thing before (not about vaccine) and well..it's unpleasant but that's the type of person he is

Hopefully you friend is not this type of person and will respect your beliefs. That is all we ask from FIL but he doesn't even think vaccine will harm him just it's a waste of time and he likes to take a political stance ...so we asked him just to do it for us. He still refused. and we are ONLY asking him to get whooping cough vaccine.

Everyone else who will touch baby will be vaccinated. I'm not going to high risk places and won't have people over. I can't prevent some random with whooping cough from coming in contact with my baby entirely but I wil do my best and think my family and friends should do the same.

Ps this is FIL first grandchild...

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Have you been in this position?

Quote Originally Posted by MinkyJ View Post
    Op I AM in this position. My FIL refuses to get vaxxed. My hubby has told him he can't see the baby for two months. He's being a pain and sending nasty emails but he's done this sort of thing before (not about vaccine) and well..it's unpleasant but that's the type of person he is

Hopefully you friend is not this type of person and will respect your beliefs. That is all we ask from FIL but he doesn't even think vaccine will harm him just it's a waste of time and he likes to take a political stance ...so we asked him just to do it for us. He still refused. and we are ONLY asking him to get whooping cough vaccine.

Everyone else who will touch baby will be vaccinated. I'm not going to high risk places and won't have people over. I can't prevent some random with whooping cough from coming in contact with my baby entirely but I wil do my best and think my family and friends should do the same.

Thank you MinkyJ, but I really think she's not going to be accepting if I ask her and her children to stay away. I suppose that really does say something about her if this is the case

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by MinkyJ View Post

Wow, that's rough, being stubborn for the sake of it is costing him time with his first grandchild! I just don't understand that attitude, must be hard for you guys

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

MinkyJ  (29-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by redlipsandpearls View Post
    Thank you MinkyJ, but I really think she's not going to be accepting if I ask her and her children to stay away. I suppose that really does say something about her if this is the case
    Hopefully she can accept your beliefs as you have accepted hers, but if not, yes, it does say a lot about her.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (29-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would just be honest with her, you have said she has become a close friend. Just tell her respectfully. Also explain to her how hard it is to tell her because you are worried about hurting her feelings and that is the last thing you want to do.

You might be surprised by her reaction, who knows she may have already been thinking about it also.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    When dd2 was vaxxed against rotavirus I was told it was basically a gastro one and to be very careful changing nappies for the next few days as we could inadvertently pass it on to ourselves as it is highly contagious in the first few days.
    We were told the same thing that the virus is shed for a few days. we went wrong somewhere which is weird because we are very pro hand washing and all that jazz. I dunno

[text deleted by moderator]

Quote Originally Posted by redlipsandpearls View Post
    Well tell her to do some research and that you dont think its wise for her to bring the kids over because they are unvaxed and your baby will be going through a lot of vaccines in the first 6 months so your just looking out for what best fer her kids and yours. Bottom line your baby your rules if she cant accept that then she isnt much of a friend IMO
    Last edited by BH-KatiesMum; 29-11-2012 at 11:57. Reason: unnecessary

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Normally it wouldn't bother me, but with having whopping cough going around EVERYWHERE atm i wouldn't risk it

I vaxéd all my babies, i dont have a problem with people who dont but whopping cough is the main one i would be worried about.

I think you just need to be straight with her, tell her you are really sorry but with how much danger it could cause bub its not worth the risk, and tell her you will call her as soon as you bub has bad her vacs, if she cant accept that then honestly shes not that good of a friend

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Have you been in this position?

From what everyone has said, I think I'll just gave to bite the bullet and straight out say that they can't come near bub. Hopefully she is nice about it, but I don't see it going that way