+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Have you been in this position?

This is kind of long, sorry.

We're currently ttc #2 and are pro-vax. With dd, we asked our families/close friends to make sure they were up to date with their vaccinations... All good.

But I have since made a really good friend and I respect that she doesn't vax herself or her children, although I don't at all agree with her reasons as she has admitted (before she realised that I am vocal about vaccinating) that she stopped vaccinating purely because her friend told her it was bad, she hasn't researched at all.

My issue is, I want to give my newborn the lowest risk of catching anything before he/she is vaccinated. My friend will want to bring the kids to visit at the hospital when I have bub, no doubt wanting a cuddle and we regularly catch up (atleast once a week). I don't want to lose our friendship and cause conflict, but I don't feel comfortable having a newborn around them heaps.

How would you handle the situation?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Be honest ... No way would anyone I know be near my newborn if they are unvaccinated !!!!

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

I'd want you to just come right out and say it, wouldn't bother me.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

Izy  (03-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

I would be honest - personally I cannot fathom ANY argument to not vaccinate children from deadly diseases and would not be putting my DDs life at risk

6. The Following User Says Thank You to gnomesy For This Useful Post:

beebs  (25-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: Have you been in this position?

Quote Originally Posted by headoverfeet View Post
    I'd want you to just come right out and say it, wouldn't bother me.

I should add that she is quite nasty in regards to the vaccination debate, even though she never has any valid points other than 'why would you care about my unvax'd children playing with your vax'd children if you think they work' which I agree with.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Find some real life articles about newborns dying from whooping cough and say 'this is why I need to limit baby's exposure to your family for 2 months; I respect your choices but there is a very real possibility that my baby could become sick'. She'd be heartless if she pushed you after that.

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Marepoppin For This Useful Post:

beebs  (25-01-2013),dancingchipmunk  (03-02-2013),LoveHeart  (28-11-2012),MinkyJ  (29-11-2012),soccer mum  (30-11-2012),~ElectricPink~  (29-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by redlipsandpearls View Post
    I should add that she is quite nasty in regards to the vaccination debate, even though she never has any valid points other than 'why would you care about my unvax'd children playing with your vax'd children if you think they work' which I agree with.
    To which I would reply with "but bub would be unvaxed at the time, and I want bub to be safe from becoming sick". Explain to her that once your newborn has had its vaccinations, then her kids are more than welcome to visit, cuddle etc. but till then, you want to keep your child safe from something that could seriously harm the baby.

Hope this makes sense. Baby brain has me muddling my words a lot. Lol

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smidget3004 For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (28-11-2012),soccer mum  (30-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    i'd just be honest as well. you are being disrespectful or nasty, you are just trying to lower the risk for your baby, nothing wrong with that at all.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Marepoppin View Post
    Find some real life articles about newborns dying from whooping cough and say 'this is why I need to limit baby's exposure to your family for 2 months; I respect your choices but there is a very real possibility that my baby could become sick'. She'd be heartless if she pushed you after that.
    One day we got into a discussion about it all and I showed her the story from about the Macaffrey(sp?) baby that died from whooping cough and she said that unvaccinated people play no role in people getting sick.

Oww, this probably won't end well regardless of what I say But at the end of the day, a healthy baby is more important.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by redlipsandpearls View Post
    One day we got into a discussion about it all and I showed her the story from about the Macaffrey(sp?) baby that died from whooping cough and she said that unvaccinated people play no role in people getting sick.

Oww, this probably won't end well regardless of what I say But at the end of the day, a healthy baby is more important.
    Your friend is a reckless moron. Unvaxed ppl play no role in babies getting sick? Where do the diseases come from then?
    Sorry OP but cut her loose. Her complete and utter disregard for your child's life means that she is not your friend. Do you want to keep a friendship only to potentially lose a child?

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marepoppin For This Useful Post:

intruderalert1234  (28-11-2012),LoveHeart  (28-11-2012)